Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Out With the Old--In With the New!

1 hour ago, Apple203 said:

Hi, Fluffy -- you are doing such a great job!! :D

I'm intrigued with your smoothie idea, so I sent my RD an email asking if I can add spinach to my shakes yet. I've been in a Decaf coffee/milk/protein powder combo rut for a couple of weeks now, which is great for meeting Protein targets, but doesn't add much else to the party (to quote Alton Brown - haha) in the nutrition department. I'm ready to start adding fruit and veges again!

Boy can I relate to your frustration with the dietary limits. I would kill for a fresh, crispy salad, or chopped raw veges in my tuna salad or scrambled egg, but that's not in my future for another 2 months. Sigh...

Finally, I can't believe you are still stuck with the Miralax and Colace. I have exactly the opposite problem, every day after my morning coffee concoction. Go figure! I don't know the root cause, but the coffee is decaf and the milk is skim Lactaid, so I don't think its either of those elements. Its one of those things I've ignored because at least it happens every day. :unsure:

Did you hear back from your RD? I feel very blessed to get to add raw veggies back already. I swear I haven't even noticed an increase in gas! Makes me sometimes wonder just how much malabsorption she did on me?

It felt really good to drink that green smoothie yesterday. The chard made it kinda grassy/dirty tasting and it would have been better if it was smooth. But even though I'm sure it was placebo, I felt really good after drinking it. NO dumping or cramping or extra gas--and that with needing to "chew it" LOL! Gross right?

I just got to thinking that Dr. W. might be right from the perspective that until we can get more volume in, doing a "mechanical pre-delivery digestion" with a blender would help make Fiber and veggies "slider" foods. The big question was whether it would raise my BG or if it would increase hunger or make the scale go up. That's why I kept the apple skin--to have the pectin that slows down the absorption of the carbs in the apple. I really liked that I was able to get in that many ounces of veggies within about 45 minutes. I may play around in the next few days with ditching the PP powder and just adding some Greek yogurt but that really jacks up the carbs and nat. sugars. :-/ And I don't like the texture of cottage cheese or ricotta in smoothies. So I may just say wth and continue the PP.

I'm looking forward to my gs today though! LOL. As I sit her chewing my chicken and broccoli in WF Sesame Ginger dressing.

I may try to get off the Miralax tomorrow. So far it's yielding 1 Smooth Move a day. :D ;) But maybe the colace will be enough to do the same thing? And if not, then a cup of Smooth Move Tea every 2-3 days should suffice? I have no issues with any kind of intolerance--including lactose intolerance.

LOL, I am currently doing my SF Peppermint Mocha Latte with the Choco PP and Torani SF Peppermint Syrup along with the colace and miralax. It's my current crush. I'd started drinking them the year that Starbuck's came out with their Peppermint Mocha Latte, only in the old days I would use SF Hershey's Syrup the SF peppermint syrup and real cream. But the PP RTDs work so great in it! It's easy to put the cream down and step away from the ledge. I'm just using much less PP now that I'm adding the gs in the afternoon! :D

I'm sorry you're having issues following your lattes. :( Let me know what your RD says!!!

Ok, the saga of the green smoothie continues! LOL. Sorry to bore. So I took yesterday's recipe and made it all with baby spinach, added an extra 1/4oz of GS apple, a shot of SF strawberry Syrup, 3oz of cucumber rather than 2oz. I added more ice and blended the crap out of it in the regular Ninja. Much smoother consistency, but there is STILL tiny bits here and there of apple peel that makes me have to chew. I also see that today's smoothie is much bigger--32oz! Sh*t! LOL. So I split it and put half away for Breakfast. Of course it's gonna separate etc...but I'll just have to rewhip with the burr blender.

Does anyone out there know if you lose all the nutrients from the veggies if you save one for over 12 hours? I'm betting you do?

It's not that substantial in the nutrition numbers for 16oz of this:

3/4oz baby spinach

3/4oz GS apple

1 1/2oz cucumber

Totals: 53 cals; 6g protein; 0g fat; 7g carbs; 1g fiber; 6g net carbs; 4g nat. sugars.

A lot of effort for the payout. I ended up adding a Frigo cheese stick with the snack to up my Protein. Think I will have to stick with smaller drinks that have bigger protein payouts. More experiments to come. :-/

Edited by FluffyChix

I dunno how the nutrients fare as they sit in the fridge -- but somebody will, no doubt! :-)

I'm cleared for spinach/kale and flaxseed in my Protein Drinks -- woohoo!! I'm going to add mixed berries and hit 3 superfoods at once -- very excited!

