Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any August 2017 Sleevers?

I will say even now I have a pain around 1-2 if I move certain ways,but like you say muscle deep pain.....best of all to you!

Sent from my VS987 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you Harmony! For you too!

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

3 minutes ago, niseys4 said:

Yes I agree about the tea! When I was in the hospital they served me camomile tea! It was the best thing I could drink!
Thanks for the reminder. Now that im home ima go fix me some right now!

I hope I get something good. Boulder, Colorado is the home of Celestial Seasonings and Fort Collins is not too far away from there. :)

Hey has anyone experienced coughing or hick ups afer yoursurgery?
I was given a breathing machine that. Im supposed to use every hour to help prevent pnemonia after surgery but when i did my last breathing test at the hospital they said my lungs were clear & that my Cpap machine will help a lot too with my breathing. So last night I used my cpap & slept pretty good!

Well I just got back from seeing my doctor and he said I don't have to do a liquid diet ,just to try not to over eat before surgery on Monday but i could do it if wanted ,so I think I am going too do it . The date is Almost here [emoji4]

Same here, I was advised that I didnt need to do the pre-op liquid diet also that I was lucky to get approved b4 losing more weight! I will start a 2 day liquid fast tomorrow though!
4'11"
HW 201
CW 176
SW ? WILL SEE MONDAY, MY SURGERY DATE 8-21

mybariatricjourney

Hello everyone! Well i am now 2 days post op! Here was my experiance.
I was schedule to come to register & pay my $300 co pay at 6:30 am. We arrived 15mins early & had to wait for 20 mins to come register. Ok so that was done. After we register & finally go into the pre op room where they weigh you & take ur vitals. So after another 15 mins. I was taken down the to the other end of the room & given my surgerical gown & to put the IV in, that hurt btw, I think the RN was a little ruff because it was just routine for her do that. Now the other RN who gave me the blood thinner shot was very gentle. So all that was done. It took another 3 hrs to go in to have my surgery. Even though I was told I was Dr Fordorkas first patient it still took him that long to come get me. SO it was from 6:15-11am to get my surgery started. When I was waken up from that wonderful sleep it was about noon time. No here is the worse part: i stayed in the recovery room for 5 hours waiting for hospital room! My family was very upset because they were waiting for all that time with no one coming to update them on my status! It was 5pm when I finally got into my room![emoji35]
But after all that waiting my surgery went well. My pain stayed between the 3-4 mark on the pain chart. The,first thing I did before they hook me up with all the omitors & stuff I used the rest & walk a little! My nurses all thought I was their super star patient. They didnt expect me to go pee or walk so soon! They didnt know that my goal was go home in Less than 24 hrs in order to get some of my copay back. You see kaiser told me if i stayed in the hospital for less than 24hrs then my copay would only be $124. So if they didnt make me wait so long just get my surgery done I wouldve made & got some of my copay back. Plus I over heard that Dr Fordorka is a very slow doctor! But for me he did a very good job on me![emoji16]

I have Dr Fedorka too. My surgery is on Aug 31st and I am glad that everything went well and your pain level was low. I can't wait for my date to come!!!

Hi everyone names Iris im almost 38 Married 18 years, we have 11 year old son and a 18 month old golden retriever puppy named Rosie

i had my surgery 8-9

I never struggled with my weight till i was 17 when my father got sick then passed away the following year my weight went from 140 up to 180 and then just sky rocketed i was 180 when i met my husband at 18 (at my highest i was almost 300 when i was pg with my son and in Jan of this year i was almost 280) my weight over the years has went up and down between 220 and 280

I have numerous chronic issues 3 of which i have had since i was 12 severe Asthma, High BP and Migraines i also over the years devolved Diabetes, with that came Neuropathy, i was in a bad car accident 4 years ago that lead to 4 herniated disc's in my back so i have chronic pain every day, and i also have stage 1 CLL which was found due to the accident when they saw enlarged lymph nodes on a Cat-scan.

