Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best way to Stop Losing Weight

27 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

Lack of Fiber is one of the risk factors for colon issues and cancer.

True dat!

Just because some people don't have carvings when eating complex carbs it doesn't mean others won't. And some might get dumping from something, others might not. We are all so very different. What works for some might not work for others.

I can't stomach any legumes. Hello bloating, nausea, even vomiting. I can handle two. Peanuts and Chickpeas made into hummus. Others than that, they are a no go for me.

The most important thing is to figure out what works for you. It can be Keto, vegan, what we in Austria/Norway call "the common man's diet" (meaning a normal diet with carbs, fat and Protein, little to no fast food. Basically what grandma makes every day). Don't follow a diet because it is a trend, follow it because it is right for you, and it's something you can live with.

One thing, last time I was at my support group I was just over 4 months out, eating around 800-1000 calories. We talked about all the activity I was doing, and I was told that I seriously need to increase on days I'm very active. And I'm still in active weight loss phase. If I continued, I would slowly break down my body. I was told I need to add more complex carbs (I was doing 20g at the time) and more healthy fat just to get the calories up. Oil, nuts, avocado, seeds, especially flax seeds, I eat dairy, so I also added some more cheese.

Is it hard at times, sure, but when I on days like Saturday, have 1350 active calories, I know 1200 calories in is not going to cut it.

Edited by Meryline

13 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

@Berry78 This is a truly horrifying suggestion. I :778_heartbeat: you dearly, but no one WLS or normie needs the sugars that are added to make dried fruit. Look at the sugar/carb content of dried cranberries and blueberries. They will scare you shitless, I kid you not! *ring. ring. hello, porcelain god? get ready for a REALLY big job, I've got the dump truck loaded and backing up!* *snort*

None of the dried fruit I purchase has added sugar; instead, the only ingredient is fruit, and that's it. I also make sure they don't include sulfur dioxide (which is a preservative) or any added oils. I recommend people read labels to ensure no hidden and unwanted ingredients.

7 hours ago, Meryline said:

Just because some people don't have carvings when eating complex carbs it doesn't mean others won't. And some might get dumping from something, others might not. We are all so very different. What works for some might not work for others.

I totally agree. My post was about what I have experienced. I was very nervous about bringing back complex carbs as I said in my post. However, my fears were unfounded. I was just wondering out loud if many people fear something they don't need to. Obviously we are all different and what works for me won't work for everyone.

I think I was referring to some of the other comments on here @Apple1 People are very quick to say that this will give you dumping or that will give you cravings or it won't, when we all need to try and fail and try and succeed on our own.

I know fat doesn't give me dumping, but fat and sugar combined will. Sugar alone doesn't. (Meaning chocolate and dairy based ice cream is a no go, and that is perfectly fine)

WLS is not a once size fit all. if it were, it would be a 100% success rate :D

8 hours ago, Meryline said:

One thing, last time I was at my support group I was just over 4 months out, eating around 800-1000 calories. We talked about all the activity I was doing, and I was told that I seriously need to increase on days I'm very active. And I'm still in active weight loss phase. If I continued, I would slowly break down my body. I was told I need to add more complex carbs (I was doing 20g at the time) and more healthy fat just to get the calories up. Oil, nuts, avocado, seeds, especially flax seeds, I eat dairy, so I also added some more cheese.

Is it hard at times, sure, but when I on days like Saturday, have 1350 active calories, I know 1200 calories in is not going to cut it.

I agree. I am working on getting my calories up. It is hard some days. I feel really good and don't think I am hurting my body. It is definitely a balancing act between eating enough and exercise right now.

You make good points and I was just really pondering how many different diets can work and still be successful for WLS. Many people go low carb, I was one of them, and it isn't always necessary to lose weight.

10 minutes ago, Meryline said:

I think I was referring to some of the other comments on here @Apple1 People are very quick to say that this will give you dumping or that will give you cravings or it won't, when we all need to try and fail and try and succeed on our own.

I know fat doesn't give me dumping, but fat and sugar combined will. Sugar alone doesn't. (Meaning chocolate and dairy based ice cream is a no go, and that is perfectly fine)

WLS is not a once size fit all. if it were, it would be a 100% success rate :D

Ah ok. I just dragged my lazy body out of bed today. I should have waited till my coffee kicked in before I started responding to posts ..lol..

