Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

panicking about post-op side effects...

I'm being sleeved in Thursday. I had been in good spirits about it for the most part, finally feeling ok on the liquid diet. Now that I am 2 days out, my anxiety is out of control. I can't sleep, Im throwing up from the anxiety, I sobbed for 2 hours last night. I am terrified that I'm making an enormous mistake. I keep reading forums and support groups and they're scaring me more! It seems that almost everyone has problems with severe GERD afterwards, problems swallowing, I'm reading about people who constantly vomit, someone who ended up in a coma for 9 months, and that a huge percentage of people gain all their weight back within 3-4 years, and now surgeons are saying that the sleeve is ineffective for weight loss. I have no co-morbidities and take no medications as it is, Im so afraid this surgery is going to ruin my life and Im going to end up dependent on Protein pump inhibitors, never be able to eat in a restaurant again, or eat anything without vomiting! Anyone else feel this way before surgery? Do you regret doing it?!

Girl, You are in full-blown panic mode. I get it, what we are doing is very scary, there can be complications and, if I'm perfectly honest, I tried to talk myself out of the surgery several times. I was scared and just like you - minus the throwing up. I was trying to make deals with god, I was trying to figure out how I could cancel without disappointing people, etc. But in the end I acknowledged that this is what I need to do to live past my 40's. I did regret it for the 1st 4 weeks, cause those were hard weeks. But then I healed and life opened up for me in a way I've never known. I've been obese since high-school. I've never been a size 10-12 as an adult, I've never been able to fly without worry, or ride a rollercoaster without fear of not fitting in the seat, I walk by windows and am proud of who I see rather than shamed.

And let me just address the lack of shame issue. I no longer walk around feeling total shame and embarrassment over what I look like and what I've become. That has improved my overall happiness as a person. I respect myself more and I can't even quantify for you what that full impact on my life has been...

There are going to be side-effects and complications. But, for 99% of us, the side effects of obesity are FAR worse than the side effects from the Gastric Sleeve.

Your life is NOT over, I promise promise promise promise!!! It might feel like that now but in 6 months, if you allow yourself to follow through with this, you will most likely be happier than you have been in years, moving like you would not believe and experiencing joy and success in this process. But it's NOT easy, there IS pain and struggle and tears. But there is with being obese as well.

Look, what we do here, with this surgery, altering our bodies, taking a step off into the abyss, it's terrifying. But that's what makes each of us such bad-asses!!! We are freaking WARRIORS!! Anyone who says this is the easy way out is just showing their stunning ignorance. This is, by far, the hardest, most rewarding, most amazing thing I've ever done.

I weighed 375 lbs 5 years ago. I lost 100lbs on an all liquid diet over 16 months. That was SOOOOOO much worse and harder in the long run. Because I had to eat the same thing, chocolate Protein Shake, 5 times a day for 16 MONTHS. MONTHS. lol! This is so much easier. I take all that willpower and self-control and now apply it to my exercise and keeping my head right.

You are gonna be OK no matter what you decide. It's OK to say I'm too scared and not ready for this. There can be complications, nothing is a guarantee. I wish you all the luck and success!!

Oh, and who cares if you have to take an antacid pill each morning?? That ain't no thang!! And you WILL be eating in restaurants again - Where are you being told you can't?????

Yes, you are physically only able to ingest about 1/4 of a cup to 1/2 of a cup, but it's amazing how quickly each of us figures out our routines at the restaurants.

It's not going to be easy, there are all sorts of accommodations that you will make, but then it will all just become routine and your new normal and it won't be hard or difficult at all. It's just going to be new at first. Yes, there will be weeks where life sucks right after the surgery, there will be tears and there will be fears.

How old are you? I was on no medications, no "co-morbidities" up until I was 41. Then I woke-up in ICU. My gallbladder went bad due to my years of high fat diet. That then threw a gall stone into my pancreas duct which caused my pancreas to back up, start digesting itself, ruining the cells the produce insulin, putting me into a six month acute pancreatitis and now I'm diabetic, have no gall bladder and get to have tests every 6 months. There are horror stories from either side.

