Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your reason for your obesity

Emotional eater at times but mostly I have been messed up since I had my thyroid irradiated over 15 years ago. I have never been right since even though my physician keeps telling me I'm ok.

One cause is my unhealthy diet I had. Was always eating fast food, pizza, ice cream... was diabetic, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I remember they tested my blood sugar morning of surgery and said it was so high I should be in the hospital. I laughed saying "Here I am".But seriously it was my poor food choices and just being so lazy. I didn't even want to take my kids to the park. It was terrible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Combination of poor eating habits, lack of exercise, compounded by thryroid disorder. This past year I have not been able to walk more than 5 minutes due to arthritis os.my lower back, which has added to weight gain.
I did not begin to have a weight problem until my mid twenties, the same time I was diagnosed with Hashimotos thyroiditis.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm lazy and would drive to pick up fast food instead of cooking because it sounded better. My mothers side of the family is obese and I've always struggled. Due to medical issues I had my blood tested for thyroid and other culprits since I was unable to lose with diet and exercise. Blood work came back healthy but I have that fat gene twice. The clinic offered to help me with a program consisting of chiropractic care, nutrition and all the supplements I would need to lose weight for a low $4500. I didn't go with them but went with another quack paid $2500 for same type of program with 10 lb loss. I was able to maintain weight with diet and exercise but unable to lose. Once I stopped the diet and exercise I gained 50lbs in a year. During that year I rarely have soda or sweets.

My reasons for being overweight are many: Genetics, poor eating habits, fast food, and sweets. Once I retired I gained even more because I wasn't doing much which let to depression. I got help for depression and finally started feeling better. My health has suffered from my weight so I knew it was time for a change. Being a yo yo dieter I knew that I had to stop and get help. thus I decided to get WLS. I have surgery in 7 days on 9/11.

I'm an all-or-nothing type of person. Either I'm paying attention to the minutia, or not at all.. and the weight came piling on when I wasn't paying attention. (My whole childhood and majority of adulthood).

I wish I could say genetics, or a thyroid problem, but for me, it's been a food addiction for pure pleasure. Ever since puberty hit, I've loved food for the pure pleasure of its flavor. Not sure if this qualifies as emotional eating, as I don't necessarily eat to assuage emotional pain, but I have always sought out giant portions and high-quality gourmet food. I have always loved restaurants and more recently, got into cooking complex, rich concoctions at home. I am now on a completely different path and it's surreal -- but necessary. I had my run with all that gourmand enjoyment. Now it's time to enjoy other things, like better health, a clearer head, and hopefully more energy. Seems like a lot of us eventually have a moment where we realize, "I can't keep doing this. I'll be put in an early grave."

GENETICS......... THEY CALL IT "BIG BONED" never had a eating disorder or anything..at one point my birth control "depo" caused my to gain like 40lbs so I switched birth control

Emotional/anxiety eater mainly. I am adopted but know bio parentage (relative). Bio mother not overweight nor father, but paternal grandmother was, and maternal great grandmother also.

But I was a preemie - 3lbs 6oz. Adoptive mother fattened me up, was only a little chubby as a child, and maybe 15# overweight as a teen. She also did a psychological number on me, never felt accepted really. Held adoption over my head - ' you better be glad I adopted you or you'd be dead by now.' 'Butch and Marie (natural born children) never had the stuff you did.' And then there is the baking of chocolate cake and telling me I had 'to learn to leave it alone.' Oh let's add my adopted father feeling me up at age 13 - so yeah psycho chit, eh?

But I loved them, I deserved better. Then I married a drunk, had 4 beautiful children, stayed 18 years in that. Divorced, now married 20 years to a great man. I am happy but have a few old wounds. My one saving grace was - school - and God. But God wasn't brought to me by way of my parents for sure. I am a great learner and creative and I'm pretty but never knew it or felt it.

