Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op diet...how much did u

This Wednesday I start my 2 week pre-op diet. I have to drink a Protein shake for Breakfast, one for lunch with a fruit and for dinner, 4 oz lean Protein with a side of veggies. I know it will be a hellish two weeks but I hope that the pounds melt off. I was wondering how much did you all lose on your pre-op diets?

Edited by sarcruze

I haven't began my full 2 week pre-op diet but I have made some changes initially. So far I'm down a couple of pounds. Tomorrow begins my actual 2 week pre-op diet and I will be following one close to yours. So, let's see how it goes.

I'm 11 days into my pre op diet. We have the same meal plan. I've been drinking "premier" Protein Shakes four times a day and eating my lean Protein dinner.

I want you to know....the shakes work and if you follow that plan to a tee. You will lose 10-15 pounds before surgery. The pounds fell off of me...so good that it ALMOST seems logical to just follow this diet rather than having surgery. Ummmm, NOT!!There is no way I'm turning back now. I did my final blood draw...and got my surgery I.D. band today....Its really about to happen....loooong process from start to finish...Follow that plan...you will be good!

13 hours ago, 10stackzz said:

I'm 11 days into my pre op diet. We have the same meal plan. I've been drinking "premier" Protein shakes four times a day and eating my lean Protein dinner.

I want you to know....the shakes work and if you follow that plan to a tee. You will lose 10-15 pounds before surgery. The pounds fell off of me...so good that it ALMOST seems logical to just follow this diet rather than having surgery. Ummmm, NOT!!There is no way I'm turning back now. I did my final blood draw...and got my surgery I.D. band today....Its really about to happen....loooong process from start to finish...Follow that plan...you will be good!

That is awesome to hear. I have already lost several pounds just following the plan my nutritionist gave to me. But, I'm trying to make sure my liver is in the best shape possible before surgery. My primary care doctor was actively trying to talk me out of this at my pre-op check. Saying that if I was doing so good this way why couldn't I just continue it. I shut that down very swiftly. Congrats and so glad there is a huge community of us.

I only had to do a 2 week liquid diet. I decided to start about 2 weeks early, to get the hang of it. I lost a pound a day for the first 10 days. After that, the weight loss has slowed dramatically, the hunger, thirst, and cravings are real! I am down to losing a pound every 3-4 days.

I tell you this because this severely restricted diet is absolutely not feasible long term. Even if it were continued, the weight loss would cease.

I am soo ready to just get on with it! Surgery in 5 more days!

I lost 26 pounds between my 2 week pre-op diet and my 2 week post-op appt. My diet for those 4 wks was strictly liquid. Lots of premier shakes and low fat cream Soups. I wasn't permitted to have any type of solid food during this stage and i had little strength to get to the gym those first 2 wks. Surgery was just 7 weeks ago this past Monday & i'm down 42 lbs total, with 5 days a week at the gym since 3 wks post-op. Definitely lost a lot of muscle during those 4 wks and i'm finally gaining it back or the number might even be lower. Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Thank you all for the replies!!! Today I start my diet and I have yet to drink a shake or eat anything. I do not like shakes at all and just thinking about it makes me want to gag. I am going to make the premier chocolate Protein Shakes into fudgesicles and see if that will trick my brain because I do love fudgesicles. I had one too many food funerals in the last week and I have gained all of the weight I had lost plus a few pounds extra. I gain a pound just by smelling food. I am so upset with myself because none of the food I ate really tasted that good anyways. I just wanted to stuff my face because I knew I won't be able to after surgery.

Thank you all for the replies!!! Today I start my diet and I have yet to drink a shake or eat anything. I do not like shakes at all and just thinking about it makes me want to gag. I am going to make the premier chocolate Protein shakes into fudgesicles and see if that will trick my brain because I do love fudgesicles. I had one too many food funerals in the last week and I have gained all of the weight I had lost plus a few pounds extra. I gain a pound just by smelling food. I am so upset with myself because none of the food I ate really tasted that good anyways. I just wanted to stuff my face because I knew I won't be able to after surgery.

Started at 310 and dropped 10 during one week of preop liquids. Third day out from surgery, dropped another 5, which worries me about dehydration.

I hate Protein Shakes too, but I can tolerate Protein Water, tastes like crystal light, but has 15g of protein per 17oz serving. Sip, sipping away. Good luck on your journey!

I'm on day 5 of my pre op diet and I have lost 6 pounds. This makes a 20 pound loss since I began this process back in December.
I do not strictly follow the pre op diet given to me by my NUT. I cut out all the fruit and replaced it with a serving of meat a day and an egg. I figure my last 3 days I will cut out the meat and eggs and just have my shakes, cottage cheese, milk and veggies. Im allowed yogurt and SF Jello and popsicles but I don't like any of those foods. I do have broth occasionally that I froze the last time I made a beef roast. I have most of that frozen in small containers for post op when I will be on liquids for 2 weeks.

I was only required to do the pre-op diet for seven days. It was an all liquid diet for that timeframe. It wasn't nearly as a bad as I'd thought it would be. I didn't have any problems sticking to it and it was effective. I lost 13 pounds in those seven days.

I lost 10 pounds on my 14 day pre op diet. I thought I'd lose more, but more importantly- my surgeon said my liver was so small and perfect for surgery so the diet did so much in that aspect.

So far I've lost 5kg in just under two weeks and surgery is on Tuesday.
Two Meal Replacement drinks a day, 300g vegetables for salad. 200g for boiling.
68g carbs a day - high Protein.< br>
Unlimited Jelly, SF juice and milk.

I had a similar diet, but only for one week and I lost 7 pounds.

I lost 17 pounds on my pre-op diet. 20 total. I was just sleeved this past Tuesday. But keep in mind, not everyone is going to have the same pre-op diet. I had to do 4 Protein Shakes a day and drank a LOT of Water. Drinking water is the key.

Surgery: 04/11/17

SW:257
CW: 237
GW: 150