Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does your stomach feel normal?

1 week out and I feel great! No different that pre surgery! I'm able to meet Protein and liquid goals (I'm still on full liquids).

The first couple of days were not fun because of gas but once that was resolved I have been great. I took pain pills for the first 2 days bc of gas but nothing, not even Tylenol, since. Today is the first day I have not felt run down at the end of the day.

If it weren't for the incisions I would not know I had the procedure.

1 week out and I feel great! No different that pre surgery! I'm able to meet Protein and liquid goals (I'm still on full liquids).
The first couple of days were not fun because of gas but once that was resolved I have been great. I took pain pills for the first 2 days bc of gas but nothing, not even Tylenol, since. Today is the first day I have not felt run down at the end of the day.
If it weren't for the incisions I would not know I had the procedure.

Ohhhh that is music to my ears!!

Looks like we are almost identical in terms of height etc Do you have a surgery date?

Looks like we are almost identical in terms of height etc Do you have a surgery date?

Tomorrow!!!! LOL I am pretty much freaking out but trying to remain rational with what little strength and cognitive skills I have left after being on Meal Replacement shakes and having low carbs all week! When was your surgery? Good grief I can go back from this reply to see if you mentioned it. Lol

Ahh yes! One week ago was your surgery! I need to follow you as reference cuz of our similar stats!

I know after surgery you can be in pain...some more than others. Do you actually feel like your stomach has been cut? If so, when does that feeling (pain) go away? After 6 or so months when your stomach is supposed to have healed fully, do you still feel your stomach or do you forget anything ever happened?

I forget constantly that I had surgery,
My stomach feels normal but make a lot of noise , not loud but noticeable.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, bookworm1983 said:

I can't seem to eat slow enough! I get pain in my stomach and burp a lot. Any tips from anyone that helps?

My date was the day before yours, so we are likely at the same place food wise. I was able to eat shredded chicken salad for a while there, but got tired of it. Then I was cleared to introduce new foods. I feel discomfort with a lot of "regular" foods meat/veggies/fruits/grains. I can eat nuts and Protein Bars for some reason.

Anyway, just trying to be super aware of eating ridiculously slow is the first thing, and I struggle with it, but am constantly trying to improve that. I've backed off some of the more dense foods for now and often have something similar to this: yogurt/granola/chia seeds/pureed berries/unflavored Protein Powder = total 1/2 cup at a time. That is dinner most nights and sometimes lunch too. 3 Tbs of the unflavored Protein powder adds 21 grams of protein and I cannot taste it at all. I use regular low fat yogurt as I can't tolerate the taste of Greek yogurt, but the reg. adds an add'l 3-4 g of protein. I also add a packet of Benefiber to keep that intake up.

But when I do get that pain or a "clogged up" feeling (with burping or hiccups) I will have 1-2 Wintergreen Lifesavers, which actually help a lot with the digestive process for me. Something with the mint - Peppermint would work similarly I'm guessing since I know the tea is good for stomach issues. If I still feel pressure or any type of reflux symptoms at that point, I take 1-2 Tums - again the mint flavor works best for me. Then, since drinking too soon after is a no-no, I have found that sucking on ice cubes/ice chips helps me feel a little better, is almost as good as being able to drink something without the pain/stretching issues, and a whole cup can take 30 mins or more to finish.

Those are just a few tips that help me! Good luck :)

Yep! Yep! Yep! Normal as can be!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 12:29 AM, logicwand said:

LOL... I hope I question whether they did anything too! Boy, you seem so lucky. Hope you are seeing some good results too.

I made my husband hide the scale so I would not be tempted to weigh before Monday which is my 2 week check up, however.... a pair of pants that I could barely button now fit fine! This has just been so much easier than I imagined (so far), I'm walking 4 miles per day etc. One thing, I just hate all of the Protein stuff (drinks, shakes etc) so I've copied some of fluffy chicks ideas and am making my own "soups" with yogurt, protein powder etc. and last night I slept on my stomach for the first time!

How are you doing?

