Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best way to Stop Losing Weight

2 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

It does sound like you've found your maintenance level. Take the calories back down to 1200 to keep on losing.

I see your goal weight is 120lbs, but at 5'5.. it could be asking a bit much. Surgery CAN take people that low, but it USUALLY doesn't. A typical result for someone with your stats is to lose maybe another 5-25 more pounds, then plateau.

Strive for the best (I.E. 120lbs), but you might want to wrap your brain around the idea that it may not happen. The surgery has ALREADY been a success.. so we're not talking failure here. We're just talking about keeping a healthy outlook in case the scale doesn't cooperate.

Ultimately, when the scale stops moving, you have 2 choices.

1. You can keep on pushing... keep your calories really low, and exercise. The scale WILL continue moving when you do that. The question is how hungry you'll be, and how difficult it will be to maintain.

2. You can be satisfied, and not worry about it. Find your sweet spot (maintenance calories), and just live your life.

Thanks, @Berry78 that's good advice. I am prepared that 120 might not be where I end up. I chose that based on the last time I lost this much weight, I was 145 pounds and a size 14. I felt like losing another 25 pounds would put me in normal sizes (no proof, just guessing). I'm also small framed, according to the wrist test, so that was another factor in that estimated goal.

My doctor said the same thing, she basically said that the honeymoon will probably stop around 180 for me. My mom had RNY and has been maintaining at 170 for a couple of years with no exercise. I am prepared to do the hard work to get down to a lower weight (somewhere in the 120's I'm thinking, but we'll see how I feel when I'm closer), but I need to figure out the right amount of calories to make that happen.

I'm definitely not ready to settle yet, I'm not happy living my life in a size 18/20. Though it's better than a 24/26 any day! :)

7 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

This is such a fascinating thread, thanks for starting it! I'm currently in active weight loss, but I'm stalled out right now. I believe I've been eating too much, my range is 1500-1800 daily, with about 3-4 intense workouts a week (burning about 700 cals each). I'm 7 months out, but I think I'm at a maintenance level of calories now because my weight loss has totally stopped. Good to see how much you guys are eating for reference!

There are several vets that have been actively losing for 15-24 months so I believe it is possible with the sleeve to keep losing. Maybe drop down to 1200 and see if you start losing again.

I am very happy with where my weight is right now, but I am not yet at a normal BMI and having had my body composition done I know I still need to lose some more fat. I am very satisfied eating in the 1100-1200 calories range so I am going to stay here and see if I can lose another 10 pounds to get a little under 160. I can't imagine that as I keep increasing my running mileage that my body will hold on to this level of fat.

6 hours ago, fruitandveggies said:

Thanks, @Berry78 that's good advice. I am prepared that 120 might not be where I end up. I chose that based on the last time I lost this much weight, I was 145 pounds and a size 14. I felt like losing another 25 pounds would put me in normal sizes (no proof, just guessing). I'm also small framed, according to the wrist test, so that was another factor in that estimated goal.

My doctor said the same thing, she basically said that the honeymoon will probably stop around 180 for me. My mom had RNY and has been maintaining at 170 for a couple of years with no exercise. I am prepared to do the hard work to get down to a lower weight (somewhere in the 120's I'm thinking, but we'll see how I feel when I'm closer), but I need to figure out the right amount of calories to make that happen.

I'm definitely not ready to settle yet, I'm not happy living my life in a size 18/20. Though it's better than a 24/26 any day! :)

I think it is so very interesting how everyone's weight loss journey is so different and individual. Some people lose all their weight quickly, others take longer, some just walk, some run, some do weights. some nothing at all.

How long do you have to be at the same weight to really be in a stall? I have had two time periods where I was the same weight or bouncing back and forth for longer than 2 weeks. Both times I started losing again by 3 weeks.However I have had time periods where I was doing that for 7-10 days and then started losing again. Is there a defined time period before it classifies as a stall? @Berry78 what say you? I wonder because if I was only weighing once per month I might not even notice these "stalls" at all.This is why I like to weigh daily. I want the weekly data points.

@Apple1 Dr. Atkins specified a stall as being 3 weeks without movement on the scale or with a measuring tape. (If I remember correctly!)

Just now, FluffyChix said:

@Apple1 Dr. Atkins specified a stall as being 3 weeks without movement on the scale or with a measuring tape. (If I remember correctly!)

I have never measured... I know I know I should have...lol... I do think I have dropped inches during the periods of no loss.

