Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey,

So I love reading all the various advice and stories from everyone. I'm almost 2 weeks post op and searching these forums for some guys. Seems like theres a bit of an overbalance in these forums.

Anyways, looking to hear some stories of how to deal with head cravings, what to expect as a guy in my first couples months post op. (I know men and women loose differently)... Looking for some creative ways to hit that 80g Protein mark early on... I'm downing 40g in an Isopure bottle daily and then more with some cream Soup. I'm craving meat and can't wait to puree a ribeye or something...

Just any men out there?

Marsh

Dr. Weiner says head hunger = addiction. You know it's addiction when you are craving just one food. Real hunger means just about anything will satisfy.

I am in the process of trying to find a therapist. I struggle with the same thing that you do.

Oh, I don't deny my addiction is real... haha!

I found the man room forum.. gonna spend the night reading up there.

Hey,
So I love reading all the various advice and stories from everyone. I'm almost 2 weeks post op and searching these forums for some guys. Seems like theres a bit of an overbalance in these forums.
Anyways, looking to hear some stories of how to deal with head cravings, what to expect as a guy in my first couples months post op. (I know men and women loose differently)... Looking for some creative ways to hit that 80g Protein mark early on... I'm downing 40g in an Isopure bottle daily and then more with some cream Soup. I'm craving meat and can't wait to puree a ribeye or something...
Just any men out there?
Marsh

Hey. Try making homemade chili with a lot of Beans and ground turkey. I did that and lost most of my weight very quickly. YouTube has a lot of recipes. I puréed a lot of things during that stage even Pasta lol but it tasted great. I was sleeved 5/29/15 . HW 340 SW 320 CW 205 I gained 10lbs after hitting the gym but will be making some chili to lose those extra lbs. I added a picture IMG_8234.JPG

@atontor You look awesome. Congratulations!

@gwbicster While Dr. Weiner often has interesting insights, I'm having difficulty believing head hunger equals addiction. I'm nearly three years post WLS & no longer feel head hunger. Does that mean I no longer have an addiction? Or does it mean I never really did have an addiction? I'm having a hard time saying yes to either of those questions.

@Mersh You're in one of the most difficult phases of your journey. You've had surgery & now you want to eat some food you really can't handle yet. I feel for you, pal. When you're ready, consider other softer Proteins like plain yogurt & then cottage cheese later. Pretty soon you'll move on to eggs, fish, chicken, pork, & beef. You can do this!

@atontor Dude, way to go. Hoping for my own success like yours.

@DaleCruse Thanks man, I have to admit, I did eat some eggs and even a slice of shaved ham already and it didn't really bother me... But trying my hardest to stay with the diet timeline my Dr gave me... 2 more days and then I can officially do purees...

I think my biggest thing is I want to loose enough weight that I can officially say I lost a whole person in fat... I'm tired of feeling like I've been piggy backing a 200lb man around everywhere I go.

@Mersh

i haws so hungry week 2-3 post op. Made it through just fine. Puréed and soft phase is better. Not really hungry. Soft Proteins work better for first week of soft. Turkey pepperoni and thin sliced Canadian bacon worked great. Low fat high Protein. I'm at about week 6. Can only take about 1/4 cup or 2 oz. maybe.

I had my first encounter with "dumping" last night... luckily it was Jello. Learned my lesson and my current capacity... Which is a plus I guess..

Ha, I have not had a dumping. My nut said no Jello. Which is weird. Because everyone here eats jello.

I made Soups during the phase your in. It helped to do something and it was great.

Hey Mersh
I'm 4 mos post op sleeve. HW 367 SW 343 CW 286. The 2nd week post op is hard, but you're doing the right thing. I just wanted something solid at that point. The Isopure is great for Protein. I did those and GNC lean shakes. The key to the cravings for me was spreading the Liquid Protein and Water throughout the day. I never let too much time pass before having a few sips so I didn't feel the cravings too bad. As you get to the purée stage, there are some good recipes around. I found one for salmon mousse that I still use. Keep trying new foods you'll be surprised what you may like that you didn't before.
Good Luck

Chili was great at two weeks. That really helped to satisfy me.

