Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's hard for me not to weight myself in the morning and at night, I know you aren't supposed to.

But either my scale is broken or...

Last night it said I weight at 308.6, when I woke up before eating anything or taking anything, I was 313.8.... How?

Is that part of a stall or something? I take my Vitamins and have been taking in 80 grams of Protein.

I had experienced my first dumping syndrome, wasn't really that bad.

42 minutes ago, Iwanttofitinmyweddingdress said:

Last night it said I weight at 308.6, when I woke up before eating anything or taking anything, I was 313.8.... How?

I'll tell you how: it's Water weight. Physiologically, it's impossible to gain five pounds of fat tissue in less than 24 hours unless you overate 17,500 calories.

I assume you're a female of childbearing age. We're very prone to wild fluctuations in water weight; hence, I only weighed myself once monthly about a week after the 1st day of my period. Weighing myself more often was a blow to my sanity, so I didn't do it.

Edited by Introversion

I'll tell you how: it's Water weight. Physiologically, it's impossible to gain five pounds of fat tissue in less than 24 hours unless you overate 17,500 calories.
I assume you're a female of childbearing age. We're very prone to wild fluctuations in water weight; hence, I only weighed myself once monthly about a week after the 1st day of my period. Weighing myself more often was a blow to my sanity, so I didn't do it.

Periods suck, I am on mine.

It better be water weight, enough for me to lose up to 297lbs after all the water weight. I am on week 4 of after surgery, and I have been losing enough quickly anyways. My surgery weight was 339.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:47 PM, Introversion said:

I assume you're a female of childbearing age. We're very prone to wild fluctuations in Water weight; hence, I only weighed myself once monthly about a week after the 1st day of my period. Weighing myself more often was a blow to my sanity, so I didn't do it.

The OP stated they weighed themselves before bed, then first thing in the morning without consuming anything...

OP: It has to be you scale, you can't create matter!!! Unless you are sleepwalking and sleepeating! LOL

I had a scale that every time I got on it (even right after) I was getting different numbers. I got a good counter balance scale (like a doctors office), and that was the end of the fluctuating weights.

The OP stated they weighed themselves before bed, then first thing in the morning without consuming anything...

OP: It has to be you scale, you can't create matter!!! Unless you are sleepwalking and sleepeating! LOL

I had a scale that every time I got on it (even right after) I was getting different numbers. I got a good counter balance scale (like a doctors office), and that was the end of the fluctuating weights.

It may be any of these 3 things. Different position while weighing, perhaps the OP drank Water but didn't pay attention, or the scale is rather inaccurate.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, JT2002TJ said:

It doesn't matter one bit if she didn't consume anything before bedtime.

Those of us who are childbearing-aged females tend to have major Fluid shifts that correspond to various phases in our menstrual cycles. It's all due to neurohormonal processes in our bodies.

It's normal to gain up to 7 pounds overnight during some times of the month, regardless of what we consumed or whether we consumed anything at all. Moreover, our kidneys exert profound control over how much fluid we retain or expel.

The female body is far different than the male body.

What? Dudes don't have unexplained weight fluctuations?

My scale is very accurate. When i step on it multiple times in a row, it'll have EXACTLY the same weight reading, down to a 10th of a pound. On several occasions, I've woken up early. Stepped on the scale. Go back to sleep. Wake up 2-3 hours later, step on scale again and am down 2lbs. And no, I didn't pee a quart on the 2nd waking. Craziness!

Putting on 5 lbs out of thin air seems far fetched, right?.. but it absolutely can and does happen! I have no idea how, and whether some of that is scale error. But we'll just call it "water weight", and be done with it, since we just do not have an explanation.

It's between Walter weight and also you Weigh more in the afternoon and night then in the morning and that has nothing to do what you eat or drink it's part Water your body makes and the pull of gravity.

I never weigh myself. I have two scales and they both need batteries. I refuse to buy any. I would weigh myself every time I see the scale and drive myself crazy. I'm 9 weeks post. I was 273 surgery date. I'm 234 currently. Goal is 185.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

I am still sticking by my thoughts. If you go to bed, consume nothing over night, there is no way you will gain weight by the next morning. You can lose weight (burning energy, sweating), but not gain.

It is quite possible that someone gets up in the middle of the night, drinks water/eats without remembering it (sleep walking/eating). Or, more likely, it is an ineffective scale, not on a proper level/solid ground.

It is simple science. You can retain more Water because of hormonal changes/salt intake, but you have to actually consume the water in order to retain it. It is even in the name, water retention.

One could argue that your body extracts water from the air in your lungs, I wouldn't disagree with that. But there simply is no way to gain 5.2 lbs overnight without consuming something. 5 pounds is a LOT of water weight that is 0.599 Gallons (2.4 quarts). It has to be the scale...

These are my thoughts, and is not meant to be dismissing anything anyone else has said.