Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared about being big and having surgery

I know I'm having weight loss surgery so it sounds weird but I'm scared I'm so heavy and I have asthma and I'm just scared. I don't know why but my thoughts are always dark ugh I'm trying to be positive and look at it in and exciting light. Ahhh any words of encouragement will be greatly appreciated. Btw my surgery is 5/23 & I am just under 500 now....I have lost 47 pounds so far and hope to keep going even before but it's hard I lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks and wanted to cry cause I wanted more. Thanks for reading my rant lol

First, congratulations on your weight loss!! That’s fantastic! Surgery is a pretty scary thing. Especially when you’re choosing it voluntarily. But there’s a reason you’re choosing surgery. Think about those reasons over and over again. Think about not doing the surgery and what your life will be like 10 years from now. You are strong. And I’m willing to bet you’ve made it through some pretty hard times in your life. This surgery will be easier. I’m excited for you. You’re going to do great. And I can’t wait to hear about your further weight loss by the 4th of July.

1 minute ago, logicwand said:

First, congratulations on your weight loss!! That’s fantastic! Surgery is a pretty scary thing. Especially when you’re choosing it voluntarily. But there’s a reason you’re choosing surgery. Think about those reasons over and over again. Think about not doing the surgery and what your life will be like 10 years from now. You are strong. And I’m willing to bet you’ve made it through some pretty hard times in your life. This surgery will be easier. I’m excited for you. You’re going to do great. And I can’t wait to hear about your further weight loss by the 4th of July.

Thank you! I am trying to think like that. And yes I am strong I just need to keep looking forward. There is so much I want to do and I am fairly young still in my 30's so I am ready to get it now. I just don't want to chicken out.

You are,a good person, a worthy person and,although it won't be easy the end result will be worth it. Yes have the surgery now while you are still so youngm There are days you don't feel young? Guess what-- I am easily twice your age and we could share a surgery month. I was 72 last December 26rh but I am still marching towards my Day of Destiny when I will receive my RnY. It will take place at OSU- Wexner Medical Center in Columbus Ohio, I wish it b would be tomorrow. There are many things I want to do yet, my weight made hard or impossible to do. I am sick abdvtired of being sick and tired. So I am making a change and I'm glad to see we will he sharing this journey together. We will have to lose our weight longer but I am game to,the to find the fit and healthy ME buried deep inside. You will do great and I will be leading the cheers as you make your goals, and I'll turn to the others and I knew her back when she first started! I will be so proud and happy for YOU, I believe you have the stubbornness to see it to the finish. And remember if you ever get blue, and chances are, you will just come on line, we will be here for you, we so want. to help you on your journey. [emoji169][emoji170][emoji171][emoji172]

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

If it was too dangerous for them to perform the surgery, they likely would not. Lose what you can preoperatively but this is a surgery that was intended originally for the morbidly obese. My surgeon has performed on patients over 400 pounds many times.

I think all of us are nervous a bit pre-op no matter what our starting weights are.

Congrats on taking control of your life and health! I doubt your surgeon would do a procedure that was not safe. I wanted to run and seriously thought about it while I was in preop- in fact the nurse told me not to run while he was in with another patient!

I have a (private- for my eyes only), list of reasons to lose weight, embarrassing moments , etc along with pictures; I also have a list of goals that I hope to achieve with the help of this procedure, clothes I want to wear, activities I want to participate in etc... Like i said, these are private so there is no one to criticize, etc. It has been very helpful for me.

We will all be here to support you and cheer you on! Please continue to come here for encouragement and a place to vent because it is very helpful!

You're doing great and you will be fine. You will NOT believe how much better your lungs will feel when you begin your post op eating. My asthma and lungs feel so much better!!! You've got this. Keep your eye on the prize and do NOT give up. Our fat brains will say or do anything to keep us fat and down on the farm. Trust me, if your surgeon was afraid to operate on someone of your size, he woulda kicked you to the curb in the very beginning cuz they can't afford to have even 1 bad outcome. They NEVER gamble. They're like the house who only works with a stacked deck. They want 100% great outcomes!

Keep on keepin' on!

Just remember the reasons for doing it and focus on the long term gains! I’m a similar age to you and my surgery is scheduled for 4/30, I’m also a little anxious but mainly excited. It’s only now I really realise what my excess weight has stopped me doing and can’t wait to be rid of it!

