Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

After Surgery Taste Issues

40 minutes ago, EnuffisEnuff said:

The thing is, this gross taste is coming from my system. I'm not talking about food preferences....

That sounds rough. I hope it gets better for you.

Yes. The sweet stuff made me sick. It's better now 7 wks out though. Recently I get this weird metallic taste on the sides of my tongue. Not sure what that's about though. If anyone knows let me know.

My tastes never really changed but I got real tired of sweet stuff real quick. I had to switch from a Protein Shake to a Protein Water after surgery because at 3 times a day, I couldn't stomach the Protein Shakes. They tasted fine but the texture started to bother me.

Now at almost 7 months out I am drinking a shake a day again to boost my protein and they do not bother me at all in taste or texture. I also drink mostly black tea, I cannot drink sweets and artificial sweetener in stuff like Crystal Light is just to much.

Tea, Water, Fairlife Milk and one Atkins shake a day are my drinks. I will occasionally have a seltzer water as well since carbonation does not bother me.

I had surgery July 10th and since then have not been able to stomach Premier Protein which I drank daily for over 2 months before surgery. I also struggled with the Protein powder from my surgeons office.

I ordered some nectar products and some of the Fruit Drinks from the store here and in conjunction with fairlife milk am able to get enough in now thank goodness.

Has anyone had any issues with taste after surgery? I was sleeved on 7/11 and can't seem to tolerate Protein drinks, protein powders, artificial sweeteners, dairy. Everything tastes so sweet or milk tastes so sour. I've ordered a protein powder made from egg whites hopefully that will be better. Even Water doesn't taste very good. Hoping this is temporary. It has been a struggle getting my fluids in and I haven't met protein goals yet.
Sent from my SM-G935R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I use Julian's bakery egg white based shakes. I am only 4dpo so as long as I dilute it, I can drink it up fast. 1/2 hr. For 8 oz. The taste isn't great, but I'm whey intolerant so its my only choice.

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

I have finally come to the conclusion that I just can't do eggs since the surgery. Tried them every which way- yuck! They make me more nauseous than any other food I can eat. Sad, because I think they are very healthy for the most part, and used to be one of my favorite foods, but I've had to say goodbye.

I was sleeved 8/1 and it's been an adjustment to finding things that don't taste gross. I think it is because we are in ketosis and have a constant salty metal taste in our mouths... my go to foods have been Greek yogurt, avocado, hummus, watermelon and mango. They seem to balance out the taste for me. I find that most creamy Soups or broth based foods taste gross and I struggle with the pre-mixed Protein Shakes.< br>

Hi folks,

If you were just sleeved in July it is still so NEW. everything simmers down believe me. For the first year, it is a whole new experience. I am now 1 year 10 months out. At around 1 year 2 months, ever since last Christmas, I realized I could eat EVERYTHING. Now we all know, it's not that we should eat everything. But if you are frustrated with weird tastes in your mouth, strange swallowing, sensations, it will get much much better.

If anything I wish I still had a little more of the dumping sensations. Because of that I had gone up about 18 pounds. My stats are top weight 268, surg. weight 257, lowest weight 196 (total loss 72) , THEN back up to 218 , so actually a 22 lb. gain. What the Dr.s say Can definitely can happen. You get comfortable again about 1 1/2 year out. And can slowly start gaining from snacking, becoming sloppy with sugars, and breads. I was having some sugar, I had slowly started to have some bread......just regular food, when I went out to dinner , etc.

I am happy to say I have just done the 5 - day re-set. That is like going back to the beginning and eating the same way for 5 days, liquids, , then liquids, and yogurt, diet jello's puddings, pureed foods, then every day adding a bit more soft Protein, til at day five you are at liquids, Proteins drinks, eggs, meats, etc. Happy to say the sleeve responds VERY well. Down 6 pounds now on day 5. Back to 212. Hallelujiah. I know I am back on the right road.

The cravings are gone, back to eggs, yogurt, proteins, lots of fluids.....most important my head is back in the game and remembering what I did this all for. But just letting you all know, the first 6 months are for sure a time of everything re-adjusting, tastes coming back to normal. Also if you had a hiatal hernia while you had your sleeve done, it may take extra long a couple months for swallowing to feel normal , BUT IT WILL! Best of luck to all you Newbies. You got this!!!

