Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Therapy after sleeve

I was reading in another post how many emotions having this surgery caused for sleevers & it reveals hidden issues. Did anyone start therapy because of this surgery ? I've never gone to therapy but I wonder if it would be productive after surgery??

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am currently trying to find a psychologist. I sent info to one, no reply yet... I am limited to what my ins. will cover and finding someone who specializes in disordered eating.

I am currently trying to find a psychologist. I sent info to one, no reply yet... I am limited to what my ins. will cover and finding someone who specializes in disordered eating.

Did you discover these issues after surgery.? This is such an intense journey.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It was always part of my plan. I just didn't know how intense the head hunger would be. I have had no issues so far. I am already eating solids. I had 1/2 chicken breast for lunch today.

But from a lot of the experiences shared here, I thought the first month was going to be horrid. It wasn't, and I love junk food but I have stayed away.

I started therapy even before my surgery on 1/16/17 and had my first session back on 1/6/17. I Need IT!!!! I didn't get to 300 + pounds without having food/eating issues. And the issues don't get removed along with my stomach and gallbladder. I wasn't worried about the surgery or the initial weight loss but the long term/rest of my life keeping the weight off! To me that's the hard part for me. I want to encourage you to find a therapist and deal with the head/heart issues that lead you to needing bariatric surgery. Good luck and God bless you and keep you!

^^What @DivaT said. I haven't started therapy, but I want to. I'm -57 lbs and at a solid 14/16, which is my normal "set" point for gain/loss. I find I'm doing some self-sabatoge habits and am thinking there's some mental block that is afraid to get lower than my "normal" goal weight in this range. I really do want to see how far I can take this sleeve journey and truly be small and healthy (want to lower my body fat percentage quite a bit,) but don't want to shoot myself the foot with bad habits halfway through my journey.

@ Aspiring Evangelist We have eating/food issues or we wouldn't have needed to take this drastic step of have most of our stomachs removed. That in itself may cause some issues. Do I need to know why I eat? No that is a waste of my time. I know I eat way too much but finding other tools to develop good eating habits and how not to self sabotage myself is very important to me. How to cope with the massive changes surgery has forced upon me needs to be addressed. This forum is very helpful to me as well. I don't feel alone and as supportive as my husband and extended family is they just do really understand. This community does! I encourage you to reach out to therapy. I rely on God for guidance and strength in this endeavor as well and he has led me to therapy. Good luck to you and may God bless you and keep you!

It has been 11 months for me, sleeved 3/28/16 and on and off this site for a while now. Prior to surgery I had several bouts with eating disorders, I guess you can categorize me as EDNOS (for those of you who do not know, it means eating disorder not otherwise specified), but definitely more so on the bulimic side. Recently, I have been struggling again and it is definitely something that does not go away after surgery. You may think that just because you get sleeved, the food addiction will disappear, you will drop tons of weight and tadaa - you will be "fixed", but it really doesn't work like that. You are not on the road to recovery unless you work on your mind, as much as your body. I would definitely say therapy is beneficial, because I wouldn't want anyone to be where I am at right now! Good luck and take care.

I should but I haven't. I try to deal with all my emotional issues as they come up. That's been the way I deal with it. If I'm angry I just let myself be angry, mad, sad, depressed, etc. Growing up we weren't allowed negative emotions so I was trained to not express them and to leave the family until I could be happy. I am now learning to reverse that by allowing myself these negative emotions.

When I went to the pre-surgical psych appointment that is mandated I was SOOO nervous. The guy almost made me cry a few times pressing on sensitive topics. He told me he fully approves my surgeries and suggested I seek out therapy afterwards. lol! I haven't yet. It's too scary yet. I'll give myself more time...(lies lies lies. hahah!)