Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have, on my own, not because of liquid diet or anything, dropped about 30 lbs in 3 months. I'm wearing my size 14/16's. I'm starting to wonder if I should go through with this now. I'm thrilled to be wearing this size and my goal is a 12. I just can't help but wonder if this is going to be a mistake like every single person in my life is telling me it is.

IMG_1005.JPG

Well, I am in no way shape or form a dr. But I know from personal experience that yes, once you start following the program you loose weight and think, heck I'm doing it, why bother.....Myself I'm 46, and did it once. Ive lost 100 lbs on my own twice. But the thing that most people that aren't you dont realize is that keeping it off is 60% the battle. Most of my friends and family think its a mistake as well. But they are not me......I KNOW myself. It's all well and good when your loosing it, but somewhere down the line, a couple cheat days, a couple parties, a Christmas or two and BAM I'm right back to 250 in no time flat. Just my opinion

Man you are so right. Thank you for that.

The way I think of it....there had been times where I've lost the weight on my own. But I could never keep it off. I would lose the weight and once I did, I thought "well I can eat whatever I want now since I lost some weight"...and not only did I gain the weight back, I gained MORE. It was a constant roller coaster of my weight fluctuating. I got to my highest weight I have ever been and felt like I couldn't do it on my own. That the weight was just too much to lose on my own this time. I was too lazy and lacked the motivation to want to lose the weight. This surgery has helped me tremendously and I have hope that it will help me keep the weight off in the future. Next week makes 2 months since my surgery and I've lost a little over 31 lbs.

Congratulations on losing weight on ur own , I started the program June 2016 290 lbs I was in the program for 9 months before I had my surgery during which time I had to see a nutritionist often record everything I are and drank and what time ect, by the time it came to surgery I had already lost 50 lbs, many people told me u don't need the surgery u can do this on your own, I decided to have the surgery and use all the tools I learnt in the last year and have list an additional 53 lbs . I use the nutritionist advice , stick to my goals have changed my eating habits . I'm scared if I didn't I would slowly creep back into old habits . And the weight would come back .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I've lost weight before.. I think the majority of us have given it our best effort... but the reason I'm going through with it (about same pant size as you) is to keep it off for good. I've been 40 lbs less than where I was but it came back. Congrats on the awesome work that you've done!

I'm not saying whether you should or shouldn't have surgery as you need to figure that out. But when somebody tells you how big of a mistake surgery is just think how much or what do they know about bariatric surgery?

If they had it before maybe they know what they're talking about and you should listen closely. But the odds are they know absolutely nothing whatsoever about it, and are just speaking out of complete ignorance. In which case do you really want that to influence your decision?

How many diets have you tried and failed before? If your answer is none or just a couple, then maybe you don't really know whether you need surgery or not.

Surgery should always be a last resort when you KNOW that you can't keep it off.

Complications can and do happen, and so surgery MUST be risk-benefit assessed.

@Mhy12784point taken :). I admittedly knew nothing of bariatric surgery until July 26. I have noticed however that none of these people have dealt with being overweight and the CONSTANT day to day battle we go through or at least me as for battles. And my thoughts keep going from excited to doubtful back and forth!!! I seriously don't see how I could spend my life wanting to be thinner and trying to be, and get this far!!, w/insurance paying 100%, & not go through with it I would be so mad at myself!

24 minutes ago, Aginn10 said:

@Mhy12784point taken :). I admittedly knew nothing of bariatric surgery until July 26. I have noticed however that none of these people have dealt with being overweight and the CONSTANT day to day battle we go through or at least me as for battles. And my thoughts keep going from excited to doubtful back and forth!!! I seriously don't see how I could spend my life wanting to be thinner and trying to be, and get this far!!, w/insurance paying 100%, & not go through with it I would be so mad at myself!

Trust me that's normal I imagine almost everybody who has bariatric surgery deals with the same problems, and having a borderline bmi makes it easier to doubt yourself . I've been torturing myself going back and forth for weeks and I'm a bariatric surgical nurse. I've literally assisted with hundreds if not thousands of bariatric surgeries and I still get doubts all the time. If I could have a sleeve gastrectomy it would be a no brainer for me as I think that's the ideal WLS.

Ultimately I'm definitely going to go through with it, but because of health related issues(in my case specifically it'll help with bad reflux) but we all have doubts. Just means you're thinking everything through!

Edited by Mhy12784

Good work on the weight loss. I won't try to repeat what others have said but some good points above.

I think if you polled the people on these forums and those of us who have gone through it, there is more who think we should have done it sooner than not. Like you said, those who are discouraging you to follow through haven't dealt with being overweight.

At the end of the day, its your choice, and you are the one who has to live with it. Not them. Yes, the first bit sucks, but I'm 2 months post op and down 70lb myself and feeling like this should have been done years ago. The feeling of people's encouragement and me walking literally out of my jeans as they fall to my ankles has given me some new found confidence.

Do your research. Get your referrals. Don't let fear dictate, but allow the "what ifs" drive your hope as your walk into this journey.

M

@Mhy12784what procedure are you having? You said "if you were having a sleeve gastronomy.." if that different from the sleeve?

6 hours ago, Aginn10 said:

@Mhy12784what procedure are you having? You said "if you were having a sleeve gastronomy.." if that different from the sleeve?

Just spellchecker on my phone going wacky. Supposed to day sleeve gastrectomy. I'm having a gastric bypass since I have really bad reflux and the bypass is one of the better ways to resolve it

Having surgery myself tomorrow and since January have gone from 420 to 313.8 as of this morning. I'm still going through with the surgery because I've been obese since the 3rd grade and I know better than to think I can change permanently on my own. I need a forced change.

Sent from my LGLS992 using BariatricPal mobile app