Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bored With Weight Loss. Recipe for regain?

This is going to be kind of rambling.

My original personal secret goal for myself was just to get to 250 pounds. Being over 300 pounds for like 20 years that seemed like an amazing milestone on its own. I hit 250 at around 8.5 months, so I obviously I decided to keep going. I had a goal of 180, my HS weight but I never really thought it was obtainable, at least not when I started.

I bounce around a lot in a weight range of 5 pounds right now, my body is really fighting against going lower but I know it will, it doesn't really have any choice with my diet and activity levels.

I set a goal earlier this year to get my body fat to 30% and whatever weight that was, I would be happy at that fat percentage. Now with the pending possible changes to insurance I have decided to lose to a normal BMI. I want to lose to a normal BMI, which would mean losing to around 150 (which I'm not even really sure is possible or suggested because I have about 122 lbs of lean mass).

I am not quite 2 years out from surgery. Lately I have been feeling bored with the whole process. I think realistically it would take me another 6 months to lose 27 pounds. I'm not sure I really have another 6 months in me.

Anyone else feel like this? Bored? I feel being bored is going to make less diligent in the long term.

I totally get where you are coming from. It is hard to not get bored with this! I've been there, done that.

I have to say, I am SO impressed with the amount of weight you have lost and how far you have come. I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but this is one reason why I am so glad I had my sleeve surgery when I was at a lower bmi. You can absolutely lose the rest of the weight AND you should keep up the fight to do so!! But realistically, it will be much harder for you to get to a normal bmi than it is for me to maintain a normal bmi, even if you are working much harder at it and I am lazy about it. It's not fair, but it seems to be true more often than not.

This is one reason why I think people should be intervening and having this surgery much sooner than they are. Again, I still say keep doing what you are doing, you got this!

@funinthesun00

When I first started this and a long time ago before I ever had surgery. I thought surgery was just for extremely large people. People that were larger than I was, just like 500, 600 pound people. I still think that is the mindset of most people. Surgery is only for really extreme cases.

Now after being in the WLS world for long, my opinion is completely different. I think people with low BMIs that keep yo-yo dieting should have medical intervention if needed. I think that catching obesity early before letting it get out of hand is important.

If I only had 100, 120 pounds to lose I could already be done.

I realized answering someones question on another forum that my boredom is coming from the fact the NSV and SV at this point are far and few between (I'm a normal size now). So it is just a lot of the same thing. Picking up a size 8 in a store isn't more thrilling than picking up a 10. Also as I go further down in sizes the more problems I have. My arms are too big for a lot of things that fit everywhere else. My waist is small, my boobs are huge, etc.

I don't have a lot of interest in being a size 4 or a size 6 and that is the direction I am headed in. I don't really desire to lose more weight, I'm happy with my physical size, but I know being at a healthy BMI is really important, so I am going to have to keep going.

I often think this way. Getting to a comfortable weight and size is sooo personal. 12 is great for me. (10's in a good month) but I'm not willing to struggle super hard daily. I eat right and work out and feel just right where I am
After 10 + years, and at 60 + age. I'm good right here

@Julie norton

Thanks. I am looking forward to building my wardrobe again. I had 3 closets bursting at the seams full of clothes before WLS. I had several winter coats in varying length and materials. hundreds of shoes *sigh* All gone.

I want to get stable so I can start rebuilding my life and it just feels like it is taking forever.

This is going to be kind of rambling.
My original personal secret goal for myself was just to get to 250 pounds. Being over 300 pounds for like 20 years that seemed like an amazing milestone on its own. I hit 250 at around 8.5 months, so I obviously I decided to keep going. I had a goal of 180, my HS weight but I never really thought it was obtainable, at least not when I started.
I bounce around a lot in a weight range of 5 pounds right now, my body is really fighting against going lower but I know it will, it doesn't really have any choice with my diet and activity levels.
I set a goal earlier this year to get my body fat to 30% and whatever weight that was, I would be happy at that fat percentage. Now with the pending possible changes to insurance I have decided to lose to a normal BMI. I want to lose to a normal BMI, which would mean losing to around 150 (which I'm not even really sure is possible or suggested because I have about 122 lbs of lean mass).
I am not quite 2 years out from surgery. Lately I have been feeling bored with the whole process. I think realistically it would take me another 6 months to lose 27 pounds. I'm not sure I really have another 6 months in me.
Anyone else feel like this? Bored? I feel being bored is going to make less diligent in the long term.