1 hour ago, Taylor5 said:

Anyway, just trying to be super aware of eating ridiculously slow is the first thing, and I struggle with it, but am constantly trying to improve that. I've backed off some of the more dense foods for now and often have something similar to this: yogurt/granola/chia seeds/pureed berries/unflavored Protein Powder = total 1/2 cup at a time. That is dinner most nights and sometimes lunch too. 3 Tbs of the unflavored Protein powder adds 21 grams of Protein and I cannot taste it at all. I use regular low fat yogurt as I can't tolerate the taste of Greek yogurt, but the reg. adds an add'l 3-4 g of protein. I also add a packet of Benefiber to keep that intake up.

What brand of protein powder do you use?

5 hours ago, sillykitty said:

What brand of Protein powder do you use?

I buy the Bariatric Fusion meal replacement powder. It is intended/sold as an actual meal replacement product - i.e. just add Water and that's your meal, but I started out getting it because they sell it in single serving packets and I wanted to try something without spending $40 or more on a huge tub, in case it tasted awful. I figured out that each tablespoon of it has 7 grams of protein (I figured out all the macros for my food journal, but don't remember off the top of my head). At first I just added one tbs to various things to test out the texture/flavor. I put it in Vitamin Water and while it didn't add a texture or different flavor, I feel like it may have made it taste a little sweeter or something - I'm not exactly sure but I didn't like it. But I can add it to literally everything else - yogurt, applesauce, mashed potatoes, oatmeal, homemade frozen protein pops & fruit pops, and it has no added flavor or texture to me whatsoever, and being up to 3 tbs per serving, has really made it easier to get my protein in. I'm buying it by the tub now. Everyone is different, but I highly recommend it.

I made my husband hide the scale so I would not be tempted to weigh before Monday which is my 2 week check up, however.... a pair of pants that I could barely button now fit fine! This has just been so much easier than I imagined (so far), I'm walking 4 miles per day etc. One thing, I just hate all of the Protein stuff (drinks, shakes etc) so I've copied some of fluffy chicks ideas and am making my own "soups" with yogurt, protein powder etc. and last night I slept on my stomach for the first time!
How are you doing?

Ok, so I was really groggy after surgery but not in any kind of pain ....till I had to start drinking fluids. Within 30 seconds of swallowing anything, I experience a sharp, excruciating pain on my right side. Obviously this makes me want to drink less. Lol. But it is really disconcerting to me because no one else has had this exact issue. I told my doctor twice before I was discharged and he seemed to think that it was fine and it will go away. Other than that? Yeah, I’m doing great! Thank u! [emoji41]

6 months out and my stomach feels normal, about the only time that it does not feel normal is when I go LONG periods of time without eating or drinking something. I can not explain the feeling but its not hunger its rather painful and I know that I need to grab something to eat soon! The only other complaint that I have is that I now burp more than ever have in my life! Dr recommended a probiotic that I now take regularly, it has helped some but after I eat I still burp some, but I will gladly take that over what I was dealing with! Those are the only two issues that I have and to be perfectly honest both are minor in comparison!

10 hours ago, logicwand said:

Ok, so I was really groggy after surgery but not in any kind of pain ....till I had to start drinking fluids. Within 30 seconds of swallowing anything, I experience a sharp, excruciating pain on my right side. Obviously this makes me want to drink less. Lol. But it is really disconcerting to me because no one else has had this exact issue. I told my doctor twice before I was discharged and he seemed to think that it was fine and it will go away. Other than that? Yeah, I’m doing great! Thank u!

I'm by no means an expert but it sounds a lot like the gas pain I struggled with the first few days after surgery. I forced myself to walk as often as possible and took gas x.

On 2/20/2018 at 1:12 PM, logicwand said:

I know after surgery you can be in pain...some more than others. Do you actually feel like your stomach has been cut? If so, when does that feeling (pain) go away? After 6 or so months when your stomach is supposed to have healed fully, do you still feel your stomach or do you forget anything ever happened?

I kind of get what you’re saying. After surgery I almost felt like I didn’t have surgery but I definitely feel the fullness after small amounts of food.