Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your reason for your obesity

On 05/09/2017 at 1:33 PM, zallykatz16 said:

I have surgery in 7 days on 9/11

Well, it's Sun 10th Sept 10pm here in eastern Australia. I guess your surgery will occur in the next 24 hrs my time.

Wishing you the very best experience.

On 07/09/2017 at 10:09 AM, Dakini said:

Frankly, hedonism. I like tasting food. It's stimulating.

A lot of me in this few words.

Was stout/stocky until mid thirties ... overweight by 4-9kg (9-20lbs) then a sports injury that meant that over the next two to three years I went from five sports/games per week to ZERO for a year then back to one for the next 6-7 years.
The mould for obesity was cast long before:
1** I was a lover of meat and bread from my preschool years. My granddad and uncles were bakers to several small local towns.
2** Portion Control.
3** Nearly always having "seconds" or extra serves
4** Always having a dad who insisted on a clean plate.
5** Never a binge drinker but a regular consumer of beer three or four days/nights per week from 17yo to 58yo
6** A massive Diet Cola consumer consumer 40yo to 58yo
7** Hot chips (i.e. French fries)
8** Average 3.5 cups espresso all my adult life. (Currently down to 9-10 mugs per week but weaning to cups!)
The good news. (A) Other than the sugar in beer and a couple of Desserts per week, I was a relatively low consumer of sugar. (B) When I overate, I generally overate lots of vegetables and fruit. © There is no time of my life where I have not have at least three veges per meal twice per day. (D) My snack foods were fruits ... TOO MANY fruits. I often had 6 to 10 serves of fruit daily. (E) Stopped drinking full cream milk at 13yo ... but have had about a litre (or more) of skim milk almost every day of my life since.
Thanks to all that GOOD NEWS in the last paragraph, I have never had Diabetes 2 despite passing BMIs of 35, 45 and 55 on the way to morbid obesity. Thanks veges. Thanks fish. Thanks chicken. Thanks wholemeal grains.
Honestly, I see myself as a GOURMET GLUTTON. My bad foods are minimal. My portions were high to extreme.
Q. What caused my obesity? A. Largely QUANTITY of QUALITY!

I too have always been a vegetable Water. I'm certain it is why despite a very high BMI, I do not suffer from diabetes, high blood pressure or cholesterol issues. I also think I inherited good genes on that front.

6 hours ago, CJ Sunshine said:

I too have always been a vegetable Water. I'm certain

Vegetable Water?

Typo? Maybe vegetable eater?

Vegetable Water?
Typo? Maybe vegetable eater?

Yes, that would be autocorrect at work! I meant vegetable eater

The title pretty much says it all [emoji28]
I'm curious what caused your obesity and how did the people react around you

I would eat food because it was good -- not because I was hungry -- I've never been a small girl -- I wore a women's size 5 when I graduated 6th grade, size 9 from 8th grade and 13/14 from high school

I am an emotional eater, and I am on a medication that put 60 lbs on my already heavy body. My doc is emphatic that I stay on it, so I found another way! Now, I MUST deal with the emotional eating part!!!

Prednisone & Steroid Epidural Block Injections for 20 years.

I was 140lbs until age 19. I have had body dysmorphia since age 10 or so. I thought I was super fat so I had 12K in liposuction. After the Lipo I still thought I was fat so I decided "screw it" and just started eating whatever I wanted. Thus developing a food addiction in addition to the dysmorphia. Reached my heaviest weight 10 years later, which is when I had surgery. I still have body dysmorphia and at 129lbs I still think I am gigantic. I just have to learn not to say "screw it" and start eating nonstop again... which fortunately I am still unable to do even if I wanted to because I get sick so easily now. Most days I look in the mirror and see someone who belongs in a mumu. But some days I see a stick figure. It is kinda' nutso.

