Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Freaking out...just a little. Help.

Hi everybody's. I was sleeved 7 weeks ago. Starting weight was 239. After surgery I went up 10 pounds from air, Fluid etc. lost 28 pounds by 3 weeks and stalled for 2 weeks where I hovered at the same 2 pounds. Then I started to lose again and this past Saturday I was down to 207. Since then I have been creeping up and today I am 210.5. . I had been drinking a small Decaf iced coffee with skim milk for past week so I cut that out 2 days ago. I am eating 3 meals and 2 Snacks Usually stay between 800 and 1100 calories a day and have 70-90 gems of Protein. I did go out to dinner on Sunday and ordered a chicken dish with a balsamic dressing. I only ate a very small part ( obviously) but then ate it 2 more times for different meals. Won't do that again. Been exercising but not enough it seems.

So with all that... any advice, tips, words of wisdom?? I understand A stall but weight gain at this early stage but weight gain?? Very discouraging. I'm trying to look at behaviors and use this as a learning experience but I'm feeling down. I didn't go through all this to fail. Help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Can you post a couple examples of your daily meals? Are you drinking enough liquids and (sorry, personal) are you going #2 regularly?

Could be pre menstrual too.

Hi everybody's. I was sleeved 7 weeks ago. Starting weight was 239. After surgery I went up 10 pounds from air, Fluid etc. lost 28 pounds by 3 weeks and stalled for 2 weeks where I hovered at the same 2 pounds. Then I started to lose again and this past Saturday I was down to 207. Since then I have been creeping up and today I am 210.5. . I had been drinking a small Decaf iced coffee with skim milk for past week so I cut that out 2 days ago. I am eating 3 meals and 2 Snacks Usually stay between 800 and 1100 calories a day and have 70-90 gems of Protein. I did go out to dinner on Sunday and ordered a chicken dish with a balsamic dressing. I only ate a very small part ( obviously) but then ate it 2 more times for different meals. Won't do that again. Been exercising but not enough it seems.

So with all that... any advice, tips, words of wisdom?? I understand A stall but weight gain at this early stage but weight gain?? Very discouraging. I'm trying to look at behaviors and use this as a learning experience but I'm feeling down. I didn't go through all this to fail. Help!!!

Not sure if you are low carbing it or not, but skim milk is a no no that early out with my team. What are your meal plans? Are you exercising? Are you getting all your fluids in? Are you eating on plan? I went to my monthly support group and our NUT said..if you're doing everything right and still stalling or even gaining..cut out all dairy. I've had a stall again so that's what I'm trying. We are having a meeting in a couple of months about intermittent fasting which I am also doing after reading a couple of books about the huge benefits of fasting.

Edited by Lucky2Lose

1100 calories seems like a lot for 7 weeks post-op. I'll be 4 months post-op on Saturday, and I don't hit 1100 calories most days. (I am usually between 1000-1100, but rarely 1100 or above.) At 7 weeks, I was in the 800-900 calorie range. (I didn't hit 1000 calories for a few weeks after that.) 800-1100 is a pretty big range. How often are you at the high level of that range?

How many carbs are you eating every day? How are you doing with your Water goals?

These are questions that I would ask myself if I were you. They might paint a picture of what is going on. Stalls and fluctuations are going to happen -- it is just a part of the process. But we have to do everything we can do to set ourselves up for success.

I promise you that you aren't gaining fat. If your weight is going up on 1100 calories a day, it is Water retention. It takes 3500 EXCESS calories to gain one pound of fat. At 1100 calories a day, you likely have a DEFICIT of close to 1000 calories a day, so you are definitely NOT gaining actual fat.

It doesn't sound to me like you are doing anything wrong. Weight fluctuates from day-to-day. If it is bothering you, then just stay of the scale and focus on your plan. If you stick to your plan, you WILL lose weight. Make sure you get your Protein in, drink your Water, take your Vitamins, and get up and move.

For Breakfast I might have 4 ounces chicken salad, a scrambled egg with 2 slices turkey bacon or 2 low fat bomber cheeses. lunch might be a boca burger with a carrot and some cucumber or 4 ounces of turkey breast and a slice of Swiss with mustard. dinner might be 4 ounces salmon or cod with veggies. Or chicken breast the only carbs I'm eating are yogurt on occasion or skim milk in iced coffee. I will also have s Protein bar or shake occasionally for a snack.

1100 sounds like a lot to me. I'm five months out and just went up last month from 800 to 900 calories a day. I'm not getting to the gym as much as I'd like, but I'm down 75 pounds overall and 50 since surgery. Up your fluids - Water, specifically and get rid of the Snacks if you can.

I wish I could get 1100 calories in at 16 months out :( Seems a lot at 7 weeks.

Do you keep a log of everything you eat and drink?

Kate

For Breakfast I might have 4 ounces chicken salad, a scrambled egg with 2 slices turkey bacon or 2 low fat bomber cheeses. lunch might be a boca burger with a carrot and some cucumber or 4 ounces of turkey breast and a slice of Swiss with mustard. dinner might be 4 ounces salmon or cod with veggies. Or chicken breast the only carbs I'm eating are yogurt on occasion or skim milk in iced coffee. I will also have s Protein bar or shake occasionally for a snack.

Are you constipated at all? I know I fight that all the time that can cause stall or gain issues as well?

You've lost a lot of weight so far! 28.5 pounds. That's great! I'm almost six weeks post-op and have lost 19.8 on about 800 calories a day and daily exercising. I say keep up the good work and give yourself some credit!

I disagree with those who are saying 1100 calories is a lot. Especially if you are working out at all. I pushed hard to get over 800 calories post-op so I could do anything more intense than "brisk walking". I then pushed to get up to 1100 calories so I could start running. And I would estimate that I was around 1400-1500 calories a day through most of my weight loss phase.

If you aren't exercising at all, then 1100 calories is probably the upper limit of where you want to be, but if you are working out, you need to basically be "eating back" any of the extra calories you are burning through exercise, otherwise your metabolism is going to tank.

I disagree with those who are saying 1100 calories is a lot. Especially if you are working out at all. I pushed hard to get over 800 calories post-op so I could do anything more intense than "brisk walking". I then pushed to get up to 1100 calories so I could start running. And I would estimate that I was around 1400-1500 calories a day through most of my weight loss phase.

If you aren't exercising at all, then 1100 calories is probably the upper limit of where you want to be, but if you are working out, you need to basically be "eating back" any of the extra calories you are burning through exercise, otherwise your metabolism is going to tank.

I agree with you..especially if you start adding in healthy fats..that can add up those calories quite easily..the more I work out, the more I eat to give me the energy for high impact.

Edited by Lucky2Lose

I agree with you, but at 7 weeks post-op, how much working out can you do? I know that everyone's plan is different, but most people (at least from what I have seen) aren't cleared for that kind of activity at 7 weeks.