Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on cheat days regarding the post op diet. I'm currently 3 weeks out and have been following the surgeons instructions almost to the letter. But I am at a bit of a stall with weight loss, and was thinking of adding in 1 cheat day a week to get my system going again.

A couple things before comments start flying about this: when I say one cheat day, I mean strictly on saturdays and then back to nothing. It Protein the other 6 days a week.

Also, I don't mean cheating with sugary and fatty junk like ice cream and potato chips, but rather with stuff like a chicken quesadilla with low fat cheese, or maybe a cream based Soup from Panera, rather than broth. Just adding a bit of carb in one day a week but honestly nothing crazy. Also considering skipping the gym on that one day because I've been going every day of the week thus far. Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hey I am newly sleeved myself (Jan 11th) and I feel your pain about the weight coming off "slow". I've lost 11 pounds since surgery and have been holding steady for about 1.5 weeks. As far as the "cheat" day I would say careful. If you were 3 months post op I would say no-harm, no-foul, but 3 weeks..... I know it gets hard because we want more, but try to be steadfast and hold on. It will get better :)

Are you still in your post-op food stages? If so, then definitely don't "cheat". That's not a diet, it's a prescription and you need to treat it as such to ensure safe healing and recovery.

If you are out of your food stages and back on solid foods, then it's up to you. I would caution that anything high carb is going to kick your body out of ketosis, if you are currently in ketosis. That means you will likely experience headaches and fatigue every time you transition back into ketosis after a cheat day.

I was wondering what people's thoughts are on cheat days regarding the post op diet. I'm currently 3 weeks out and have been following the surgeons instructions almost to the letter. But I am at a bit of a stall with weight loss, and was thinking of adding in 1 cheat day a week to get my system going again.

A couple things before comments start flying about this: when I say one cheat day, I mean strictly on saturdays and then back to nothing. It Protein the other 6 days a week.

Also, I don't mean cheating with sugary and fatty junk like ice cream and potato chips, but rather with stuff like a chicken quesadilla with low fat cheese, or maybe a cream based Soup from Panera, rather than broth. Just adding a bit of carb in one day a week but honestly nothing crazy. Also considering skipping the gym on that one day because I've been going every day of the week thus far. Let me know what you guys think!

Like someone else said, it's a prescription. Your body is recovering, your stomach was cut up and sewn together, it needs time to heal. I reccomend you leave "cheat" days out of it, it'll only make things worse. Once you are on regular food, you can decide how much you care about being healthy.

Sent from my LG-K330 using the BariatricPal App

solid food in the healing sleeve or pouch could kill you. Follow the plan!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

I concur with @@JamieLogical and @ronniethegreat. That is not a good idea at the current stage of your journey.

Good luck!

Cheat days once you've gotten past 3 months is fine but before then you need to remember that your stomach has just be violently abused. lol! You are only 3 weeks out, chicken would be a nightmare for you, tortillas would be a nightmare for you. A cheesy cream Soup would probably be the closest to OK.

sugar free pudding, that's a cheat item right now for you. Some mashed potatoes with butter is a cheat right now that's ok. And don't think of it as cheating, be very conscious of it. You are doing this to lose more weight so you want it to be smart about it. Also increase your Water and just walk more.

Finally, you are only 3 weeks out. You don't need to speed up your weight loss. What's happened is your body has gone through a trauma and needs time to heal. You are retaining Water and Fluid in your abdomen in your bodies natural healing process, your metabolism is in shock, your stomach is in shock.

It takes a few more weeks before you will find an equilibrium in your body. Don't rush it. If you follow all the guidelines and allow your body the time it needs to heal (And Protein. Protein protein protein) than the lbs will melt away at a speed that feels slow sometimes but is miraculously fast in retrospect.

So that explains the headache today. 100 calories of a chip appears to do more harm than good.

So that explains the headache today. 100 calories of a chip appears to do more harm than good.

Definitely a good idea to read up on ketosis. I think people who have never been on Atkins or South Beach don't understand how it differs from a straight-up low calorie diet. That transition into ketosis is no fun! And the water-weight gain from storing glycogen again is going to upset people who put a lot of stock into what their scale says.

I totally get the desire for a cheat day. For me it's a slippery slope straight to my old habits, though, and I'm going to try to stay on the plan as long as I possibly can. Good luck to you!

I was sleeved Jan 9th and I too am in a bit of a stall, but I really don't mind. I think for my body, muscles, skin and over all energy levels the stall is a good thing. I don't want to loose to rapidly. I feel good and I could tell the few weeks before I was light headed and tired. Not so much anymore. The weight will come off!

Definitely a good idea to read up on ketosis. I think people who have never been on Atkins or South Beach don't understand how it differs from a straight-up low calorie diet. That transition into ketosis is no fun! And the water-weight gain from storing glycogen again is going to upset people who put a lot of stock into what their scale says.

Thank you. The Water retention is actually a noticeable feeling. The result of just one day of substituting just a small amount of calories. No weight gain thankfully. Have this forum to thank.