Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Telling Friends and Family about surgery

Did you tell all of your friends and family that you were having the surgery or not? Not sure what to do! My husband knows and other than that I haven't told anyone.

I told my dad, aunt and best friend. That's it. Really no one's business. I told the ones I'm close to so they could support me throughout my journey.

I told my husband and son since they live with me. I told my mom after the surgery was over because she would have tried to talk me out of it. Not because she wouldn't support me but because she would have worried.

That's it and they are sworn to secrecy:-) It's my business and I need zero negativity. And I mean zero.

It has been so much easier without the stress of having to explain myself. When they ask why I am eating so little, I smile and say I'm on another diet. Wish me luck!

Lol...I'm 25 pounds down and all the potential naysayers are really proud of me.

Take care.

I told my husband and son since they live with me. I told my mom after the surgery was over because she would have tried to talk me out of it. Not because she wouldn't support me but because she would have worried.

That's it and they are sworn to secrecy:-) It's my business and I need zero negativity. And I mean zero.

It has been so much easier without the stress of having to explain myself. When they ask why I am eating so little, I smile and say I'm on another diet. Wish me luck!

Lol...I'm 25 pounds down and all the potential naysayers are really proud of me.

Take care.

Take care.

I've told my best friend. That's it. I am scared to fail. If I do, I don't want anyone knowing about it.

We all know this road isn't going to be easy, but the perception is that I'm taking the easy way out. Cheating my way out of obesity. One day I may feel an obligation to stand up for having chosen this path, but right now, I just want to get through it.

2 hours ago, nitasjourney said:

Oh yea and people on my YouTube page lol

This made me smile...so in other words, EVERYONE. Lol

I told my dad, aunt and best friend. That's it. Really no one's business. I told the ones I'm close to so they could support me throughout my journey. Everyone else can make assumptions [emoji4]

Everyone around me knows. I've got support. If they don't support, they haven't said anything and I don't care really. In the beginning I only told my husband and my brother. But decided to just let them (family, close friends, coworkers (only have 3 of them)) all know.

My husband knows, and my brother. I thought my brother would talk me out of it, so I was pleasantly surprised when he was really okay about it. My husband just keeps asking me if I'm scared, or what I'll do about excess skin, so not overly supportive. I have a friend who had it done, she's the one that told me about it, and although I haven't yet told her I'm following in her footsteps, I know she'll be there for me when/if I decide to. I'd love to tell her, but if I do, then everyone else will know, and I'm just not ready to tell yet. Maybe I'll let people know afterwards, but for the moment, I'm happy to keep it to my self. I've got a couple of weeks to go now, and each day is going slower and slower. X

My rule is as follows: Tell people to Inform Them, NOT to Affirm You. This is about YOU more than it is about anyone else in your life (including your spouse/partner and/or children). Your decision is one of courage and conviction, not convenience. Tell the people who you believe should know and will be impacted by your immediate recovery phases (Surgery, Phase 1 & 2 of the post-op diet). Anyone else is a matter of personal comfort.

I'd posted earlier with this same question. I'm two days away from surgery now . My brother in law had vsg 16 months ago so it felt natural to tell my sibs. My husband and kids of course know. I did tell my BFF's early on for the purpose of accountability. But I have struggled with this. The coworker that covers for me is aware as we've seen each other thru the death of his spouse, we are like siblings. I have examined my conscience though and realize the only reason I fear telling people is that they'll know I am "fat". . My brother in law simply told people that he'd "decided to take his health back". Works for me.