Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stevia....yay or nay?

4 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

You know James, this really brings up a good point about the use of "substitutes." We're all so different! So I'm of the opinion, when you ask questions like this, OP, you almost have to examine personal triggers. Over time, with my personality, I don't do good with absolutes and abstinence. I always backslide if I put something entirely off limits. But if I know I "can" choose something if I really wanted it bad enough, it doesn't carry as much power over me. You know?

But that said, sweets have never been a trigger. My triggers are crunchy, salty, pasta-y, potato-y, ricy carbalicious temptations, along with cheesy, gooey nonsense. So using artificial sweeteners really aren't one of the things that triggers shenanigans in me. But brown rice and quinoa (supposed healthy carbs) will light my fire as quickly as Uncle Ben's white converted long grain rice and Hungry Jacks Potato Flakes (2 former secret guilty pleasures)...so I do try to avoid them as much as possible. I can't say I will never indulge in them, especially if I follow my new anatomy rules of Protein first, veggies, then if room--a bit of carby nonsense. I just won't make dishes with them as a main ingredient.

It would be the same thing for me with artificial sweeteners if sweets were my thang. I mostly believe that the dose makes the poison. And if that dose is like a hit of heroin, then run! Runaway! But if not, I'm not absolutely sure that it matters which artificial substitute you use.

Just my 2 cents. What do y'all think? Do you think real life works this way??

This! I completely agree @FluffyChix. Certain things are triggers for certain people, and you have to choose what works best for you.

I like Sweet-n-low for my coffee because it has the best flavor (to me) next to sugar. I drink one cup of coffee (decaf) per day on most days, but not all. I do it for the flavor, because I like it, so trying to substitute a sweeter that doesn't give me that flavor I want will just make me crave it until I get it. So I have the sweet-n-low because it's better than the calories from sugar, and then I'm done and don't think about it again until the next morning.

23 minutes ago, LillieDuFran said:

My oncologist says avoid the substitution.

During a weight loss effort about a decade ago, I embraced the idea of eating food and drinking drinks 'unadulterated' by Condiments and sweeteners.

No sugar, no sweeteners, no Tomato sauce/ketchup, no gravies ...

I became more and more impressed at how things tasted 'naked'.

coffee is better. meats are better. And most foods taste lovely.

Edited by Rainbow_Warrior

Every now and again I will have a little stevia in my tea otherwise I don't bother... coffee is fine without it. People have different opinions about sugars, just do what works for you!

So those of you who don't do artificial sweeteners... what Protein Shakes did you find that you liked?

I haven't ever needed Protein Shakes to meet my goal. BUT, I'm not sensitive to dairy, so was able to rely on that during the healing phase. meat, Beans, nuts, eggs and dairy meet my goals now.

Sigh... I still need a shake of bar most days! Either my goal is higher or my capacity less.

My goal has been 70g from the start.

4oz Cottage cheese 13g

4oz Beans 8g

1 egg 6g

4oz meat 25g

1oz nuts 8g

1.5 cup milk 12g

And for good measure, my Vitamins have 5g in them too. So that's 77g. Wiggle room in case I don't eat all of everything.

2 hours ago, Berry78 said:

My daily MFP target is for 90g Protein but I'll be happy to clear 75g or about 80% of the intended target.

15 hours ago, janedb said:

Unfortunately I have not really found any.

I just made up my mind to buy the best-tasting, good-value per serve Protein Shakes.

I am resolute enough to put taste aside if it comes down to it ... pretty much like taking medicine, i.e. it might not taste great but the greater goal is to get better and lose the weight.

It'll be a month or three. I'm mentally prepared.

3 hours ago, Berry78 said:

4oz Cottage cheese 13g

4oz Beans 8g

1 egg 6g

4oz meat 25g

1oz nuts 8g

1.5 cup milk 12g

And for good measure, my Vitamins have 5g in them too. So that's 77g. Wiggle room in case I don't eat all of everything.

You know this is awesome. @Berry78 Can I tell you I love you? You draw MARVELOUS pictures that really make the math concrete! I think we should all "draw" up a series of these glimpses into daily Protein post op so each of us know how to get to the finish line each day! This looks so completely do-able!

Plus the Fairlife milk you drink is super high in protein for milk and much lower in natural sugars. So maybe that's a work around for the OP too?!!

4oz Cottage cheese 13g
4oz Beans 8g
1 egg 6g
4oz meat 25g
1oz nuts 8g
1.5 cup milk 12g

Your vitamins have Protein? That's awesome!

My goal is higher than yours for sure. 90-120g.

Yeah I have the protein grams memorized for almost everything, LOL. Can meet it these days when I really set my mind to it, but I couldn't for most of a year and most days now I use a bar or shake or powder to get there too.

Aww, thanks, Fluff! I actually just drink regular milk, but Fairlife is a great alternative, particularly for those that are lactose intolerant or that want more protein/lower carbs.