Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you HAVE to follow a low carb diet?

3 hours ago, slimmingsteff said:

Hello guys. Keto has never caught my attention. I've been able to lose weight eating healthy carbs. Anytime I did do carb cycling, where I would have to eat low carb, I just felt terrible. Now please don't take this as "oh wow she's unmotivated to change her lifestyle". Doing Keto literally contradicts all the knowledge I've gained on macronutrients all my life. (I also talk about this in reference of way after the 6 weeks. Maybe 6 months from post-op)

There's been a lot of great responses already about doing what is right for you and your body...ditto that.

I am definitely not trying to talk you into anything or make any type of point, I just wanted to share the benefit I get out of low carb in case you were wondering why anyone in their right mind would give up bread! :51_scream:

I'm not in ketosis because I eat fruit and Beans, but I avoid grains, sugar and potatoes. When I eat like this, I do not have any cravings and am not tempted by anything and its smooth sailing. But, boy oh boy, one piece of bread, and that dopamine high triggers all kinds of cravings for a few days and I want to eat everything in sight. I can still lose while eating carbs, it is just so hard to stay on track. Since I can lose, I guess I am not carb-sensitive as I've heard others describe - I'm just a junkie!

I'm quite jealous of you. I wish I could lose while eating carbs. enjoy :)

I have to keep my carb count down because of diabetes. So my plan is to eat low carb, but not ultra low. I will base the level on my bs and go from there. So far my daily carbs have been coming in around 30-35 and my bs has been great.

I think I'd like to make something clear, or do I need clearing of what most people think of when they hear or say "carb"?

Simple carbs = BAD candy, chips, Cookies, white bread

Complex carbs = GOOD fruit, veggies, grains

I fear that there's not much emphasis placed complex carbs, like they're all rolled up with the simple carbs. Docs and Nuts saying stay away from carbs I get it, but really, they should be saying to stay away from simple carbs. I am not here to talk anyone in to eating carbs, I just think there needs to be better emphasis on which kind of carbs when someone says "I don't eat carbs" or "I eat low carb" or "I eat carbs!"

Here's an article that explains the simple and complex carbs. Please especially read if you're not familiar with how carbs are broken down and why some are bad and some are good.

https://authoritynutrition.com/simple-vs-complex-carbs/

Wow, thank you all for your replies!! I definitely do plan on trying Keto at first, but I DO NOT see it working for me for the rest of my life. I love my complex carbs. And keto usually doesn't discriminate. Watermelon, for example, has close to the allowed carb intake for the day. When I speak about carbs, I def mean complex! Thank you all for your replies - I will take every single one into account. I was really nervous posting this question. So thanks!

I see. Okay. So..
The Keto diet is about putting the body into a state of ketosis. It's effectively tricking the body, particularly the liver, into thinking you're starving, but it realizes you aren't, if you're doing this diet as it should be done.
The liver first synthesizes carbs and stores it for fuels, but it quickly can be completely full of it rather quickly, so it then turns into converting those carbs to fatty acids.. those fatty acids get sent around the bloodstream generally to areas rife with fat (in men it's primarily the gut, in women it's a lot of places), but they also infiltrate the liver itself.
When the liver is deprived of carbohydrates, it starts producing ketone bodies that tell areas that need energy (the brain, muscles, organs, etc. ) to start looking for other methods of energy consumption. The first method of consumption is Protein. The second one is fatty acids. For the muscles, they quickly can run out of fatty acids, so need a steady stream of protein to prevent the ketone bodies from having the body burn up the muscle Proteins instead as fuel (replacing them with fat). The organs like the brain, heart, etc. will easily adjust, using whatever protein it can (not much), and then changing over to burning up fat, which, in an obese person, is rife.
So it makes sense from a standpoint of a perfectly healthy person to go with a normal diet you suggest, which is in line with what the government typically suggests with their food pyramid, but in an obese person due to the excess accumulation of fat, this processed needs to be reversed. Ketosis is, I find, the quickest way of accomplishing this, and when done correctly, and especially under doctor supervision, is quite healthy.
And it's not to suggest eating foods rife with sucralose.. not a good idea. But the body needs protein anyways to avoid burning up the protein in muscles. A high fat diet I think is okay in the short term, because in a state of ketosis the body will burn through that quickly anyways, nothing will come from it. But yes, as a person becomes thinner and requires less energy input to satisfy what their body needs, you'll find that the high volume of ketone bodies and fat will wind up working against the person. So as they get smaller, they must adjust to what their body needs.
I find a logical approach is by far what works best.. what you'll see often is people who are religious-like about diets and such.. which is counterproductive.