There are obviously risks with any surgery bit nothing compared to not having it as far as I’m concerned. The journey to and from the hospital is probably the most dangerous part

I can relate to your fear Sunshineprincess. I am not as heavy as you are but my heart only functions at 26%. Anesthesia can cause it to go even lower so having surgery is a scary thought. Your fearful thoughts are very natural and healthy. However, it is not a good idea to dwell. Try to accept your feelings and then imagine how good it will feel to lose the weight and all the changes you will make in your life. You got this girl!

Hi. I agree with@FluffyChix when she talks about doctors not wanting bad outcomes so your surgeon wouldn’t want to do your surgery if he/she thought it couldn’t be done safely. I know it’s frightening when you review the risks. It’s almost like taking a leap of faith.

I had my surgery on 12/28/17. When I first began this process, I was 299 lbs. Just the month before I was 305. Today, I’m 243. I’m in my 40s and my surgery and recovery went really well. I said that I wished I had done it a decade earlier...in my 30s.

I felt like I was on cloud nine after surgery. It felt like such an achievement. My hope is that you’ll have a similar experience. I do know of someone who appeared to be around 450 lbs. who had surgery late February. I saw her mom and asked about her. She had a successful surgery. Her biggest concern was severe nausea (not pleasant but worth it). Brenda, the young lady who had surgery, was really happy with her decision and she was a week out when I asked about her.

You are truly courageous to continue on despite your fears. And, wow, you already have tremendous weight loss. The feeling of putting on a pair of pants or a top in a smaller size and being able to fit it feels amazing. Even more amazing is your body and how it will change - it will refresh and restore. You are worth fighting for and surgery gives you the opportunity to build a healthier life while you’re still young. Oh, the possibilities that await you...[emoji259]

I was scared too, but I knew that once I went into the hospital, nothing was stopping me, I went in, they get you at ease really quick, they wheel you back, you get strapped and you wake up feeling tired for 2-3 days, it really isn’t to bad. I know it’s easy to say but if I knew now what I knew then I would have never been scared, I also know no matter what others say your going to be scared. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself and I hope , and am sure you will come out perfect!!
Rny 1/22- no down 80 pounds!!

11 hours ago, frust8 said:

You are,a good person, a worthy person and,although it won't be easy the end result will be worth it. Yes have the surgery now while you are still so youngm There are days you don't feel young? Guess what-- I am easily twice your age and we could share a surgery month. I was 72 last December 26rh but I am still marching towards my Day of Destiny when I will receive my RnY. It will take place at OSU- Wexner Medical Center in Columbus Ohio, I wish it b would be tomorrow. There are many things I want to do yet, my weight made hard or impossible to do. I am sick abdvtired of being sick and tired. So I am making a change and I'm glad to see we will he sharing this journey together. We will have to lose our weight longer but I am game to,the to find the fit and healthy ME buried deep inside. You will do great and I will be leading the cheers as you make your goals, and I'll turn to the others and I knew her back when she first started! I will be so proud and happy for YOU, I believe you have the stubbornness to see it to the finish. And remember if you ever get blue, and chances are, you will just come on line, we will be here for you, we so want. to help you on your journey.

Sent from my VS880PP using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you very much. It is great to hear so much supportive comments. I am stubborn and I know I can do this. Just good to have a place to talk about the fears and doubts when they come up. Good luck to you and I can't wait to see your successful journey as well.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement and for just being here to listen. It is great to have this supportive place. I do try to tell myself it is a surgery for big people and it will be ok. My surgeon has done many and some bigger than me so I should just have faith. Part of me just wants to get to May and be done and the other part is like whoa time is flying lol. I'm sure I will be on here ranting more over journey and hopefully in a few months I'll be comforting newbies as well. Thanks again for support and just listening/reading my fears as this helps me more than you will ever know :-)

What surgery ate you having? I found the sleeve to just be the simplest compared to bypass. For my sleeve, they made 5 small horizontal incisions, only one was even close to an inch. The only thing bad, is done pain you get with the largest incision, which should last a week. No pain from my stomach.

Sent from my XT1609 using BariatricPal mobile app