Edited by Apple203

Just now, Apple203 said:

I dunno how the nuts in blended veges as they sit in the fridge -- but somebody will.

I'm cleared for spinach/kale and flaxseed in my Protein Drinks -- woohoo!! I'm going to add mixed berries and hit 3 superfoods at once -- very excited!

Wahooooo!!! That's great!!! Congrats on getting to have your greens and mixed berries and flax in the drinks! It opens an entirely new avenue of getting more veg down the piehole without forking our anatomy or increasing the caloric amounts or fat contents we're eating!

I think I'm gonna add frozen blueberries to mine tomorrow and add in more Protein and frozen spinach and re-blend it to see what happens. This was too liquidy. I am thinking that perhaps doing the frozen chopped spinach might result in less Water.

Hey Fluf,

After weeks of Protein "lattes", this morning I blended my Protein Powder with a cup of Water, 3 ounces frozen mixed berries, 1/2 ounce spinach and a tablespoon of flax seed. It was thicker and much more satisfying!!

6 hours ago, Apple203 said:

Hey Fluf,

After weeks of Protein "lattes", this morning I blended my Protein Powder with a cup of Water, 3 ounces frozen mixed berries, 1/2 ounce spinach and a tablespoon of flax seed. It was thicker and much more satisfying!!

Yay you! Did you feel a burst of extra energy? It really does help stay with you. I may start adding my psyllium husks back next week so I can discontinue the Miralax.

I'm addicted to a daily constitutional. LOL. And I'm so in need of fiber--although I'm actually up to about 10g of fiber. That's a big improvement!

Your smoothie sounds yummy!!! Congrats on your really big day! :D

2 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

I'm addicted to a daily constitutional. LOL. And I'm so in need of fiber--although I'm actually up to about 10g of Fiber.

I call it my daily consti-poo-tional.

OK, y'all. No sooner was I craving greens, than I'm feeling "deprived" and hungry and wanting more food. So weird. LOL. The cravings are out in force this week.

So I decided to do another experiment. I know that I can safely eat 3.5oz of food by weight (measure on a digital scale). And usually that 3.5oz is a mixed meal and it will ALWAYS fit in a 1/2c measure (by volume), that I actually set on the scale and tare between things in the meal (ie Protein, veggies, sauces, cheese, toppings like Grk yogurt, or sliced almonds, etc).

Today I decided to go bold and see if I could bring on the "meat sweats." (Gotta love Progressive and Flo...) So I cooked all the shrimp I had since it's SUPER low in cals and has the highest protein return. Peeled and deveined it. And measured out 1/2c volume on the scale. It took 3.2oz of cooked shrimp! Yahoooo! Under my weight limit for a meal. Score! So I added in 2tbsp of my homemade lc/low cal cocktail sauce (8cals/2tbsp) and dayum, shazam!!!!

I was able to finish the entire 3.2oz of cooked shrimp + 2tbsp cocktail sauce. I am full--but not stuffed. I feel satisfaction and don't feel "snacky."

So now I'm gonna see how long it holds me. Oh, btw, that meal gave me 19g protein; 2g fat; 3g carbs for only 107 calories.

and now I'm regretting my Protein pancake topped with natural Peanut Butter - I want a smoothie! I supposed there is lunch, or breakfast tomorrow.

Doing great Fluff! I haven't been on much but when I do, I check on you first - continue to be inspired by your strength and dedication! I went down a size in jeans this week, but damn - hubs is at work today so maybe I need to sneak into the closet and see how his jeans fit :) he's been losing as well so I'm not lighter than him yet, but I'm closing in quickly!

And Me Topaz will shine shine shine like the true jewel you are! Keep the faith and rock on!✋ Tomkitten is busy watching Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure.😛

Welcome back @Miss Topaz! I missed you! Thanks for checking in here. Your voice is important!

On a sadder note...I'm not so well behaved these past few days. I believe I can trace it back to the green smoothies and 15 extra carbs per day. Now many of you will say bullsh*t on that one. But I'm very hyperinsulinemic and know from my past history that 15 carbs can be very significant for pushing me over my limits.

I was starving and also SOOOO munchie hungry yesterday. It's been this way since April 10th (ironically, the day I started the green smoothie experiment). My will power broke down yesterday. and Iron Will (my pouch) was besieged and overrun. I had taco salad (homemade) with 4 Quest cheddar and sour cream chips.