So the way it works here is my network is Lourdes and my primary referred me to the weight loss team i called them in Feb they told me i come to a info session and at that session i signed up for my 1st appt with the doc. So i was at the doc by the end of Feb and started the next month with the 1st of 3 nutrition classes which over the course of 6 months helped me lose 35lbs so between Feb and July i saw the weight loss team every month (weather it be the doc or a nutrition class) then July 26th i went on my liquid diet lost additional 10 pound and on 8-9 had my surgery. I stayed over 1 night (i had the option to stay 2 but i wanted to go home and be in my bed and its just my husband to take care of me my sister lives over an hour away my mom doesn't drive so even though she lives close i cant count on her a lot and my in laws are worthless besides my son is special needs and i felt better being there with him even though i know my husband is completely capable of taking care of him my hubby was able to get off work 8-9 though that following Monday)

So today im 220

Hope to connect with you all help each other though this journey

I had my surgery in Massachusetts on Tuesday, 8/15, so am 4 days post op. I am doing great with my protocol's Stage III diet (shakes, yogurt, applesauce, broth, jello), but surprised to still be needing the strong pain medications. I have always had a very high pain tolerance compared to most folks, so I wasn't expecting to still be having surges of 7/8/9 on the pain scale at this point if I skip a dose. In neutral positions (lying flat, sitting reclined, standing) I am basically pain free, but any shifting or anything that uses my stomach muscles is excruciating at the two largest incision sites if I haven't taken the meds. Well, I guess that's why they were prescribed, right? And today is better than yesterday, etc.

Looking forward to hanging out with all of you on this journey. Our local support group meets once a month, and every three months I will have a work conflict, so I am grateful to find this place and other voices to connect with.

1 hour ago, Irisbramble said:

Hi everyone names Iris im almost 38 Married 18 years, we have 11 year old son and a 18 month old golden retriever puppy named Rosie

i had my surgery 8-9

I never struggled with my weight till i was 17 when my father got sick then passed away the following year my weight went from 140 up to 180 and then just sky rocketed i was 180 when i met my husband at 18 (at my highest i was almost 300 when i was pg with my son and in Jan of this year i was almost 280) my weight over the years has went up and down between 220 and 280

I have numerous chronic issues 3 of which i have had since i was 12 severe Asthma, High BP and Migraines i also over the years devolved Diabetes, with that came Neuropathy, i was in a bad car accident 4 years ago that lead to 4 herniated disc's in my back so i have chronic pain every day, and i also have stage 1 CLL which was found due to the accident when they saw enlarged lymph nodes on a Cat-scan.

So the way it works here is my network is Lourdes and my primary referred me to the weight loss team i called them in Feb they told me i come to a info session and at that session i signed up for my 1st appt with the doc. So i was at the doc by the end of Feb and started the next month with the 1st of 3 nutrition classes which over the course of 6 months helped me lose 35lbs so between Feb and July i saw the weight loss team every month (weather it be the doc or a nutrition class) then July 26th i went on my liquid diet lost additional 10 pound and on 8-9 had my surgery. I stayed over 1 night (i had the option to stay 2 but i wanted to go home and be in my bed and its just my husband to take care of me my sister lives over an hour away my mom doesn't drive so even though she lives close i cant count on her a lot and my in laws are worthless besides my son is special needs and i felt better being there with him even though i know my husband is completely capable of taking care of him my hubby was able to get off work 8-9 though that following Monday)

So today im 220

Hope to connect with you all help each other though this journey

I went through Lourdes also. I had my serge on the 16th. I'm still trying to get the gas out but I do t really have much pain during the day. At night I have to take the pain meds because I wake up in pain in the middle of the night. Are you going to support groups? How do you know when you drink to much. I don't feel hungry but also don't get sick when I drink.

2 minutes ago, Deegil said:

I went through Lourdes also. I had my serge on the 16th. I'm still trying to get the gas out but I do t really have much pain during the day. At night I have to take the pain meds because I wake up in pain in the middle of the night. Are you going to support groups? How do you know when you drink to much. I don't feel hungry but also don't get sick when I drink.

