Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any regrets?

Me! I was hoping for the best but I made a mistake.

This surgery may sound simple. But it's drastic and the only irreversible one. Even the gastric bypass can be reversed if your life is at risk.

There's so much we don't know. I don't know how our aging process will be impacted...what if we need a heavy use of NSAIDs or face stomach cancer?? That's just me and something I wish I did. It's all too late. I can see how irational to think I will be healthy by taking away 80% of my vital organ.

Regaing is real! This is not permanent. Isnt so scary that regain happens to most ppl! I lost most of my stomach and I can still regain? That can only mean that our stomachs are not the problem! Think about other reversible procedures where you have restriction and can still learn the same healthy food habits we should learn anyway

Anne, you sound miserable, but you didn't say what went wrong.

Although you can't have your original stomach back, it can sometimes be possible to convert to a bypass (if that would help your problem, good for GERD many times).

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

There are plenty of complications stories on this board. It is important to read them to know what can happen. But, it is also good to look at the statistics to see how OFTEN those complications happen. Message boards may not be a representative sample of the entire population

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using BariatricPal mobile app

I had a very rough start! I had VSG on December 14, 2016. After surgery I got dehydrated twice. Dehydration is no joke! I thought I was drinking Water every second of the day, but it wasn't enough! For one I couldn't stand the taste of water and tried flavors, tea, everything! I had to go to the hospital once for dehydration!

Then about 3 weeks in I had kidney stones. Maybe VSG related, maybe not. Regardless, when they did a CT scan for the stones they found a blot clot in my liver! Again, maybe VSG related, but maybe not. Probably though! I had to stay in the hospital for a week and have to be on blood thinners for 6 months!

It was then I regretted surgery! However, I am feeling GREAT now! I have lost 53 pounds, I can eat and drink a lot easier and am finally getting all my fluids and Protein in!

My regret is gone as I keep feeling more and more energized! Today I went to the ballet and didn't feel smooshed in my seat at all! I could even cross my legs! That's awesome to me! I didn't feel sorry for the person sitting next to me at all!

I had Sleeve Sept 27th 16, not once have I regretted the decision. I'm 5 kilo ( about 12 or so pounds) away from goal, off all medications I was on for BP and Diabetes, heart rate down to normal rate. I feel like I've increased my life expectancy by years and years. Had no problems at all. 55 years old [emoji4]

I didn't regret it at all. I always figured with my family history I had a higher chance of dying or becoming disabled from heart disease, diabetes, heart attack, or high blood pressure (all things that have affected about 90% of the adults in my family). On top of it I have PCOS which really increases my odds. So bottom line looking at the statistics, my health history and my family history the odds were in my favor to have the surgery. I am 60 lbs down, almost 3 months post-op and 65 more to go. Mentally I was eating healthy but I needed this tool to turn off that gherlin which seem to had been stuck in the on position. I was never a foodie. I just ate large portions. So mental hunger is not an issue with me but seems to be with some people and the reason for regret when their surgery was uneventful.

My regrets.....
Not knowing how things would turn out. To many things can go wrong day of surgery, wks, months, and even years after the surgery. I feel like I jumped on the latest weightloss fad to fill somebody's pocket. When I decided to do the sleeve, my focus was on how to stay healthy after surgery. Of course that search led me to one success story after another. However, as I started struggling with getting my liquids in (after surgery my stomach took over) Protein, Vitamins and Water. I started looking for help on the web because I didn't want to dehydrate, become Vitamin deficient or get a leak. My team advice was "you must do what my stomach was rejecting in order to heal properly. So my search on the web suddenly changed. I needed answers to stay alive! And for the first time I find one horror story after another. Too late not reversible! Now my faith in God has moved to a whole different level. I know He won't fail me..... Been through too many storms in life and He was always there to bring me through. However, if I had of known what I know today I would have directed my faith in another area for weight loss, for truly this is a trying of my faith that worketh patients, for the rest of my life!

Sent from my SM-J700P using BariatricPal mobile app

No Regrets! Why on earth would you want to reverse it? If you could have lost weight another way, you would have done it. I don't know what's going on with this board tonight but complications during surgery are rare and complications 'years' after are rarer than that.

Never ever regretted it.

Not for one second.

18 hours ago, savyourdvine1 said:

My regrets.....
Not knowing how things would turn out. To many things can go wrong day of surgery, wks, months, and even years after the surgery. I feel like I jumped on the latest weightloss fad to fill somebody's pocket. When I decided to do the sleeve, my focus was on how to stay healthy after surgery. Of course that search led me to one success story after another. However, as I started struggling with getting my liquids in (after surgery my stomach took over) Protein, Vitamins and Water. I started looking for help on the web because I didn't want to dehydrate, become Vitamin deficient or get a leak. My team advice was "you must do what my stomach was rejecting in order to heal properly. So my search on the web suddenly changed. I needed answers to stay alive! And for the first time I find one horror story after another. Too late not reversible! Now my faith in God has moved to a whole different level. I know He won't fail me..... Been through too many storms in life and He was always there to bring me through. However, if I had of known what I know today I would have directed my faith in another area for weight loss, for truly this is a trying of my faith that worketh patients, for the rest of my life!

Sent from my SM-J700P using BariatricPal mobile app

Do you feel you didn't research it enough before deciding on the surgery?

Thank you all for your responses! I got my approval last week and it's all I ever wanted but now I'm getting cold feet! Normal I'm sure [emoji3] stuffs getting real

Congrats! Yes very normal. On surgery day it becomes so real but you have to know your WHY and remind yourself of it then and even after until you start achieving various desired results. All the best!

I'm trying to decide what to do myself...my surgery don't be till August due to 6 month wait period my insurance requires. Trying to make an informed decision so there's no regret. On low carb high Protein diet now...it will be interesting to see how much I can lose on my own...still not a 100% sure of wanting surgery.