Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any regrets?

And the statistics are based on what? How many get sick right after surgery before leaving the hospital and or dies? Or how many end up back in the hospital dehydrated or Vitamin deficient? Exactly how much does statistic cover? From where I sit a lot of people suffers serious complications after surgery than statistics acknowledges.

This is major surgery!!!! And the bad thing about it is...... you never know when or if your body will respond negatively to what was done. Or if statistic will acknowledge it as being another problem with bariatric surgery and add the problem to their small percentage. Just another billion dollar discovery. Just wait.... lawyers will be advertising about those that lost love ones or experienced serious complications after having bariatric surgery.... you may have a claim, blah blah blah the same vicious cycle.

I had the gastric bypass in 2003. For the past two years I have been having digestive disorder. Despite multi modal treatments with an array of healthcare providers, my condition has gotten worse rather than improved. It is owing to the malabsorptive component of the gastric bypass. I would suggest people explore the long term effects of malabsorption (obviously not a consideration with the sleeve). I know of people who have lost their teeth and hair, too.

In hindsight, I really don't know why the medical community did not foresee the long term effects of NOT absorbing 20% or more of the vital nutrients your body needs.

My Bariatric Life
Publisher of
www.MyBariatricLife.org online bariatric magazine

Edited by My Bariatric Life
signature

Unfortunately, I already did it and I'm angry about it and feel so stupid! God has been good to me through it all. He has revealed things to me concerning my health before I had to suffer long term complications. My concerns is that I continue to have a ear to hear Him for the rest of my life. My life depends on it!

Hi My bariatric Life

Please believe the sleeve has its issues also, even unto death! I'm going to make this extremely short. Just a brief response to the last part of your statement.

Money Talks Extremely Loud!

@savyourdvine1 here's the thing, yea its a damn money making machine. They took 80% of your stomach and were paid to do so. You can hate it! You can regret the he'll out of it. But you need to live with the fact that you made the decision to enter that operating room. You walked in. So you and only you will live with the consequences!

So be mad, trust in God but own up to your decisions and live thru this shit!

Clc9.... Nope not afraid..... you're not even close. Ignorance is bliss. But then that's how I got here to talk to you.

I didn't say you were afraid, I said you're fearmongering. Spreading fear.

Don't believe in the naysayers. MOST of us here have gone through it, and are very successful. Bypass may have its long term issues, that's why I stayed away from it, but sleeve is very safe. Of course you feel regret after the surgery until you get back to normal, but that's with everything in life your house, your car, your this and that. Buyers remorse will always kick in.

Its more the reward you get out of it, how people accept it, and the reward is HUGE.

I had my one year post op gastric bypass appointment today! My labs were great, my blood pressure was fantastic ( no more meds for that) I've lost 122 lbs and feel fantastic! The only regret I have is that I didn't do it sooner instead of at 48 yrs old! [emoji12][emoji106]

I'm sure there are those that love their decision to do the sleeve. However, their are those that don't agree with your views on things. My thing is... if I had known about the good the bad and the sooo ugly... I would have never done it! So you see my response isn't to those who are excited with all the glory like yourself, but those who need to know... all that glitters isn't gold. In fact the glitter is soooo loud it drowns out those that are suffering and dying. I'm blessed not to be amongst those that are suffering, however, a voice still need to be heard, so people will know what they're walking into. I choose to be that voice!