I feel it right away it's like a full/gas feeling and it hurts that's how I know I've drank to much or too fast and i still get gas off and on so i use the pain meds still day and night not every 4 hours but when I need them. I don't feel hungry either after almost 2 weeks but i eat to get Protein and I try my hardest to get to 60 g of protein between food/liquid.

I don't go to the support groups since it's hard for me to find child care.

Hello Jaejae79
How did ur procedure go? Im 2 days post op myself!

My surgery went well. When they went in, found out I had a hiatal hernia that needed repairing so that was done in addition to the sleeve. Having a cough and cold has been brutal. I'd recommend postponing surgery if you have some sort of cold going on. I cough up stuff, accidentally swallowing if sometimes, then my stomach doesn't agree and spasms. So there's that... My nausea is improving. Had a spell this morning that made me vomit with my first Water but was fine after that. The pain is non-existent at all 4 of my lap sites (as well as the 1 drain site). I am struggling to get all of my water in so Protein is on the back burner. I can only drink an ounce at a time and around every 15mins. The surgeon's office called yesterday and advised me to just focus on water over the weekend until I can tolerate more and also start using Milk of Magnesia since I haven't had to "go" yet. That stuff is NASTY. Lol. Anyway, that's pretty much it for now. About to go for a short walk outside although it's pretty hot and humid out.

I had my surgery on the 16th, as planned. The 2-week pre-op mostly-liquid diet was brutal for the first 6 days, and then it was like a switch was flipped, and it got far more bearable. I now believe it was absolutely necessary for me to adhere to that not just in order to shrink my liver, but to get my head in the right space for what was to come.

I'm now 4 days post-op and feel cautiously optimistic so far. I was able to leave the hospital after one full day cycle, pain controlled with the help of liquid hydrocodone and acetaminophen. I believe this is called Norco, by name brand. I've only been taking it at night to help with restful sleep. It causes terrible dry mouth but is effective for a few hours in relieving almost all discomfort and pain. My pain and gas pain hasn't been terrible, and I feel quite grateful for that. I'd say the incision from which the excised stomach portion was removed is probably the most tender. All together, I have 7 cuts in my belly.

I've moved from Clear Liquids to full liquids, and I am taking my proton pump inhibitor sprinkled in a small amount of apple sauce. The BariatricPal chicken bouillon has been great for me. In addition, I'm drinking fortified chocolate milk made with skim milk, dry powdered milk, and Carnation Instant Breakfast (no sugar added variety). Premier Protein drinks are also a lifesaver. On the Water front, I keep a bottle by me at all times and try to constantly take tiny sips. Anything more than 2 mid-sized sips in a row results in instant pain.

I stepped on the scale yesterday, curious, and I was already down 5 lbs. Yowza! I'm actually trying really hard to get up to speed on full amounts of Protein, water intake, and eventually general nutrition as quickly as possible, as safely as possible. I don't consider this a race to weight loss, but rather a race to maintain a healthy metabolism throughout this long journey. Weight loss will happen regardless, but I really don't want to end up with an abnormally low resting metabolic rate because of near-starvation levels of nutrition for an extended period of time. I have my RMR tested before going on the pre-op diet, and it was 1740 kcal a day.

The worst part about this early recovery time is the boredom! I'm glad I have two weeks from work to recuperate, but I wish I could go do more, out and about. In time, I know. I just need to be patient. I was worried I'd have regrets too, but so far none. I was ready to let go being slave to my appetite. I look forward to a future where I can still sample delicious foods of many varieties, but only in moderate or small amounts. To me, this surgery is a tool to teach me balance and moderation.

Hope everyone else who had their surgery this month so far is doing great!

On 8/18/2017 at 1:45 PM, lindabalseca said:

forget the gas x drink chamomile tea it will get all the gas out

Thanks for the tip. I ran out and bought the tea. My surgery is Thursday August 24th.

Edited by tlkmry59

Thanks for the tip. I ran out and bought the tea. My surgery is Thursday August 24th.

It will also help a little with some regularity [emoji4]

2 hours ago, lindabalseca said:

It will also help a little with some regularity emoji4.png

What kind of tea is it?