I have been holding off on cross training on the days I don't run because of a fear of doing too much. I feel great, but really this is a 49 year old body and I don't want to break it 😂.

I enjoy running so much that I am not willing to do less of it to do other types of exercise. This maybe misguided. I am looking into yoga though.

14 hours ago, FluffyChix said:

@Berry78 This is a truly horrifying suggestion. I :778_heartbeat: you dearly, but no one WLS or normie needs the sugars that are added to make dried fruit. Look at the sugar/carb content of dried cranberries and blueberries. They will scare you shitless, I kid you not! *ring. ring. hello, porcelain god? get ready for a REALLY big job, I've got the dump truck loaded and backing up!* *snort*

SOOO funny!!!! Thanks for the grin!!!

You are right, the simple sugars in dried fruit may cause dumping in some patients. Thank you for pointing it out! Personally I can handle it in the quantities I've tried. (We're talking a heaping tablespoon). Ants on a log.. my favorite!

Remember, if something like dried fruits are eaten by themselves, they WILL spike blood sugars, etc. But if they are combined with fats, Proteins, and roughage, then it all works to slow down the sugar absorption, making it a reasonable choice. (But everyone is different, so even if it works for one person, may not work for the next).

1 hour ago, Meryline said:

that will give you cravings

Probably head hunger for the most part.

3 hours ago, MarinaGirl said:

None of the dried fruit I purchase has added sugar; instead, the only ingredient is fruit, and that's it. I also make sure they don't include sulfur dioxide (which is a preservative) or any added oils. I recommend people read labels to ensure no hidden and unwanted ingredients.

@MarinaGirl Then please share this secret Mecca of dried fruit? kthnx.

Yours very truly,

Doubting Thomasina

@Berry78 ((hugs)). You know this makes a valid point! Who was it that said, "The dose makes the poison?"

Edited by FluffyChix

Just now, FluffyChix said:

Then please share this secret Mecca of dried fruit? kthnx.

Yours very truly,

Doubting Thomasina

Whole foods and the Natural Foods Co-Op near me do in fact sell dried fruits without any additives. They don't last very long though so you need to buy what you can eat. I am not a fan though. I much prefer whole fruits or frozen.

@Apple1 - here's a snap of the label for Whole Foods No Sugar Added Dried Cranberries. 10g of sugars per serving and a terrifying 32g carbs per serving with only 1g of Fiber makes this something I wouldn't have even if the dose of poison was sufficiently small enough. Frankly, I'd rather tear into a Snicker's or KitKat bar!

NoSugarAddedCranberries.JPG

1 hour ago, Berry78 said:

Remember, if something like dried fruits are eaten by themselves, they WILL spike blood sugars, etc. But if they are combined with fats, Proteins, and roughage, then it all works to slow down the sugar absorption, making it a reasonable choice. (But everyone is different, so even if it works for one person, may not work for the next).

This is a very good point. I always pair my berries with 4oz of yogurt which has some Protein and fat.

Honestly, I am amazed at how well my body processes carbs now. In the past if I ate say one baked potato, my BS would remain elevated for 3-4 hours and the rise was unacceptable 40-60 pts. Now I can eat basically anything and my bs behaves like a non-diabetic. I don't eat junk though, no way am I going down that road, but a serving of whole wheat Pasta does not spike my BS and this is such a change for me.

5 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

@Apple1 - here's a snap of the label for Whole Foods No Sugar Added Dried Cranberries. 10g of sugars per serving and a terrifying 32g carbs per serving with only 1g of fiber makes this something I wouldn't have even if the dose of poison was sufficiently small enough. Frankly, I'd rather tear into a Snicker's or KitKat bar!

NoSugarAddedCranberries.JPG

The fiber content per serving is 12g, so using the formula of 10 to 1 fiber to carb content. It has a good amount of fiber. Multiply the fiber content x 10 and if it is more than the carb it is a high fiber product.

I am still not eating it though, because like I said, I don't care for dried fruit.