I really hope that you are able to find peace today in whatever decision you make. This is your life and this is one means to take control over our weight, but there are other ways. You could do the liquid fasting for a year or two, you could spend the next couple of years restricting yourself and basically following the bariatric diet without the surgery and exercise. It's all possible. Whatever you decide is the path you were meant to take. I know it's terrifying, I'm sending you a massive hug!!

First off take a deep breath and realize on the internet you can't always believe everything you read. Part of the issue with message boards and internet sites is many of the people who report are those with complications. I understand fear and regret, I had some myself but this is literally the best choice I've ever made. I've been overweight since I was 12, morbidly obese most my adult life and now for the first time in years I have my freedom back.

I had the sleeve 12/30/16. I've had no issues with my surgery and my recovery was smooth and as easy as to be expected after major surgery. My physical pain lasted about 2 weeks with minor aches lasting about a month. I returned to work at the 2 week mark and other than being tired, I had no issues going back to work. The worst part for me was the gas pain, which you can help minimize with gas meds and walking as well as pain where my drain was but that was removed on Day 2 post op. I also has nausea on Day 1 but that is a side effect of anesthesia for me and had it after every surgery I've had.

I was allowed to begin sipping about 24 hours after surgery and had no issues taking small sips. I had no swallowing issues, no pain with swallowing and have yet to have an issue eating or drinking as I move through the stages. I did have some minor heartburn early on and was prescribed Protonix once a day for 3 months. I no longer have had any issues in terms of heartburn. It's was a minor issue for me and taking a pill once a day didn't effect my life negatively or set me back. To this day, I've been able to eat almost everything I did pre surgery (though I chose to avoid unhealthy foods). I've also been able to tolerate straws, caffeine and carbonation with no issues. I also enjoy going out to eat on a regular basis with my friends and family.

I've lost 101 pounds so far and wouldn't change a single thing. I had no co-morbidities but it would have only been a manner of time as I was at the highest weight of my life. My lab work (blood sugar on the climb, cholesterol was high, thyroid was off) was not great the last time I had a physical and my body ached. Now I'm in perfect health, just had my yearly physical and I was 100 pounds down since last year, my lab work was perfect and I feel 10 years younger.

As for sleeve effectiveness, I have not heard that it's not recommended for weightloss. In fact at my clinic it's replaced all over forms of weightloss surgery in popularity. I have people in my local support group who are 3-5 years out and have success still.

9 weeks post opt, down 57 pounds and absolutely so glad I did it!! I hit panic mode Day of surgery but that was quickly gone once I got to the operating room. The first two weeks sucked, but week 3,4,5,6,7,8,9 sooo glad I did it! You will have ups and downs, but it isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Everyone posts bad stuff for sympathy, no one really posts he good stuff because they are out enjoying themselves! You will be great!

Oh my goodness. You are going to do and BE awesome. I'd bet most of us had moments of what the ... am I doing? Intentionally putting myself at risk of surgery. I'm i crazy? I even did my will and power of attorneys. You are totally normal.

Read the wonderful post of people on this site. Very inspiring, great non-scale victories, sound help and supportive at every step.

Risk yes there are risk. Do the best you mitigate them. Pick a great surgical that cares about you. But for me, I was going to die a slow early death as my obesity slowly smothered me. I want to live a life with thinking about how my size impacts my life. I don't want to be in neck, back, knee, and foot pain and very day.

Some parts of my day suck because I'm learning to eat. But the rest of my day is full of better energy, better mood, better engagement with others. 7 weeks and about 60 lbs has made me more active than I have been in a least a year.

Good luck and breath deep.

Thursday as in today ? Good Luck... I'm in the uk and it's almost 10pm here.

If it's any help, I had the sleeve done on Tuesday this week. They let me out last night. The 4 hours travelling home felt like it was killing me...

Today however is another day. Ive managed to drink over a litre fairly easily. I do not feel sick and have had no pain killers. I've even sat and worked on the laptop for several hours.

