Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any August 2017 Sleevers?

1 minute ago, MorenaMagic said:

Thank you sooooo much. I am too. How about you?

I had surgery on the 16th. I am doing great! I don't even need pain meds.

I'm a 37 year old male and my surgery is scheduled for 8/28/17. I'm honestly not sure what to expect with the sleeve. I have yet to encounter any post-op sleevers that regret having this surgery. As my surgery date gets closer, my mood goes from excited to anxious to nervous. I keep telling myself that this is for my benefit in the long run. It's great to be surrounded by people who are in the same situation as me because I need all the support that I can get. Does anyone who's post-op have any suggestions on dealing with the anxiety/nervousness?

Hey Joonburg,
We (guys) are in the minority on this site and most WLS social media. I think the women outnumber the men in terms of getting the surgery and in posting about it. I haven't gotten my sleeve yet (a little pre-op limbo) but I did great with the LapBand back in 2009. Surgery went great and I lost all my excess weight (went from 282 down to 170, I'm 5'11) in the first year. My sister had it at the same time, and I can tell you it was easier for me to lose than her. I think us guys get a little advantage with muscle mass and not having to deal with monthly hormones.

As for anxiety, all I can say is try to relax. It's a quick procedure and the incisions are actually quite small (same for band and sleeve). I felt little or no pain at the incisions and only had minor gas pains. The gas pains aren't typical stomach gas pains, it's in your upper back. Yes it can be quite uncomfortable - but it isn't excruciating and it will go away in a few days. My best advice is walk early and often to help it to dissipate.

Best of luck to you.

I had surgery the 15th (sleeve and hiatal hernia repair) and haven't used any pain meds but lots of Zofran for nausea. I was concerned about gas in my back but got up and started walking as soon as I could....no gas pain! I have been extremely tired and have trouble getting the necessary fluids down. Dr said this is all normal and I'll be back to my self in no time! Best wishes for an easy surgery and speedy recovery. Keep us posted!

I used Premier Protein shakes preop and they're very good. I'm one week post op and trying to get in clear Protein is hard. Premier "clear" is awful but Atkins Lift isn't so bad. Today I started back on the full liquids.

Hi...this is my first post. I was sleeved on 8/10/17. I feel things have been going exceptionally well. Sometimes it feels like I'm not even sleeved then I get a reality check every now and then when drink Water or a Protein Drink. I had my 1 week post op follow up on 8/18 and was down 12 pounds from my surgery weight. I was advance to soft foods by the doc as tolerated but I'm a little nervous about the weight lost slowing now that i'm having a little more than just liquids (obviously minute portions). Hope the weight lost continues! It feels great to finally be under 200 again[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

I had my surgery in Massachusetts on Tuesday, 8/15, so am 4 days post op. I am doing great with my protocol's Stage III diet (shakes, yogurt, applesauce, broth, jello), but surprised to still be needing the strong pain medications. I have always had a very high pain tolerance compared to most folks, so I wasn't expecting to still be having surges of 7/8/9 on the pain scale at this point if I skip a dose. In neutral positions (lying flat, sitting reclined, standing) I am basically pain free, but any shifting or anything that uses my stomach muscles is excruciating at the two largest incision sites if I haven't taken the meds. Well, I guess that's why they were prescribed, right? And today is better than yesterday, etc.
Looking forward to hanging out with all of you on this journey. Our local support group meets once a month, and every three months I will have a work conflict, so I am grateful to find this place and other voices to connect with.

Who did your surgery

2 hours ago, NewShauna said:

Hi...this is my first post. I was sleeved on 8/10/17. I feel things have been going exceptionally well. Sometimes it feels like I'm not even sleeved then I get a reality check every now and then when drink Water or a Protein Drink. I had my 1 week post op follow up on 8/18 and was down 12 pounds from my surgery weight. I was advance to soft foods by the doc as tolerated but I'm a little nervous about the weight lost slowing now that i'm having a little more than just liquids (obviously minute portions). Hope the weight lost continues! It feels great to finally be under 200 againemoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G955U using BariatricPal mobile app

Congrats on your loss! I'm still pre-op (surgery in a week), but I've done a lot of reading on this site. One kind of counter-intuitive thing is that if you aren't getting enough calories, your weight loss will slow down. Obviously you still have to stay within the parameters of your diet at each stage, but at these early days, you're not going to be consuming a lot of calories unless you eat totally wrong things. But focus on your Water and your Protein and the weight loss will continue. Good luck!

I use premire Protein drink ! Its way better than powder milk! I remembered my mom use to use that stuff when i was a younster. That was back in the 1960s! Thats how far back that product goes & its still Nasty! I noticed on this forum that everyones Dr is different. For example I am 5 days post op & i can eat yogurt. Jello, cottage cheese & cream of wheat! So far Ive only eatten the greek vanilla yogurt, the jello with protein power added to it & sugar free popsciles!
I hope all goes well with you & will have much success!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

Hey Joonburg,
We (guys) are in the minority on this site and most WLS social media. I think the women outnumber the men in terms of getting the surgery and in posting about it. I haven't gotten my sleeve yet (a little pre-op limbo) but I did great with the LapBand back in 2009. Surgery went great and I lost all my excess weight (went from 282 down to 170, I'm 5'11) in the first year. My sister had it at the same time, and I can tell you it was easier for me to lose than her. I think us guys get a little advantage with muscle mass and not having to deal with monthly hormones.

As for anxiety, all I can say is try to relax. It's a quick procedure and the incisions are actually quite small (same for band and sleeve). I felt little or no pain at the incisions and only had minor gas pains. The gas pains aren't typical stomach gas pains, it's in your upper back. Yes it can be quite uncomfortable - but it isn't excruciating and it will go away in a few days. My best advice is walk early and often to help it to dissipate.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the advice and feedback, KartMan. It's good to hear from experience. I very much appreciate it.

14 hours ago, Fatgirl56 said:

I used Premier Protein shakes preop and they're very good. I'm one week post op and trying to get in clear Protein is hard. Premier "clear" is awful but Atkins Lift isn't so bad. Today I started back on the full liquids.

try Protein 2 O its really good especially tropical coconut

4 hours ago, guestnurse said:

Meeeeee!! 29th

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Me too, we are one week out. Scared, nervous and so excited!

1 hour ago, pumpedandready said:

I am so frustrated I am doing what I am supposed to do. Was sleeved 8 days ago and have only lost 2 pounds.

Sent from my SM-G935P using BariatricPal mobile app

Keep doing what you are supposed to do and try to relax a bit--there are a number of factors that might be affecting you at this point. Give it some time and don't weigh yourself too often early on. The weight will come off.