Edited by mousecat88

Does anyone else feel l8j e me too? I see people, I ask still Tomkitten " Am I as big as her or him?" He constantly says "No Mom , you're not that size or you're smaller" I still fear it is still an optical illusion, perhaps I'm still Frustr8 the Fat and he's merely try8ng to be kind, so I guess my mental dysmorphua still remains. Its like I'm afraid someone or something is going to take it away, like I f9nt deserve it.

Seroquel. It made me gain weight by itself 100lbs plus made me ravenous. I also have hashimotos so my metabolism is awful. Yes, I should have chosen better foods when the seroquel cravings hit but a carrot just never satisfied it. I stopped it and with workouts dropped 50 lbs before I even saw my surgeon

I was always chubby as a kid. For as long as I can remember my grandpa and grandma were serving my sister and I as well as my cousins close to my age a full plate not a kids play like a big grown-up plate. We would not be able to get up from the table at meal time ever until we had finished what was served on our plate . For the longest time all the way through fifth Grade until my mother decided to move out and take care of my sister and I on her own without the help of her parents ( she was traveling a lot for work at the time reasoning why I would be with my grandparents) . And even after we moved whenever we would visit they would still have that role even if my mother was or wasn’t there with us. As I got older I knew I could say no to them but honestly I did not know how to tell them. Once I got into high school that’s when we started to be able to serve our own plates at their house, but I do not know Portion Control due to the mount they were service I knew it was too much but I still serve myself what I wanted. After high school and partially high school that’s when I saw my Weight go up during high school I would fluctuate from 200 pounds to 270 pounds. And always diet work out but I will always be hungry with the portions I would put down and so dieting did not work for me. About three years ago I started to Look into weight loss surgery I just never know how to approach it. Almost a year ago I had my gallbladder removed because I was in so much pain I was Admitted to the hospital to see what was the problem ensure enough I had gallstones. A week later I went to my follow up for my gallbladder surgery and the surgeon that did my surgery cannot see me for another two weeks but wanted me to be seen at one week by one of the surgeons and that is how I found my bariatric surgeon . He asked me if anyone has had talk to me about weight loss surgery now most people would probably be offended but I was not because I was actually looking into it before. So I got his card looked up reviews on him and others and And literally that day I met him I called to make my consultation and that is win my life started to change.

Momma's home cook southern food! Lol. I really dont know. I have always been big, was born 10 pounds. I dont snack. I do love carbs. I have always had bread with every meal as far back as I can remember. We were raised to finish our food and never waste it. We couldn't leave the table unless our plate was clean. As an adult, I always skipped Breakfast and ate large lunches and dinners. Combine that with loathing cardio unless I'm running for my life and voila....300 pound me!

3 babies in 3 yrs, lack of information on how to lose that weight, undiagnosed pcos & some broken/mutated gene yet to be discovered 😂

Edited by GreenTealael

I was active as a kid and didn't really run into problems until I was around 16. I don't blame my Mother (as I believe she was taught this behaviour), but her answer for everything was food. Bad day at school, let's get a pizza. Good day at school, good marks on a test, let's get a pizza. Going to watch some movies, let's get a pizza. Fight with your best friend, let's get a pizza. Food was always the feel good solution to every problem it seemed. I carried that with me for years. Stressed, let's eat, but not a little bit let's eat until I am so full nothing else matters. I would bury all my problems in a platefuls of yummy goodness that took my mind off of my problems temporarily until I needed to eat more to get some more relief. My Mother's side of the family are 90% on the heavier side, with some very heavy. Slowly they are dropping due to illnesses connected to obesity, and I didn't want to join them. As much I would love to see my Mother again one day I don't want to hurry my time here on earth, after all I am just starting to live again.

It's still a struggle, on really stressful days my mind instantly wants to go empty the cupboards. Thankfully that isn't humanly possible for me anymore, but I have had some slip ups. I am working on other ways to cope, keep myself busy and not turn to food. But like all of us, it is a life long struggle and it 's something we will have to work very hard to be and stay successful at.