Has anyone had any issues with taste after surgery? I was sleeved on 7/11 and can't seem to tolerate Protein drinks, protein powders, artificial sweeteners, dairy. Everything tastes so sweet or milk tastes so sour. I've ordered a protein powder made from egg whites hopefully that will be better. Even Water doesn't taste very good. Hoping this is temporary. It has been a struggle getting my fluids in and I haven't met protein goals yet.
Sent from my SM-G935R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

Oh god same. I couldn't stand milk before and now I am hardly getting any protein, my taste aversion to all my Protein Drink options is so unbearably strong. I can't even look at the containers without gagging. All the fake sweeteners are killing me. They taste like literal poison. Hope you're doing better now. I'm staying with my parents and my mom asked me today what I was having for Breakfast (she's trying so hard to help me bless her) and I laughed and said 'Regret' and promptly burst into tears. I dread waking up and starting the process over again every day. Tomorrow is one week out. I've had a remarkably easy physical recovery with little pain, but I feel like I'm getting worse every day now. I hope it gets easier from here. [emoji30]

9 hours ago, lornasaurusleeve said:

Oh god same. I couldn't stand milk before and now I am hardly getting any Protein, my taste aversion to all my protein drink options is so unbearably strong. I can't even look at the containers without gagging. All the fake sweeteners are killing me. They taste like literal poison. Hope you're doing better now. I'm staying with my parents and my mom asked me today what I was having for breakfast (she's trying so hard to help me bless her) and I laughed and said 'Regret' and promptly burst into tears. I dread waking up and starting the process over again every day. Tomorrow is one week out. I've had a remarkably easy physical recovery with little pain, but I feel like I'm getting worse every day now. I hope it gets easier from here.

Ok, lets think about this objectively.

First off, you are going to be OK.

Even if you can't tolerate milk or protein shakes/powders, you aren't going to starve to death in a couple weeks.

You need to call your surgeon and get suggestions. Here are some things you can discuss:

You do need to get calories on board, so what is liquid and has calories?

Broth! Bone Broth and homemade broth has about 8g of protein per 8oz. If you can drink 2 quarts of that a day you'll meet your Fluid and protein goals. (Homemade should be made with meat and bones, and simmer for at least 8 hours. I like using a big package of chicken legs.)

fruit juice, vegetable juice (early for tomatoes, but other types may work)

Thin, runny cream of wheat (not technically a liquid, so do not try without your surgeons permission)

chocolate milk (might go down easier than white. sugar free flavorings would be better, but even regular sugar is better than nothing).

Coconut Water

Liquid yogurt (thinned) has sugar and fruit, but if you can tolerate it...and you'll get some protein to boot.

Once you get to purees you can start blending up real food and should really start meeting your goals.

Hope this helps..

Ok, lets think about this objectively.
First off, you are going to be OK.
Even if you can't tolerate milk or Protein shakes/powders, you aren't going to starve to death in a couple weeks.
You need to call your surgeon and get suggestions. Here are some things you can discuss:
You do need to get calories on board, so what is liquid and has calories?
Broth! Bone Broth and homemade broth has about 8g of protein per 8oz. If you can drink 2 quarts of that a day you'll meet your Fluid and protein goals. (Homemade should be made with meat and bones, and simmer for at least 8 hours. I like using a big package of chicken legs.)
fruit juice, vegetable juice (early for tomatoes, but other types may work)
Thin, runny cream of wheat (not technically a liquid, so do not try without your surgeons permission)
chocolate milk (might go down easier than white. sugar free flavorings would be better, but even regular sugar is better than nothing).
Coconut water
Liquid yogurt (thinned) has sugar and fruit, but if you can tolerate it...and you'll get some protein to boot.
Once you get to purees you can start blending up real food and should really start meeting your goals.
Hope this helps..

Thanks :) I've definitely thought about trying some of the Fairlife chocolate milk even though it's not sugar free. I have started some yogurt drinks, though they're a struggle with the fake sweeteners too. Broth is one of the few things I can tolerate like once a day. Might buy some regular sugar sweetened and plain unsweetened Greek yogurt and mix them and thin them out. I've put another call in to my dietician so we'll see what else she's okay with when she calls back.