Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost over 70 pounds so far but I barely feel any different?

Hi all!

So I'm 4 months post op. My SW was 350lbs and now I'm down to 278. I've lost almost 75 pounds so far and while I'm really proud and happy with my progress I guess I also can't help but feel a little disappointed? Ive only gone down one clothing size and it doesn't really feel like my appearance and general energy level has changed very much. Obviously I do notice some little things like my bathrobe fitting better but I guess I just expecting a much bigger difference in how I look/feel after 70+ pounds.

Overall I'm happy with the surgery and I have no regrets but I guess I'm having to realize just how seriously overweight I was before and how it's going to be a lot before I really see a major change. I know I'm not even 6 months post op and I've still got a ways to go before my goal weight but did anyone else go through a similar kind of disappointment? Like did it take longer than expected for things to really feel "different"?

I started a little higher than you. Surgery day I was a tight 28, by the time I lost 70 pounds, I think I was a 24 or a 22, it gets kind of weird around that point because I changed and skipped sizes.

I still didn't feel very different. I mean I know I had lost weight, and I was smaller but I was still morbidly obese and large to the rest of the world. Plus I was still shopping in the same stores.

I don't think I really started feeling satisfied until about 100-110 pounds down. Even though physically I felt so much better before that mark health wise, looking at myself I couldn't see a lot of difference, not like what other people saw.

Once I could wear like a regular size 18, not a plus size. I was a lot happier

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I always feel it is best to look at this surgery as something to help you get healthy, never as something that would make me look better or skinnier. I truthfully think that "appearance" is a horrible reason to have WLS (I'm not in any way saying this pertains to you @krystalrose219, I'm just putting it out there because it is related to this topic).

So, have you had any blood work yet to see if your co-morbidity issues have improved? Also, has it become easier to move without being in pain? Those are the victories I would advise seeking, as in the end they are what truly matters! All the best!!

I definitely can relate. I started at 540 pounds and had surgery at 480 pounds and a size 34. I don't think I TRULY felt a difference until I got to the 300's. I was able to buy smaller sizes and shop at Torrid again. Before I could only really shop at Catherine's. I was able to walk easier and breathe without added oxygen.

You will notice it eventually. It takes our minds longer to catch up than our body. I STILL have trouble mentally feeling a difference and also seeing a difference sometimes because of my mentality even though I am down 250 pounds and now weight 290. It's a mental struggle that I'm trying to deal with.

I'm having the opposite problem. I started at 305, and am down 42lbs. I feel so good, that when I go shopping, I'm shocked when a 2x is too tight! (Euro sizing I think). Definitely have to keep reminding myself that I'm still huge!

Someone mentioned a good analogy between weight loss and a roll of toilet paper.

A roll of toilet paper that starts with 300+ sheets is fairly large. If we remove 50 sheets from the roll, it will still appear somewhat large to the naked eye, whereas a roll of toilet paper that starts with 180 sheets will look strikingly small after having had 50 sheets removed.

Likewise, a 50-pound weight loss may be less noticeable on a person with a starting weight of 300+ pounds. However, a loss of 50+ pounds will appear dramatic and very noticeable on a 180-pound individual.

The moral of the story? Your weight loss will become more noticeable to you as you continue to lose weight. Good luck to you.

I'm down about 65 and went from a 22 to a 16/14. I'm working out and toning, so I definitely look better, but still being in "plus" sizes and kind of lumpy for the smaller/regular sizes is a bummer. I don't necessarily see the loss either, even though I know it's there and not necessarily rational to feel this way.

I about 270 right now. In the past I have gotten up to 280 and then back down to around 200. Also, when I was in highschool I stayed around 170-180. Through all these ups and down, I've always felt HUGE, like the biggest person in the room. Hindsight being 20-20, I think "I would love to be 170!". But, in reality, I DIDN'T love being 170.

Navigating the Wilderness hit it right on the nose.

You're doing fine! Go to a gardening center or a gym and pick up a 50lb bag or weights and start walking around and see how it feels. You will notice right away... I've done that and have lost over 100 lbs. and recently went to a friends house and gave his 120 lb sister a piggy back ride around their living room, I then realized what weight loss is all about! Good Luck!

I read an article about women's clothing sizes that put things into perspective a little as for changing clothing sizes. The article said that regular sized up to a size 12 have a 1 inch difference in the fit of the waste between sizes, regular sizes 14-18 have a 1.5" difference and plus sizes have a 3" difference so you will logically lost clothing sizes slower in plus sizes.

I'm down 83 pounds and most days I still don't see a difference in myself either (301-219) but I also see myself everyday. Remember as time passes and more weight loss happens you will see the difference.

definitely can relate! my starting weight was 359 and im almost 4 months post op. I have lost 60 pounds and I feel different but I don't think I look different. But then I put a picture of my body that I took last week next to a pic back from January and I can totally see a difference now! like others mentioned, I think its because im "so big" that I cant see much difference. eventually we will see a difference and that's what should motivate us to keep going!

I read an article about women's clothing sizes that put things into perspective a little as for changing clothing sizes. The article said that regular sized up to a size 12 have a 1 inch difference in the fit of the waste between sizes, regular sizes 14-18 have a 1.5" difference and plus sizes have a 3" difference so you will logically lost clothing sizes slower in plus sizes.
I'm down 83 pounds and most days I still don't see a difference in myself either (301-219) but I also see myself everyday. Remember as time passes and more weight loss happens you will see the difference.

Ditto to this. Plus must of us are currently fitting a 'tight' ____ size and probably the next size up would fit better. So when we lose that first size, it's almost 2. And like this person said. Plus sizes are much different than lower sizes.

Keep up the good work! You're doing great!