I (like most of us) have sucessfully lost weight over and over, 7yrs ago I lost 70 lbs and got scared. A guy at work started hitting on me and I ran to food.....I didn't know that then. I know it now. Some situations that I can't control that bring up anxiety make me want to find 'a fix'. I recognize it and work on it. The weirdest things sometimes do it - movies with extreme violence or abuse - I can't watch them. Although if I have good control I can cuss at them, lol 'you f****** ba***rd, just shoot him already, and stay away from the chips/cookies/ice cream.... (there is none in the house anyway).

Pregnancies and menopause just added to it all.

Ok. I blathered on enough.

Edited by Sosewsue61

On 9/4/2017 at 6:12 AM, Siyaa Ela said:

The title pretty much says it all emoji28.png

I'm curious what caused your obesity and how did the people react around you

I've been steadily gaining weight every month for more than a year ..... I'm insulin resistant... storing it instead of using it. I follow a strict diabetic diet & have since 2005, so it's not food for me.

Grandmother's bigger, mom is bigger, sister is bigger. I've ALWAYS been the fat girl. I've managed to lose 60 + lbs twice...once gained it all back with pregnancy...and the other time gained it all back after losing three family members in a year and a half time span. I absolutely have food addiction, and can't wait to get this surgery to use as a tool in my journey to lose more.

4 minutes ago, habee said:

Grandmother's bigger, mom is bigger, sister is bigger. I've ALWAYS been the fat girl. I've managed to lose 60 + lbs twice...once gained it all back with pregnancy...and the other time gained it all back after losing three family members in a year and a half time span. I absolutely have food addiction, and can't wait to get this surgery to use as a tool in my journey to lose more.

habee, some of your urges will definitely be quelled by surgery and the restriction in place afterwards. I can tell you there's still plenty of head-hunger in me -- I find myself daydreaming about lavish Indian buffet meals... LOL... but, I know that even an attempt at 2 oz. of that sort of food would make me very physically uncomfortable, so there's zero chance of straying from my doctor's orders. People like us need to find something else healthy to substitute the pleasure we gleaned from food. I'm still figuring that out for myself. Best of luck to you!

Prolactinoma, a big pituitary tumor that causes obesity by releasing a ton of prolactin into your bloodstream so that your body wants to turn all you eat into fat storage for the adult football team it thinks you are breastfeeding. You also have no feeling of satiety so even though I ate mostly healthy, I could not do Portion Control. And as I got fatter, I hated exercise more and more. So, lots of food and no exercise.

the tumor won't be going away but already the portion control from the sleeve is fantastic. This is my head start to get good habits and get fit and strong. If I end up gaining it back because of the tumor, I'll do something else then.

Poor food choices due to the fact that I didn't have time during the week and was just to overwhelmed to make time or even make two different meals at home. Taking care of my 3 daughters and husband came first even before me. I had to cook how they like, not how I would had love to cook (less sodium). In my culture you have to make sure to cook with salt and oils and sazon the Dominican/Ecuadorian way. I was lazy as well it was like I gave up. I also would catch my self eating cause I was bored and sad I needed my ice cream. I would do juice fast lose an X amount of weight and gain double. After having my first daughter back in 2005 I gain 80 lbs in pregnancy and 20 to 30 for the other two that I was never able to go back to my normal weight. The closest I have ever got was two years ago I lost to 167 but gradually gain it back and so much more. I can say I hit obesity stage the beginning of this year. My family are also in the overweight and obese category but I can't sit here and say is due to that because I know is so much more then just genetics. I hope to finally have my tool to completely lose the weight for good.

Prolactinoma, a big pituitary tumor that causes obesity by releasing a ton of prolactin into your bloodstream so that your body wants to turn all you eat into fat storage for the adult football team it thinks you are breastfeeding. You also have no feeling of satiety so even though I ate mostly healthy, I could not do Portion Control. And as I got fatter, I hated exercise more and more. So, lots of food and no exercise.

the tumor won't be going away but already the portion control from the sleeve is fantastic. This is my head start to get good habits and get fit and strong. If I end up gaining it back because of the tumor, I'll do something else then.

Silly question but can't the tumor be removed? I had some endocrine tumors they were able to surgically remove. I know the pituitary gland means, quite literally brain surgery, but I've heard they can go in through the nose many times. Is that not possible for your case?