Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best way to Stop Losing Weight

The sugar found in fruits is natural and when eaten with the Fiber of the whole fruit it is good for you. We don't have to be afraid to eat whole fruits. Now juice is another animal all together. Juice concentrates the sugar and takes away the fiber. I stay away from most fruit juices. When I was first diagnosed type 2 I was afraid to eat fruit. I am so glad I can eat them now without guilt!!

I tend to eat mostly berries, kiwi, watermelon, bananas, and grapes. I don't like peeling oranges..lol.. so I don't eat many of them. I use a ton of lemons and limes in my cooking.

I forgot apples...lol... they are very good and great for you!!!

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, as my mom used to always say!

44 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

@Apple1 - here's a snap of the label for Whole Foods No Sugar Added Dried Cranberries. 10g of sugars per serving and a terrifying 32g carbs per serving with only 1g of fiber makes this something I wouldn't have even if the dose of poison was sufficiently small enough. Frankly, I'd rather tear into a Snicker's or KitKat bar!

NoSugarAddedCranberries.JPG

Ok, rather than delete my post, let me apologize to @Berry78 and @Apple1. I sound like an insufferable know-it-all prick (despite my lack of penis) here. Of course eating no sugar added dried fruit would be far superior to chowing down on an caloric equivalent of any processed candy bar. And absolutely, what works for 1 person doesn't automatically work for another. The dose does make the poison. If you're eating 1tbsp of this, it's roughly 2g of carbs and about 0.625g of sugar--well below the recommended sugar threshold levels given by most of our surgeons! And, more importantly, if it adds the necessary variety and satisfies while keeping us marching on our straight and narrow path, then awesome! I loves me some dried cranberries and miss craisin salads! What I don't know is if I have the power inside of me to be satisfied with 1/16 of a cup=1tbsp of craisins. You know? So for me, I would have to defer these until I have better control on my bad self. Again, my apologies for spouting off and sounding like a ginormous asshat!

Edited by FluffyChix

8 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

Of course eating no sugar added dried fruit would be far superior to chowing down on an caloric equivalent of any processed candy bar

You are right, but hey I like your humor so don't stop..LOL..

9 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

What I don't know is if I have the power inside of me to be satisfied with 1/16 of a cup=1tbsp of craisins. You know? So for me, I would have to defer these until I have better control on my bad self. Again, my apologies for spouting off and sounding like a ginormous asshat!

No apologies needed. I understand that for some people the sugar in fruit is a slippery slope. If that is true better to stay away. You may find that later on you are able to have some occasionally without a problem.

My thinking is that having a serving of whole fruit is now my dessert, which is tons better than eating a slice of pie or other refined sugar treat I may have eaten in the past.

10 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

No apologies needed. I understand that for some people the sugar in fruit is a slippery slope. If that is true better to stay away. You may find that later on you are able to have some occasionally without a problem.

My thinking is that having a serving of whole fruit is now my dessert, which is tons better than eating a slice of pie or other refined sugar treat I may have eaten in the past.

I agree wholeheartedly! I can tolerate 1oz of blueberries, or any other dark berry, 1 1/2oz of Granny Smith apples or unripe pear, and 1oz of peaches. LOL. I eat them about 2-3 times per week with something else--usually a mixture of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, or a string cheese + almonds or walnuts. :D Otherwise my blood sugar spikes to 170 and doesn't come down after 2hours! :o

2 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

I agree wholeheartedly! I can tolerate 1oz of blueberries, or any other dark berry, 1 1/2oz of Granny Smith apples or unripe pear, and 1oz of peaches. LOL. I eat them about 2-3 times per week with something else--usually a mixture of cottage cheese and Greek yogurt, or a string cheese + almonds or walnuts. :D Otherwise my blood sugar spikes to 170 and doesn't come down after 2hours! :o

My bs used to do the same thing before having WLS. Now I am golden. My bs hasn't gone above 115 after a meal since 3 days after my surgery!! My fasting are in the 70-85 range every morning!

3 hours ago, Newme17 said:

Probably head hunger for the most part.

See I wonder about this also. Complex carbs do not behave the same way as refined carbs do, especially if they are high in fiber. They keep you full for a long time and for me haven't even caused head hunger. Maybe it is because I am in a good place mentally now, I don't know.

I love reading the conversations here. 😊

On 9/3/2017 at 5:23 AM, Apple1 said:

I spent 11 months eating a low carb diet, 30g net, most days. I did this because that was the prevailing advice for lowering my A1C, and the diet for WLS patients.

Most of the information I read on these forums seemed to agree with this idea and many people would add back in complex carbs to help stabilize their weights when entering the maintenance phase.