You gasp, "Oh no! Not taco salad!!!" But see, taco salad is part of my kryptonite group. I have a hard time controlling portions. They are usually GINORMOUS. And they also usually contain things that are hard on me (like charro Beans, black beans, and/or grilled corn). Last night it contained 1/4c beef taco meat + 1/8c charro beans + 1oz tillamook cheddar + 1oz Grk yogurt + 1/2oz shredded cabbage +1/3oz avocado + 1tbsp cilantro + 1tbsp green chile salsa and 4 Quest Cheddar Sour Cream Protein Chips. That may not SEEM like a lot to you, but it was closer to 3/4c of food rather than my 1/2cup volume. It was over my 3.5oz by weight limit. And it DID NOT FILL ME UP! I wanted more even after I finished.

But sooo weird. I felt nuts guilty like I'd had a big time badass binge. My meal has 263 calories in it and 10g carbs with 3g fiber = 7n carbs. But that's about 100 to 150cals more than I've been eating per meal.

Then, less than 2 hours later I added insult to injury. For dessert I came back and ate 1/2 of an Atkins Dark chocolate Decadence Bar and and 6fl oz of Fairlife FF Milk. AT THE SAME TIME! WTF???? WTF is wrong with me? I swear I didn't even give it a thought that hey dummeh! What are you doing eating and drinking at the same time?

My dessert was 139 cals and about 7g of net carbs.

My total day I had 750calories and yet I feel like I ate 7500cals.

OMG>sooo sooo sick last night. Like wanting to vomit/gagging/praying I vomited and cramping sick. Nothing much came up except for a few foamies and drools, and tg no Big D. But it was close enough to convince me that I should never eat one of these again. The Atkins bar stuck in my pouch (I think?). I didn't realize it was chewy from lc caramel. I thought it was more like a piece of cake with icing. Big mistake!

I honestly don't even know why I bought them. I had read one of the posts on here about someone wanting a rich deep chocolate brownie and that set me off craving my old Texas Sheeth (Sheet) Cake and a glass of milk. Uggggh!!!!

But I really felt like I had lost control of my sanity with the choices I made yesterday. And all because I felt like I was coming down with a head cold and was too pooped make our grilled chicken breasts. :( And so I rationalized like the crazy woman/addict that I am, to get what I wanted. To give my body a FIX--a hit of serotonin and dopamine. My food drug buzz. So weird huh?

But in doing some sleuthing, I've realized that since I began forking with my afternoon snack of green smoothies, my hunger has increased--so has my desire for more comforty food than just KISS food. I want the comfort preferentially over the healthy right now. And see? That's my old pattern rearing its ugly head.

So I'm gonna reel it in now. And seriously have to look at my actions and have accountability for MY poor choices. I'm not gonna beat myself up for it beyond this accountability post, but I'm not gonna sweep it under the rug and claim this wasn't a screw up that has the potential to mess me up.

Sorry notserry. But everything in moderation doesn't do well with me. If you give me an inch I will take a mile. And frankly, I don't know how small she made my pouch or how much malabsorption I have cuz I feel like it isn't very much. So in many ways, I feel like I'm in the same boat I was in pre-surgery.

I'm afraid to weigh this morning but I'm going to. Ok, back. Weight was 196.2lbs. Way to reward bad behavior, body. :angry:

Edited by FluffyChix

Oh fluff—- great accountability. Now get your head out of your ass and don’t do it again! Ha

The taco salad sounds amazing and doesn’t seem like that was bad at all.... the snack may have did you in.

Today’s a new day!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 [emoji736] (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 [emoji736] (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 175
5’6”

6 minutes ago, BostonWLKC said:

Oh fluff—- great accountability. Now get your head out of your ass and don’t do it again! Ha

The taco salad sounds amazing and doesn’t seem like that was bad at all.... the snack may have did you in.

Today’s a new day!

HW 242, SW 236- (Bypass 12/20/17)
GW#1- 199 emoji736.png (2/11/18)
GW#2- 180 emoji736.png (4/2/18)
GW#3- 160
CW 175
5’6”

Ha! IKR? I was seriously dumbfounded. I take FULL responsibility, but this was before I started paying and praying and just basking in the high. I looked at the empty glass and I was like "Whah?" and then I was FUDDDDDGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEE! (only I didn't say fudge). And about 5 minutes later I was doubling over with pain and bartering with God to make the bad lady stop. Soooo funnynotfunny! LOL.

image.png.d3d6ca81908d3185021e22cbb6ac774c.png

After all that, I'm just now finishing my meal plan and my second Protein latte. It's take all morning just to get the first down. LOL. :( I should go to clears but I'd rather sell my Aunt Fanny than go back to clears. It's hard enough to get the protein lattes in. But they are the basics that have worked all this time. So I don't see discontinuing them.

