Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having surgery next week...

Hi, i am finally having surgery next week, at the beginning i wanted the sleeve because was less invasive but my doctor told me bypass was a better option for me. I am a little worry about consequences or side effects (dumping syndrome) from this surgery. He said I do not need to do a diet before surgery and that is kind of opposite of what i heard before. Any experiences?

Hi, i am finally having surgery next week, at the beginning i wanted the sleeve because was less invasive but my doctor told me bypass was a better option for me. I am a little worry about consequences or side effects (dumping syndrome) from this surgery. He said I do not need to do a diet before surgery and that is kind of opposite of what i heard before. Any experiences?

I'm booked in for later in the year and have no pre-surgery diet planned because my BMI is on the lower side (33). Are you in the same boat?

My surgeon explained they often need to shrink the liver, spleen fat deposits down to assist with the laparoscopic approach but it's less of an issue for lower bmi patients and instructed my dietitian to skip it.

Good luck.

I would follow what your doctor says and try and stay away from fatty foods two weeks before your surgery. My mom had bypass and she loved it and it was the best fit for her. The dumping syndrome isn’t that bad but certain things will definitely hurt and feel like they are stuck so just be aware of how fast your eating. Another trigger my mom has for dumping is too much sugar will make her dump. But other than that it’s not bad. You’ll do great! And goodluck on your journey!

I am also having bypass instead of sleeve and I was also told no preop diet. My BMI is 35.6. I have a few people in my support group who are in the same situation so maybe it is more common than you think. My surgery is April 13th. I'm almost there.

I have the sleeve and I can still experience dumping
It's never a hard and fast rule with this but which ever tool you get, you'll be happy you have it.
I also did not need the liver shrinking pre op diet (I put myself on one anyway)
Just the Clear Liquids 48 hours prior to surgery and nothing 12 hrs prior to surgery

As long as you follow the guidelines there is no or minimal dumping . I’ve had no real dumping but have had sweats and in the beginning foamies but none now

Easy recovery for me

Good luck!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 178
5’6”

Hang in there! You can really do this! If you're anything like me, you might be starting to wonder if you've made the right decision. Might be a little nervous, especially after reading about dumping and food getting stuck. It's a challenge but I'm one week out and can honestly say I literally feel better each and every day.

Best of luck to you!