Well this has not been what I have experienced at all. I have increased my carbs to 75-90g through eating whole grains, Beans, and fruit and I am still losing at a rate equal to or higher than I was prior to the change. I have decreased my daily Protein to 45-60g from 60-80g depending on how well I do. My fat has gone down mostly because I am no longer eating meat. It varies from 30-50g.

I have not experienced my usual 2 week stall after a period of 2 weeks of loss. Maybe this style of eating is something more people should consider? I don't know, but it definitely seems to agree with my body and my metabolism. I believe healthy complex carbs are not the enemy many people make them out to be. I have not experienced any crazy cravings either and that is something I thought might happen. I am eating very healthy and don't feel any danger that I am going to start eating junk carbs.

Just something to ponder.

I believe this is where the gut bugs come into play. The good gut bugs help with our digestion, immune system, and brain (including emotions and moods) function. It is essential to create a symbiosis with them. And they don't eat fat or Protein. Only the evil ones eat sugar! The good ones need good starches and fibers.

So we do need those fibrous veggies (impossible soon after bariatric surgery though) and the natural starches to keep them happy. They thrive (and then help US thrive) on resistant starches like cooked and cooled potatoes, sweet potatoes, oats not cooked in Water, Beans, peas, (not soft) plantains and many powders like banana "flour," potato starch, inulin, etc. (green bananas are also a good source but should be avoided for WLS as they have so much sugar).

But I think what you found out through your own self experimentation should be true. Junk carbs are useless and cause weight gain. But healthy starchy carbs, after a period of being unable to eat them because of our small stomachs and urgent protein requirements, are going to be a huge part of our diets and we will crave these healthy carbs.

Gut bugs give us our cravings. I was able, while fat, to get my craving for sweets traded for craving for roasted root veggies. I've seen it happen. And again we are talking about 100g or less of carbs, mostly veggies and good starches. So still not high carb but POWERFUL carbs.

4 minutes ago, GotProlactinoma said:

Gut bugs give us our cravings. I was able, while fat, to get my craving for sweets traded for craving for roasted root veggies. I've seen it happen. And again we are talking about 100g or less of carbs, mostly veggies and good starches. So still not high carb but POWERFUL carbs.

Yes! This is so true. The quality of the carbs is the key. I have made it to 95g of carb, but that was an usually high day. I am pretty much 75-90g right now and I feel great.

This is such a fascinating thread, thanks for starting it! I'm currently in active weight loss, but I'm stalled out right now. I believe I've been eating too much, my range is 1500-1800 daily, with about 3-4 intense workouts a week (burning about 700 cals each). I'm 7 months out, but I think I'm at a maintenance level of calories now because my weight loss has totally stopped. Good to see how much you guys are eating for reference!

28 minutes ago, FluffyChix said:

@fruitandveggies Have you been losing inches during this time?

Hmm, good question. It looks like I have a little bit, yes. On August 18 I was a 37" waist, now I'm 36.5. Lost about half an inch on my bicep, thigh, and hips, too. I imagine that I do have a tiny deficit going still, but I'm far from where I want to be so I want to bump that deficit up to speed up the weight loss. It's interesting to see what people are eating for maintenance, but of course I know it depends a lot on the individual makeup. The RMR calculator says I'm at 1636, but who knows how accurate that is! I need to get the RMR/DEXA tests done.

44 minutes ago, fruitandveggies said:

This is such a fascinating thread, thanks for starting it! I'm currently in active weight loss, but I'm stalled out right now. I believe I've been eating too much, my range is 1500-1800 daily, with about 3-4 intense workouts a week (burning about 700 cals each). I'm 7 months out, but I think I'm at a maintenance level of calories now because my weight loss has totally stopped. Good to see how much you guys are eating for reference!

It does sound like you've found your maintenance level. Take the calories back down to 1200 to keep on losing.

I see your goal weight is 120lbs, but at 5'5.. it could be asking a bit much. Surgery CAN take people that low, but it USUALLY doesn't. A typical result for someone with your stats is to lose maybe another 5-25 more pounds, then plateau.

Strive for the best (I.E. 120lbs), but you might want to wrap your brain around the idea that it may not happen. The surgery has ALREADY been a success.. so we're not talking failure here. We're just talking about keeping a healthy outlook in case the scale doesn't cooperate.

Ultimately, when the scale stops moving, you have 2 choices.

1. You can keep on pushing... keep your calories really low, and exercise. The scale WILL continue moving when you do that. The question is how hungry you'll be, and how difficult it will be to maintain.

2. You can be satisfied, and not worry about it. Find your sweet spot (maintenance calories), and just live your life.