What I find interesting now is I don't seem to bounce as much. I have been 168-168.3 for the past 4 days. My weight is more steady now. I think it is because I am so regular ...:lol:

So we had a health day at work today, and had the opportunity to get our bodyfat and a few other values measured. It is not as accurate as a DEXA scan, but it gives an indication.

My fat % is 24.3% or 18.7kg. I should loose another 0.2 kg, which is like half a pound of fat. And to get into ideal range, about 3kg or 6-7 lbs of fat.

My muscle mass is 75.7% or 58.3kg. My weight is 77kg. My BMI is 28.3. Because I have such high fat free musclmass, I don't need to get unto normal BMI. My muscle Protein is 8.4kg which is very good.

My BMR is 1450, and I should be able to keep my weight stable at around 1800-2000 kcal depending on what I'm doing that day.

I am so pleased with these results.

42 minutes ago, Meryline said:

My fat % is 24.3% or 18.7kg. I should loose another 0.2 kg, which is like half a pound of fat. And to get into ideal range, about 3kg or 6-7 lbs of fat.

How did they measure this? I am curious bevause I ad mine measured with a bodpod which uses a pressurized chamber. I wonder how accurate my test was?

44 minutes ago, Meryline said:

My BMR is 1450, and I should be able to keep my weight stable at around 1800-2000 kcal depending on what I'm doing that day.

That is awesome. I was pleased with my results also. It will be interesting to see if and when I am able to actually consume 1700 calories, if my weight levels off.

Just now, Apple1 said:

How did they measure this? I am curious bevause I ad mine measured with a bodpod which uses a pressurized chamber. I wonder how accurate my test was?

I would think yours is way more accurate than mine. This was done with a some device on my arm, I have never seen anything like it. Like I said, it gives me an indication. I don't plan to up my kcal just yet, I want to loose more weight, but at least I know I'm going in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

I think it is so very interesting how everyone's weight loss journey is so different and individual. Some people lose all their weight quickly, others take longer, some just walk, some run, some do weights. some nothing at all.

How long do you have to be at the same weight to really be in a stall? I have had two time periods where I was the same weight or bouncing back and forth for longer than 2 weeks. Both times I started losing again by 3 weeks.However I have had time periods where I was doing that for 7-10 days and then started losing again. Is there a defined time period before it classifies as a stall? @Berry78 what say you? I wonder because if I was only weighing once per month I might not even notice these "stalls" at all.This is why I like to weigh daily. I want the weekly data points.

On the board we see 3 week stalls break ON THEIR OWN all the time. It's when things are staying the same (scale and tape measure) for over a month that I start getting concerned.

My personal preference is to call it a stall if it lasts for a month or less and breaks on its own.. more than a month, and it usually needs intervention.. that's a plateau.

Keep in mind, if someone only eats 400 calories a day, long term, it's anorexia, and they WILL lose weight. Doesn't mean it is a good idea, but it means that there is no true end to weight loss. (Think of concentration camp victims).

The "end" that we talk about is when the new set point is reached and the caloric intake/expenditure aligns. We can control intake, but the body has lots of tricks up its sleeve to modify expenditure. That's why calories in doesn't always seem to equal calories out.

Oh, and Fruits and Veggies has a bypass, which typically means losing weight faster, but the scale stops moving sooner. It isn't unusual for people with bypasses to slide into maintenance at 10 months postop. So time is more of the essence in this case than with a sleeve patient.

4 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

On the board we see 3 week stalls break ON THEIR OWN all the time. It's when things are staying the same (scale and tape measure) for over a month that I start getting concerned.

My personal preference is to call it a stall if it lasts for a month or less and breaks on its own.. more than a month, and it usually needs intervention.. that's a plateau.

Keep in mind, if someone only eats 400 calories a day, long term, it's anorexia, and they WILL lose weight. Doesn't mean it is a good idea, but it means that there is no true end to weight loss. (Think of concentration camp victims).

The "end" that we talk about is when the new set point is reached and the caloric intake/expenditure aligns. We can control intake, but the body has lots of tricks up its sleeve to modify expenditure. That's why calories in doesn't always seem to equal calories out.

I love the way your mind works @Berry78. You have a talent for figuring these sort of things out. You should be a life coach. I said the same thing to @Newme17.

Thanks so much for your input.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Apple1 said:

I wonder because if I was only weighing once per month I might not even notice these "stalls" at all

This is me. I never know. 😂

4 minutes ago, Apple1 said:

love the way your mind works @Berry78.

Second this! I love reading everything you post too @Berry78 . And you make me laugh. 😁