At two weeks I was allowed deli meat. I didn't puree it, just chewed it real well. Low sodium ham & turkey worked well.

I would add Protein Powder to cream of Tomato Soup to get the Protein in quick. Also add PB2 peanut powder to sugar free pudding boosted the protein as well as the flavor

On 7/22/2017 at 1:11 PM, Mersh said:

I think my biggest thing is I want to loose enough weight that I can officially say I lost a whole person in fat... I'm tired of feeling like I've been piggy backing a 200lb man around everywhere I go.

OH man, I am so going to use that (a whole person of fat) when I have gotten to that point. I am 4 1/2 weeks post surgery and can say that the worst days were when I had to drink Isopure. The best day was the morning I had my first scrambled egg post surgery. You will be amazed both at feeling real food again & that one egg can fill you up.

I am starting to experiment with more solid foods. Chili is great; I have made tex-mex style chili and italian style chili. Both are easy to eat and tasty. I have found hundreds of recipes on Pinterst and started making some. I suggest using that as a source. It is such a waste (and hard to find meals on my plan) to eat out at the office that I have started pre-cooking and freezing meals for work. Besides eating what I need I am saving a chunk of money. Plus its a lot of fun to sit down with co-workers, watch as they lay out their big lunchs and pull out my 4 ounce container and go "here's my lunch." I have purchased a bunch of little rubbermaid take-along 4 ounce containers to put my meal into. Makes it easy to eat the right amount.

Protein is hard - that is pretty much all I eat to get 80 grams in a day. I still drink a Protein Shake each day to hit my goal.

Some days are easy, others not so much. Some of the things I was afraid I would crave (bread, chips, Cookies, etc) I am don't so much. Pre-surgery I had weined myself off of soda and some other foods, which I am sure has made my transition easier.

And 3 days post surgery I started walking; 3 weeks post surgery I started swimming; and now I have started strength training. I highly suggest you get into an exercise routine. Not only did I have much more energy but it promotes fat loss and feels great to exercise distances I couldn't before.

-Kurt

23 hours ago, Knight32206 said:

Hey Mersh
I'm 4 mos post op sleeve. HW 367 SW 343 CW 286. The 2nd week post op is hard, but you're doing the right thing. I just wanted something solid at that point. The Isopure is great for Protein. I did those and GNC lean shakes. The key to the cravings for me was spreading the liquid Protein and Water throughout the day. I never let too much time pass before having a few sips so I didn't feel the cravings too bad. As you get to the purée stage, there are some good recipes around. I found one for salmon mousse that I still use. Keep trying new foods you'll be surprised what you may like that you didn't before.
Good Luck

I agree. I bought a 20 ounce vacumn jug and keep it filled with ice Water. I sip it throughout the day and I think that does help.

@Knight32206 Great advice, I really miss crushing 20oz of Water in a sitting with no issue. I used to be so hydrated. But now I got permanent cotton mouth... The worst. So yea, gotta learn to carry water around at all times. I made some food today as puree starts tomorrow. Can't wait. I may have had a slice of turkey the other day with no issue either, but don't tell my Dr.

@FamilyGuyNJ Yea, I miss chunky peanut butter...but I'll have to look into that PB2 stuff. Never enjoyed the "natural" stuff... and powder seams even worse in theory...

@Kurt W Thanks for the advice. I have a 7 mouth pup and so we go for some walks around the dog park. Can't wait to be able to lift weights again. Cause I know I'll need to maintain the muscle I have.

As for Protein, Isopure is a easy 40g per day, and my Protein Shakes I dump a 2 scoops and make them extra thick to get some added protein. So I think if I continue that, it will be great.

I think reality is slowly hitting me that I'm dropping lb's really quick right now. I'm currently the weight I was 5 years ago at 50lbs down. Which is awesome and my wife continues to drop me some solid compliments that fill my ego up.

Haven't felt these feelings in a while... surreal.