Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dizzy Spells When Standing

Oh, wanted to mention, low blood pressure can also cause your vision to go dim or black upon standing, and your hearing can go briefly too.

Low blood sugar will cause all kinds of bad feelings, but you'll feel better upon eating whereas blood pressure won't be fixed necessarily.

I have a glucose monitor and blood pressure cuff in my home, so have easy access to the answers. I recommend everyone has at least a blood pressure cuff...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using the BariatricPal App

Not sure if it's surgery related but feels like vertigo. Room spins eyes feel like they are darting back and forth then nausea hits. Today it subsided in a couple of minutes. 6 weeks post sleeve was on bp meds but stopped today checked at home and it was 127/101 so a little high. Is it the surgery or my inner ear?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello everyone. :)

I'm looking for advice/ideas on this issue and also wondering if anyone else has dealt with it after surgery.

I'm 10 weeks post-op. About a week and 1/2 ago, I started getting dizzy spells, usually upon standing. I could be sitting and stand up (slowly) or I could be lying down and then stand up when it happens. It has also happened a couple of times when I have already been standing up for awhile. Like earlier today, I was doing dishes in the kitchen and all of a sudden I got very dizzy and had to go sit down.

It happens everyday, at least a couple times a day, sometimes more.

I am currently getting about 900 calories a day. I eat 3 main meals, and add in a couple of Snacks at late morning and late afternoon. Keeping my carbs below 40 grams a day. I get in about 100 grams of Protein a day and I drink about 80 ounces of liquids a day.

I had an idea that this might have to do with blood pressure. I have never had high blood pressure. I believe the last time I saw my surgeon at 6 weeks post op, my blood pressure was 122/75.

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

Hello everyone. :)

I'm looking for advice/ideas on this issue and also wondering if anyone else has dealt with it after surgery.

I'm 10 weeks post-op. About a week and 1/2 ago, I started getting dizzy spells, usually upon standing. I could be sitting and stand up (slowly) or I could be lying down and then stand up when it happens. It has also happened a couple of times when I have already been standing up for awhile. Like earlier today, I was doing dishes in the kitchen and all of a sudden I got very dizzy and had to go sit down.

It happens everyday, at least a couple times a day, sometimes more.

I am currently getting about 900 calories a day. I eat 3 main meals, and add in a couple of Snacks at late morning and late afternoon. Keeping my carbs below 40 grams a day. I get in about 100 grams of Protein a day and I drink about 80 ounces of liquids a day.

I had an idea that this might have to do with blood pressure. I have never had high blood pressure. I believe the last time I saw my surgeon at 6 weeks post op, my blood pressure was 122/75.

Thank you in advance for any help on this

This happened to me as well I happened to have a blood pressure machine and my pressure was very low each time I had these spells.

Great thing to talk with the doctor about!

I've had a similar problem and my doctor told me to eat more salt. (My blood pressure was pretty low and have a history of low blood pressure.)

I've added a regular v8 which has a good amount of salt but also have salt packets in my purse. When I'm feeling low or woozy, I sit down, take out one and eat some salt. Usually I'm feeling much better in a few minutes. It is odd to do in the beginning though!

Good luck!

That's so smart! My BP is on the low end now. I'm going to remember that one! I love V8.

Update:

Went to the doctor this past week and my blood pressure was on the low side. Keeping track of blood pressure daily, a few times a day. Still continuing to get several dizzy spells a day upon standing and in addition, headaches and just a general fatigue and very tired all day.

Doctor told me to monitor things. He thinks that because of all the weight loss my body is adjusting. He thinks it will be beneficial to start exercising again (I had stopped because of the dizziness). So I will monitor things over the next couple of weeks, and if it doesn't get better, he wants me to check back in with him.