I'm 3.5 years out and feeling the same way. I surpassed goal and got to my maybe maybe target of 132 from 254 and I go up and down within 5. My exercise has only ever been walk in the morning and walk at night total walking probably 90min.
My Husband got in a rut and I keep encouraging him who is also met his goal but is about 12 up at the moment. Truth is I am bored with all of it food walking the lot. I feel heavy and it's a chore. I will be watching to see what you come up with because I know how easy it is for it all to fall down if we don't stay on track. Good Luck

Two and a half years out and really struggling with food choices. I mean it does get sooooo boring thinking about meals every day, but if I don’t, well the pounds pile on. Then I have to work hard and I do lose it... then I get bored and .. well enough said. I have had a lot of health issues in the past 10 months but don’t want to use that as an excuse.

Feel like I’m on a hamster wheel at times trying to catch my tail.

12 hours ago, _Kate_ said:

Two and a half years out and really struggling with food choices.

What are your current food choices and what are the foods you eat when you "don't watch it"? Do you see a way of incorporating the foods you obviously crave into your daily routine in a way that doesn't make you gain weight?

5 hours ago, summerset said:

What are your current food choices and what are the foods you eat when you "don't watch it"? Do you see a way of incorporating the foods you obviously crave into your daily routine in a way that doesn't make you gain weight?

If only it were that simple. Depression, inactivity due to operations and drinking alcohol makes my weight fluctuate. When I drink I make poor choices. At one stage this year I considered myself a functioning alcoholic. I started having 3 meals a day which doesn’t work for me, 5 or 6 small meals are much better.

I found I could eat chocolate all day every day which was my emotional go to before the surgery. I am an all or nothing person so the alcohol has stopped and therefore so has the chocolate. I would say I’m 90% on track... it’s just the other 10% which screws it up.

Just changed my current weight... accountability will help. 😜

I know this is an old post - but very relevant. It is hard to sustain the focus!

I am nearly 6 years post conversion from band to sleeve so I have a cumulative 16 years of failing and succeeding post bariatric surgery (my goodness, how time flies). For me, the only way I can maintain is to maintain diligence; or to regain diligence quickly when it inevitably weakens a bit. It can be depressing, BUT, I am lucky that as a horsewoman I have friends who tend towards fitness. As they age along side me, it seems they struggle about the same I do - I am just more fatigued...haha. Also, I probably could be 300-350# again if I let it get that far out of control, and that consequence is unlikely for them. So, I think for me, the consequences are bigger - more life and death.

I just joined a 6 week body transformation along with a bunch of other desk job types who have no concept of morbid obesity. I feel so normal - ha - struggling over the pounds along with everyone else!

2 hours ago, CowgirlJane said:

I know this is an old post - but very relevant. It is hard to sustain the focus!

I am nearly 6 years post conversion from band to sleeve so I have a cumulative 16 years of failing and succeeding post bariatric surgery (my goodness, how time flies). For me, the only way I can maintain is to maintain diligence; or to regain diligence quickly when it inevitably weakens a bit. It can be depressing, BUT, I am lucky that as a horsewoman I have friends who tend towards fitness. As they age along side me, it seems they struggle about the same I do - I am just more fatigued...haha. Also, I probably could be 300-350# again if I let it get that far out of control, and that consequence is unlikely for them. So, I think for me, the consequences are bigger - more life and death.

I just joined a 6 week body transformation along with a bunch of other desk job types who have no concept of morbid obesity. I feel so normal - ha - struggling over the pounds along with everyone else!

Long time no see!

Yeah I learned that tail end of summer that not tracking is not an option for me. I have a lot of flexibility in how I eat, but I still need to track because it is easy to let things get out of hand.

I have to accept that I will always have to be conscious of what I eat, and in what quantities. Which can seem overwhelming when you think about an entire lifetime, but it is still better than the alternative. Being super morbidly obese is not an option.

Good to "see" you@cowgirljane

I think that's very important to remember/realize. Just because we struggle with a few (or 10 or 20) "vanity" pounds as I like to call them, doesn't mean we have lost. The health benefits of keeping off 125lbs far outweigh my stress Over the 10 I regained. It's a NORMAL thing for even those who have never been obese (like my hubby who wore size 30-32 jeans until he was 50 and now is upset that he's a 34).

Post menopausal women especially gain an average of a pound a year. Metabolism slows and we all struggle. I feel this surgery has made the whole thing manageable, unlike before.

Thanks folks. For the last years I have been about losing then recovering from plastics. It is.hard to figure it into the day to day.