Oh and the taco salad? Totes amazeballs! If you can handle 3/4c of food without a weight limit and 263 cals per meal. You should go for it!

I'll post my menu accountability soon.

Edited by FluffyChix

3 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

Welcome back @Miss Topaz! I missed you! Thanks for checking in here. Your voice is important!

On a sadder note...I'm not so well behaved these past few days. I believe I can trace it back to the green smoothies and 15 extra carbs per day. Now many of you will say bullsh*t on that one. But I'm very hyperinsulinemic and know from my past history that 15 carbs can be very significant for pushing me over my limits.

I was starving and also SOOOO munchie hungry yesterday. It's been this way since April 10th (ironically, the day I started the green smoothie experiment). My will power broke down yesterday. and Iron Will (my pouch) was besieged and overrun. I had taco salad (homemade) with 4 Quest cheddar and sour cream chips.

You gasp, "Oh no! Not taco salad!!!" But see, taco salad is part of my kryptonite group. I have a hard time controlling portions. They are usually GINORMOUS. And they also usually contain things that are hard on me (like charro Beans, black Beans, and/or grilled corn). Last night it contained 1/4c beef taco meat + 1/8c charro beans + 1oz tillamook cheddar + 1oz Grk yogurt + 1/2oz shredded cabbage +1/3oz avocado + 1tbsp cilantro + 1tbsp green chile salsa and 4 Quest Cheddar Sour Cream Protein chips. That may not SEEM like a lot to you, but it was closer to 3/4c of food rather than my 1/2cup volume. It was over my 3.5oz by weight limit. And it DID NOT FILL ME UP! I wanted more even after I finished.

But sooo weird. I felt nuts guilty like I'd had a big time badass binge. My meal has 263 calories in it and 10g carbs with 3g Fiber = 7n carbs. But that's about 100 to 150cals more than I've been eating per meal.

Then, less than 2 hours later I added insult to injury. For dessert I came back and ate 1/2 of an Atkins Dark chocolate Decadence Bar and and 6fl oz of Fairlife FF Milk. AT THE SAME TIME! WTF???? WTF is wrong with me? I swear I didn't even give it a thought that hey dummeh! What are you doing eating and drinking at the same time?

My dessert was 139 cals and about 7g of net carbs.

My total day I had 750calories and yet I feel like I ate 7500cals.

OMG>sooo sooo sick last night. Like wanting to vomit/gagging/praying I vomited and cramping sick. Nothing much came up except for a few foamies and drools, and tg no Big D. But it was close enough to convince me that I should never eat one of these again. The Atkins bar stuck in my pouch (I think?). I didn't realize it was chewy from lc caramel. I thought it was more like a piece of cake with icing. Big mistake!

I honestly don't even know why I bought them. I had read one of the posts on here about someone wanting a rich deep chocolate brownie and that set me off craving my old Texas Sheeth (Sheet) Cake and a glass of milk. Uggggh!!!!

But I really felt like I had lost control of my sanity with the choices I made yesterday. And all because I felt like I was coming down with a head cold and was too pooped make our grilled chicken breasts. :( And so I rationalized like the crazy woman/addict that I am, to get what I wanted. To give my body a FIX--a hit of serotonin and dopamine. My food drug buzz. So weird huh?

But in doing some sleuthing, I've realized that since I began forking with my afternoon snack of green smoothies, my hunger has increased--so has my desire for more comforty food than just KISS food. I want the comfort preferentially over the healthy right now. And see? That's my old pattern rearing its ugly head.

So I'm gonna reel it in now. And seriously have to look at my actions and have accountability for MY poor choices. I'm not gonna beat myself up for it beyond this accountability post, but I'm not gonna sweep it under the rug and claim this wasn't a screw up that has the potential to mess me up.

Sorry notserry. But everything in moderation doesn't do well with me. If you give me an inch I will take a mile. And frankly, I don't know how small she made my pouch or how much malabsorption I have cuz I feel like it isn't very much. So in many ways, I feel like I'm in the same boat I was in pre-surgery.

I'm afraid to weigh this morning but I'm going to. Ok, back. Weight was 196.2lbs. Way to reward bad behavior, body. :angry:

It sucks that every once in a while the hunger makes a resurgence. I am sorry you got into that situation but it's understandable. We're human, not perfect, and very worthwhile.

Thanks @Mattymatt ((hugs))! You know, none of us got to the Obesity Ball by having great habits and relationships with food. It sucks that it always feels like a bi*ch slap wakeup call to be reminded of our humanity. LOL.