Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Zero Weight Regain 2017

What makes it so easy to gain weight even after bariatric surgery? Let’s commit to zero weight regain in 2017. You can put these good habits into action right away!

Zero Weight Regain 2017

What are your long-term weight loss goals? Likely you have a positive, upbeat vision of a thin and healthy you. Bariatric surgery might be an option you are considering. Or you may have already undergone one of these weight loss procedures.

Given your dreams and all the hard work you are going through to achieve them, would it be a shock to hear: Many studies show that in the five-years following surgery, patients often gain back most or more of the weight that they had lost.

What makes it so easy to gain weight even after bariatric surgery Unfortunately, any bariatric surgery fails in the long-term when not married to a maintenance plan.

Let’s commit to zero weight regain in 2017. Are you with me? Who’s all in? Then let’s get started with some required reading. The following are good habits you can put into action right away!

Eat Healthy

The ball is down, Times Square is back to business as usual, and January 1st is bloated with stroke of midnight promises. As we close on January, the month of the year when the most traditional date for personal improvement offers itself up, it’s a good time to check the progress you are making on your resolutions. Among those promises made is the pledge to get fit by eating healthy. If you are among those who share this intention, here are 10 healthy eating resolutions to get you started!

Read, “10 Healthy Eating Resolutions.”

Build a Support Network

Patients voice concerns about the difficulty of establishing a bariatric support network. And they struggle to find the balance needed to address their personal recovery needs in the post-weight loss surgery world. Such concerns are well-founded and not unusual. But many bariatric patients meet that challenge and successfully build a viable, multi-dimensional bariatric support network. There is no reason why any person who has had weight loss surgery cannot construct a reliable and useful post-bariatric support network.

Read,  How to Build a Bariatric Support Network.”

STOP Stress Eating

Knowing what we need to do can be quickly overturned by what we want to do. Stress demands relief. Harmful and unhealthy choices are often exercised to relieve stress because they are familiar. Emotional eating can provide that relief, but it is a short-lived solution that can have the side effects of overweight or obesity. And if you have had bariatric surgery, you are setting yourself up to regain weight that you have lost.

Read, “What to Do about Emotional Eating!

Step-up to Permanent Weight Loss

So, you’ve had bariatric surgery and think never again will food be a problem. Right? Well, its not quite that simple. Bariatric surgery is a powerful tool that helps you lose weight, but it is not a cure-all. Permanent weight loss requires more than a bariatric surgery. Permanent weight loss requires that we forever change the way we feel, think, and act around food. Follow our steps to turn “bad habits” in “healthy habits.” They’ll set you on a straight course toward permanent weight loss.

Read, “10 Easy Steps to Permanent Weight Loss!”

Be Committed!

Stay on your path to weight loss. It takes dedication. So be dedicated. It takes perseverance. So persevere. The surgery is not a means to an end. It is only the beginning.

Living larger than ever,

My Bariatric Life

http://www.mybariatriclife.org

Wow what an amazing post I'm two weeks until sleeved. And I truly want to change the mental for life long success thank you so much

Sent from my KFTBWI using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for your amazingly kind words! I am glad that the article helped you on this momentous journey you are embarking upon. Congratulations and wishing you the highest and the best!!!

Great post. 4 months post op and I need this kind of support. So, thank you!

Sent from my LGLS996 using the BariatricPal App

You are very welcome. Much luck to you on this amazing journey. It was the best decision that I have ever made for my health. I am certain it saved my life.

Love this! I am almost two years out and want to ensure that I keep up my healthy habits. I've seen other bariatric patients that are 3, 4, 5, and even 10 years out that have not gained, but I've also known some that have gained. My husband and I are committed to our healthy lifestyle. We also have found a love of running. We try to enter a race at least once a month to keep us motivated to training. We also both do weight training. It is great to have someone to encourage you.

Love this! I am almost two years out and want to ensure that I keep up my healthy habits. I've seen other bariatric patients that are 3, 4, 5, and even 10 years out that have not gained, but I've also known some that have gained. My husband and I are committed to our healthy lifestyle. We also have found a love of running. We try to enter a race at least once a month to keep us motivated to training. We also both do weight training. It is great to have someone to encourage you.

How wonderful that you and your husband have been able to incorporate your healthy lifestyle into the marriage and find activities like running and weight training that bring you closer together. You are setting yourselves up for long term success! Keep up the great work! I had my gastric bypass in 2003. Permanent weight loss is a reality.

I'm pre-op and hear/read the stories of patients gaining weight and always have the nagging question on my mind "what if I regain?" But then I am reminded that I must change my relationship with my choices of food, along with the quantity and quality of it. I just went to a family member's birthday party last night. Everyone was eating and I didn't have one bite. Why? I wasn't hungry...and I actually chose to listen to my body. (I tend to mindlessly eat) Party food did not dictate my social fun. I still had fun! I danced away, even with a hurt shoulder. With all that said, it's a long term, forever commitment to follow and I know I can do it. Thank you for your post and inspiration!

I'm pre-op and hear/read the stories of patients gaining weight and always have the nagging question on my mind "what if I regain?" But then I am reminded that I must change my relationship with my choices of food, along with the quantity and quality of it. I just went to a family member's birthday party last night. Everyone was eating and I didn't have one bite. Why? I wasn't hungry...and I actually chose to listen to my body. (I tend to mindlessly eat) Party food did not dictate my social fun. I still had fun! I danced away, even with a hurt shoulder. With all that said, it's a long term, forever commitment to follow and I know I can do it. Thank you for your post and inspiration!

On 2/26/2017 at 8:31 PM, Newme17 said:

Thank you for your inspiring words and for showing us how to "get it done" in the real world. When we realize how truly powerful we are in directing our thoughts and emotions to serve us rather than harm us, then we truly are in the driver's seat on our path to permanent weight loss. GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Thank you for your inspiring words and for showing us how to "get it done" in the real world. When we realize how truly powerful we are in directing our thoughts and emotions to serve us rather than harm us, then we truly are in the driver's seat on our path to permanent weight loss. GOOD FOR YOU!!!