Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods you no longer enjoy

I've had no changes in my taste buds post surgery. I hated artificial sweeteners before surgery and find I dislike them even more now.

Otherwise, I can't eat eggs anymore. They taste fine but they bother my intestines now if I eat them any other way than hardboiled.

4 hours ago, Sleeveforme2017 said:

Hamburger meat especially McD and Taco Bell meat. just getting back to eating eggs slowly . Hot dogs

I know hot dogs are not the best choice but have you tried skinless hotdogs? Sometimes in the summer I will have one, we feed them to our children, when I want something quick on the grill. No Buns of course. They actually taste so much better than classic hot dogs.

When I first started eating solids, I could do almost anything. Turkey, chicken eggs, beef. Now I get really nauseous with any deli meat or eggs. It seems to change as time goes on.

I couldn't eat eggs but now 9 months out I had scrambled egg the other day and was fine which I am really pleased about as love eggs and great Protein food. At this stage I can pretty much eat anything except chips which I know we shouldn't eat but if family have a fish and chip tea I always wanted a taste but each time I was ill so don't bother now.

I had my first egg postop week 5ish, I did hardboiled, since so many people had trouble with scrambled. It was SOOOO GOOOD! I liked eggs fine before, but now they are my faves.

Preop, Beans tasted good, but caused gas. I now can eat them every day without trouble. They also taste sooo yummy!!

Ice cream used to be grand, but now it's too sweet. yuck. Same with fudge. Same with baked goods in general.

Watermelon, apples, grapes.. most fruit, really just sits kinda poorly in my tummy. All types of berries are better now than before though... especially red raspberries. (I hated them before, now they're good).

I had a single noodle from Hamburger Helper. Stuff tasted like paste!

Oh man, so many things have changed!!

Please note: I apparently suffer from a very rare side-effect from the sleeve that is much like dumping syndrome. Please don't let this scare you, I'm like in the 6% group. And I had my Gallbladder removed and other medical issues which make me very sensitive to things now. So for any newbies, please don't be scared off by this BUT please do use it as a precautionary tale and something to motivate you to avoid bad foods. You don't want to deal with the physical discomfort of dumping syndrome.

I can't eat beef anymore. Not with any kind of regularity. I don't digest it well at all and puts me into a dumping-like stage.

Also, all spicy food is out. Donzo. It makes me feel ill very quickly.

I can't eat Mayonnaise, that makes me sick now.

I can't eat apples or nuts very well, hard to digest maybe? I haven't tried many fruits as I'm not a huge fan but I'm sad about the Apples. Apples and Peanut Butter have been a lifelong favorite but when I eat it it doesn't go well now.

I can't eat Cereal, either I don't do well with milk or all the carbs in cereal or whatever but no milk and cereal for me any more (Plus it's a slider food at this point so good riddance to bad rubbish I say! lol!).

I try to take hard to digest skin off of fruits and veggies now. No cucumber skin. Part of that is due to digestion ease and part of that is to reduce the acid in my stomach. It's actually the same issue. My stomach produces too much acid trying to break down the skins. THen I have heartburn and have to double up on my meds for 2 days.

No Spaghetti. It doesn't make me sick but it's pointless to eat. No Pasta. It's all carbs very little Protein. Had a ravioli a month or so back. It was good but I got full off of ONE ravioli. Pointless.

Junk Food - again, almost no point except in its emotional value. I've had chips a few times, dips, etc., at parties I've been too or once during a movie night. I very easily will get dumping-like syndrome so anything more than a few chips or crappy things and I'm down for the count for at least a half hour and up to 6 hours.

I can eat cheese but not too much. I'm not sure if I don't do well with Dairy now due to my gallbladder removal but I'm fine with mozzarella and provolone - so as long as i can still eat the tops off of a pizza I'm good.

So far I'm able to eat anything but finds that sweets aren't as satisfying anymore, not that I'm jumping on that bandwagon this soon but like my husband wanted ice cream did I got one scoop of frozen yogurt and it was like ehhh. Wasn't worth my calorie intake. I used to be a carb and sweets gal. My new thing now is, when you get to the cheese center of your danish I'll take a little bite. Once again not planning on making this a habit but sometimes it's hard to sit and watch everyone else eat it but I know that I didn't have this surgery to eat Desserts all day lol.

So far I'm able to eat anything but finds that sweets aren't as satisfying anymore, not that I'm jumping on that bandwagon this soon but like my husband wanted ice cream did I got one scoop of frozen yogurt and it was like ehhh. Wasn't worth my calorie intake. I used to be a carb and sweets gal. My new thing now is, when you get to the cheese center of your danish I'll take a little bite. Once again not planning on making this a habit but sometimes it's hard to sit and watch everyone else eat it but I know that I didn't have this surgery to eat desserts all day lol.

Love a good cheese danish! But at this point I despise sugar, lol. Good luck to you!

So far the only food that bothered me was scrambled eggs, but I can eat them now if they are mixed with a lot of veggies. Everything I liked before I still like. I haven't tried any foods I don't like..lol..

I am not craving bread, rice, potatoes, Pasta, or sugary foods at all. I am so thankful for that and I have no desire to ever eat them in any kind of quantity again. I used to love crackers and cheese as a snack, but I have no problems turning down crackers now. This is what I love about the Keto diet. It really takes those food cravings away. I look forward to my salmon, greens, chicken, ect..

I haven't found one thing that's bothered me. Admittedly I'm not veering off plan. But the stuff on plan I can eat it all. chicken thigh 3oz at a time easy. eggs yep! I guess it's good? Haven't decided.

To be very honest, I don't enjoy any foods at this time except turkey bacon. I don't really care to eat anymore, it almost seems like a chore to me. My favorite drink is Water and that is even hard to get down still. Maybe after all the swelling has gone down I'll like food again.

To be very honest, I don't enjoy any foods at this time except turkey bacon. I don't really care to eat anymore, it almost seems like a chore to me. My favorite drink is Water and that is even hard to get down still. Maybe after all the swelling has gone down I'll like food again.

How long ago was your surgery?

My husband told me it only took 45 minutes. My Dr. also fixed a hernia while in there. I'm 4 weeks post op and I was able to start adding soft foods at 3 weeks and normal diet as of this past Monday. I do eat, I just don't really enjoy it right now. Maybe when the swelling has gone down.