Thank you so much for this. Really explains everything. I do know the benefits of your body going into ketosis - which usually happens whenever you even start a diet. But yes, keto would keep that process going. You also answer one of my worries - is it supposed to be lifelong. I can see myself doing it for 6 months. But definitely not my whole journey. I also had gallstones as a child (which is CRAZY), so that worries me too.

There's been a lot of great responses already about doing what is right for you and your body...ditto that.
I am definitely not trying to talk you into anything or make any type of point, I just wanted to share the benefit I get out of low carb in case you were wondering why anyone in their right mind would give up bread! :51_scream:
I'm not in ketosis because I eat fruit and Beans, but I avoid grains, sugar and potatoes. When I eat like this, I do not have any cravings and am not tempted by anything and its smooth sailing. But, boy oh boy, one piece of bread, and that dopamine high triggers all kinds of cravings for a few days and I want to eat everything in sight. I can still lose while eating carbs, it is just so hard to stay on track. Since I can lose, I guess I am not carb-sensitive as I've heard others describe - I'm just a junkie!
I'm quite jealous of you. I wish I could lose while eating carbs. enjoy [emoji4]

Did it take you awhile to realize that piece of bread was a trigger? Honestly I'm open to "experimenting" but I'm scared to do something wrong!

43 minutes ago, slimmingsteff said:

Did it take you awhile to realize that piece of bread was a trigger? Honestly I'm open to "experimenting" but I'm scared to do something wrong!

That's how you find out..

It's like type 2 diabetic people finding out what foods spike their blood sugar the most by measuring it before the food and a while after. Sometimes only way to know is to find out.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

I have naturally fallen into a lower carb diet. I began eating my Protein first. Once I finish my protein I will eat a carb (usually a veggie). I have good restriction so I'm rarely able to get much carb in during meals. I essentially eat meat and a few veggies. My go to Snacks are Greek yogurt with berries.

I'm confused. Are your surgeons and NUTS recommending Keto? Why would you have weight loss surgery and then go on what is basically a fad diet? I had surgery to stop letting fad diets get in my head. Yes, they work. Fad diets always have. Until they don't. If I follow the guidelines my surgeon and NUT gave me, I'm ultimately eating low carb anyway. They don't recommend simple carbs, and I admit like everyone else, they don't work for me. But I shake my head at all of these post op people following keto plans. It sounds to me like keto is to lose weight. Surgery should accomplish that on its on. It did for me.

Michelle, you bring up a valid point. In the rat studies, the rats that get the surgery go back on a regular diet after the healing period and they lose weight.

But, I think our problem is we don't really know what an ideal human diet looks like.... and the very real possibility that what is ideal for one person isn't ideal for another.

I like the idea of the caveman diet.. and though it isn't certain how much Protein was available, we can be sure things like grains and sugar were in limited supply. And refined versions were unheard of.

After surgery it is really hard to get all your meat down. I have consistently lost 5 pounds per week eating some Protein with every meal and then whatever I can fit after that. I think you are right about finding balance and making sure we get all the nutrients from fruits and vegetables.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

7 hours ago, Newme17 said:

I think I'd like to make something clear, or do I need clearing of what most people think of when they hear or say "carb"?

Simple carbs = BAD candy, chips, Cookies, white bread

Complex carbs = GOOD fruit, veggies, grains

I fear that there's not much emphasis placed complex carbs, like they're all rolled up with the simple carbs. Docs and Nuts saying stay away from carbs I get it, but really, they should be saying to stay away from simple carbs. I am not here to talk anyone in to eating carbs, I just think there needs to be better emphasis on which kind of carbs when someone says "I don't eat carbs" or "I eat low carb" or "I eat carbs!"

Here's an article that explains the simple and complex carbs. Please especially read if you're not familiar with how carbs are broken down and why some are bad and some are good.

https://authoritynutrition.com/simple-vs-complex-carbs/

You have a good point @Newme17. The only carbs I eat are "good carbs" from veggies, low sugar berries, and legumes.

simple carbs don't really have much nutritional value and for a diabetic are bad.

Bottom line: everyBODY is different. If we knew what sort of diet worked for everyone I doubt anyone would need WLS. Listen to your brain and your gut and your new tiny stomach. In my opinion.

HW 420
SW 347
CW 319
Sleeved April 10, 2017