Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

On 13/02/2017 at 1:03 AM, _Kate_ said:

Ask for a plan from your team. They should give you the lowdown on what you are to eat and when.

Do you have a date for surgery yet or are you just looking into it?

Kate

Am 2 months po

On 13/02/2017 at 1:04 AM, _Kate_ said:

Just saw you had posted elsewhere and that you are post op.

What did your surgeon/NUT say about bread and Pasta?

Kate

Ys am 2 months po

I didn't visit my dr. Since the operation. . I guess he will say not to eat anything ?

On 13/02/2017 at 4:21 AM, SuperDave said:

Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Keep up the great work!

Me too sleeved in Dec ?

Pasta and bread were tough to give up for me too. I worked hard several months pre surgery to do it so I hopefully won't have to deal with the craving now, I found great alternatives- spiralizer to make vegetable pasta, you can even google cauliflower Pizza Crust or bread. Hopefully my taste haven't changed since surgery (1week ago today! [emoji1])

I accepted a long time ago that Pasta, rice, and bread were off the table for me permanently. They are to me like booze is to an alcoholic. I just can't have them.

I'm grossed out now on how much Pasta I used to eat. It now doesn't really agree with me, either, thank God, but bread and rice are hard to ignore. It's also kind of hard to take bread out of the equation for portable/easy food (casseroles in freezer, sandwiches on the run, etc.)

If I avoid carbs, I don't crave them. If I plan out my day a bit and am not flying by the seat of my pants, eating the right ratio of carbs/protein/fat/calories happens. This is a big lifestyle change in many ways for me. I even changed my kids' schedules and my work schedule to, basically, accommodate my new eating. I know that's not realistic for most, but if I'm going to take care of my health and lose the weight, I have to make a wholesale change.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity, right? So . . . I'm trying to regain my sanity and change my bad habits to a good one.

If bread, Pasta, and rice are the collateral damage -- I'll take it. Doesn't mean I can never have them, but when I input the values into MFP, it drives home they are pretty much empty carbs and calories for me that I can't afford to spare. They trigger cravings, too, and one slice of bread becomes half a loaf with a stick of butter, a growing plate of stir fry with rice -- you get the idea.

Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!

I'm over 3 years out and have been at goal since 9 months out.

I know that I can have Pasta and bread, but have continued to avoid both completely. Carbs were always my biggest problem so I've decided to just avoid permanently.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, Sullie06 said:

I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op. I'm allowed Pasta though I haven't had any yet and toast. I have toast about twice a week. My nut said starches are important and everything in moderation. 2 weeks until I'm cleared for full diet.

I'd take this advice with a grain of salt. "Starches", or carbs, ARE important, but the kind of carb you consume is very important as well. I get plenty of carbs in my diet through dairy and vegetables...no rice or Pasta needed or wanted.

"Everything in moderation" is a cute phrase that lots of dietitians use, but it's a LOT harder in implementation. If it were possible for most of us, we woudn't be where we are, right?

Many WLS patients find that simple carbs are a very slippery slope, and that we can't eat "everything" because the "in moderation" part is so very difficult.

Just something to think about ;-)

On 2/12/2017 at 5:31 PM, Sullie06 said:

I'm 6 1/2 weeks post op. I'm allowed Pasta though I haven't had any yet and toast. I have toast about twice a week. My nut said starches are important and everything in moderation. 2 weeks until I'm cleared for full diet.

46 minutes ago, ShelterDog64 said:

I'd take this advice with a grain of salt. "Starches", or carbs, ARE important, but the kind of carb you consume is very important as well. I get plenty of carbs in my diet through dairy and vegetables...no rice or Pasta needed or wanted.

"Everything in moderation" is a cute phrase that lots of dietitians use, but it's a LOT harder in implementation. If it were possible for most of us, we woudn't be where we are, right?

Many WLS patients find that simple carbs are a very slippery slope, and that we can't eat "everything" because the "in moderation" part is so very difficult.

Im not sure if your talking to me, or about me but i was just answering based on my personal situation and what my NUT told me. For me, bread is not a trigger, so I do eat toast, rice and Pasta I chose to stay away from. I know my body and my addiction so I'm able to manage that but dismissing my advice because it doesn't match up with what "many WLS patients" indentify with isn't fair either. We are all different and I was just giving the OP my personal advice.

7 hours ago, sleevinpops said:

Pasta and bread were tough to give up for me too. I worked hard several months pre surgery to do it so I hopefully won't have to deal with the craving now, I found great alternatives- spiralizer to make vegetable Pasta, you can even google cauliflower pizza crust or bread. Hopefully my taste haven't changed since surgery (1week ago today! emoji1.png)

It didn't lool ?

1 hour ago, Sullie06 said:

Im not sure if your talking to me, or about me but i was just answering based on my personal situation and what my NUT told me. For me, bread is not a trigger, so I do eat toast, rice and Pasta I chose to stay away from. I know my body and my addiction so I'm able to manage that but dismissing my advice because it doesn't match up with what "many WLS patients" indentify with isn't fair either. We are all different and I was just giving the OP my personal advice.

I didn't 'dismiss' your advice, I was commenting on your NUTs advice...chill out. I was offering additional advice.

Eating gobs of Pasta and bread is what got me fat.

At 3 years out with a mellowed out metabolism and larger sleeve capacity, if I ate Pasta and bread at on a regualr basis, I would get fat. Again.

Besides, it causes a spike in our insulin levels and therefore cravings. This is hard enough. Why do that to yourself?

4 hours ago, ShelterDog64 said:

My daughter in law is a dietitian and states the same thing all the time, "everything in moderation". (Btw she is about 5ft 2 and weighs less than one of my legs, never stops eating and bakes cakes every weekend grrrr). Im sure they learn that saying on the first day of University and recite it every day, as a pledge until they leave. If it were that easy the diet industry wouldn't bring in billions of pounds/dollars/insert currency here, would they?

Good carbs are essential, bad carbs are not worth bothering with.

Im resisting saying anything else, we are all entitled to our opinion and long term success depends on those choices.