As I only work down the road, a colleague is picking me up so I can go in for a few hours tomorrow (I'm a workaholic) and I'll come home when Im tired. Should be driving again by Monday.

The only thing I'm struggling with is those horrid lanzopramol tablets (or whatever they're called)

On 8/1/2017 at 11:12 AM, MrsTesla said:

I'm being sleeved in Thursday. I had been in good spirits about it for the most part, finally feeling ok on the liquid diet. Now that I am 2 days out, my anxiety is out of control. I can't sleep, Im throwing up from the anxiety, I sobbed for 2 hours last night. I am terrified that I'm making an enormous mistake. I keep reading forums and support groups and they're scaring me more! It seems that almost everyone has problems with severe GERD afterwards, problems swallowing, I'm reading about people who constantly vomit, someone who ended up in a coma for 9 months, and that a huge percentage of people gain all their weight back within 3-4 years, and now surgeons are saying that the sleeve is ineffective for weight loss. I have no co-morbidities and take no medications as it is, Im so afraid this surgery is going to ruin my life and Im going to end up dependent on Protein pump inhibitors, never be able to eat in a restaurant again, or eat anything without vomiting! Anyone else feel this way before surgery? Do you regret doing it?!

I have mine December 5th. I’m freakimg out just like you, wondering if this is right for me. Will I regret it etc. I keep praying to god to show me a sign of I should continue down this path. I’m so terrified and feel like my family doesn’t understand how confused I am. I’m 7 days away from surgery date. I thinking about calling my surgeon and either canceling it. I’m not sure what to do. I’m 278 right now, my highest weight was 320. I’ve lost 9lbs since the pre op diet. Can anyone give me advice on what i should do? I’m so scared and don’t know if I should do this on my own. I just don’t want to be in the position I was before. 😭

5 hours ago, Melloyellow said:

I have mine December 5th. I’m freakimg out just like you, wondering if this is right for me. Will I regret it etc. I keep praying to god to show me a sign of I should continue down this path. I’m so terrified and feel like my family doesn’t understand how confused I am. I’m 7 days away from surgery date. I thinking about calling my surgeon and either canceling it. I’m not sure what to do. I’m 278 right now, my highest weight was 320. I’ve lost 9lbs since the pre op diet. Can anyone give me advice on what i should do? I’m so scared and don’t know if I should do this on my own. I just don’t want to be in the position I was before. 😭

I was SO, SO nervous before my surgery. I was afraid I'd have complications, I would never be able to eat normal food again, I wouldn't be able to tolerate my favorite foods, etc. I have had ABSOLUTELY ZERO issues. I had minor/manageable pain after the surgery. I followed my doctor's diet progression, and I have been able to eat everything I have tried (and I have tried a lot!) with no issues. Food tastes exactly the same as it did to me before surgery, but I have this wonderful restriction that reminds me to keep my portions in check. I threw up a couple of times right after surgery (Zofran took care of that), and I have thrown up twice from eating a little too much (which was my own fault - it's a learning curve). I had surgery 9/21, and as of this morning I am down 72 lbs from my HW and 41 lbs from SW. I look better, and I feel great. I sleep much better than I used to, and my energy levels are way up.

Everyone has a different journey, and some people do have more issues than I have had. It's a surgery, and there's always the slight possibility of complications. That being said . . . think about the possibility of developing health issues if you don't have surgery. You have to look at the up side and really think about whether the pros outweigh the cons. If you go to a reputable surgeon, your chances of complications are very, very small.

Had mine on 11/20. I prepared myself following the rules, lost weight and stuck to the preop diet. Surgery was ok, no problems. I had an umbilical hernia repair done and that was sore until Thursday. Drinking was a slow process. A learning process. Little sips, spaced part. Three days later I was drinking the Protein Drinks it’s out any difficulty, taking my time. Water went down slower, still does, but I am drinking enough. On stage II of the post op diet and having no difficulty, feel great, lots of energy, no pain. If I eat too fast my body lets me know to slow down, gas pain. (Not horrible pain) My pain goes away with arm movement above my head real quick. I’m still learning but very happy. 1st week loss is about 17lbs.