Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

That my first week over, got on the scales this morning & ive lost 16pound, I'm delighted. Starting to feel hungry now :-( is this normal after a week, the liquids aren't to bad, just getting a bit tired of Soups now, quick question how much shud I be eating at this stage, I'm only managing Water, yogurts n Soup, would love a different texture im living for the mushy stage haha!!!

if my memory serves me well i think i was eating the same as you hun,so just hold out for a wee bit longer lol,but yes you start to feel hungry again as your band is empty on your first fill you will get i think its 3ml,then the second you get about 2.5 and i personally think anythink after these two fills your band really starts to work but good luck hun xx

That my first week over, got on the scales this morning & ive lost 16pound, I'm delighted. Starting to feel hungry now :-( is this normal after a week, the liquids aren't to bad, just getting a bit tired of Soups now, quick question how much shud I be eating at this stage, I'm only managing Water, yogurts n Soup, would love a different texture im living for the mushy stage haha!!!

sounds like u are doing really well and yes u start to get hungry now till the fills get going ... mushy stage was anything mashed with a fork for me so i would stick with soft Proteins like fish etc, side plate of food should be enough and Desserts like jelly and greek yoghurt are good, u can add skimmed milk to 0% total yoghurt for a liquid i add a teaspoon of maple Syrup to my greek yoghurt .. love it :)

Hi everyone, new and old!

I haven't been on here for a while, so here goes!

I have had several problems through out my band life, I did get down to my target weight after 18 months and I went back to Chris for a Tummy Tuck. However, I have had several blockages which meant that I have had to have my band loosened in A&E, which was not great due to discomfort and the expense of refilling! But at the time -what a relief! On one occassion I thought I was having a heart attack!

Anyway back to now, a few months ago I travelled to London to have an xray and a consultation with Chris, he said that I had a....I think he called it a bulge, above my band. I was shocked, and as always felt under pressure not to take up too much of Chris's time, he spoke in his ussual manner...very quickly and abruptly! I asked what this was, he said it was the same as a slipped band, however that's not what he called it. He told me to only drink fluids to try to allow it to disperse.

CAN ANYONE ENLIGHTEN ME? Or has anyone else had this?

Takecare of yourselves

Fatpants :)

Sounds like u have a 'dilated' pouch, it means that the band hasnt slipped it is still in the same place it was when placed but your pouch has dilated outwards so it appears to bulge over the top of the band, struggling to find the right descriptive words for you :)

http://drsimpson.net/fills/Lap-band-surgery-support-science/New-lap-bands-unbuckle/New-lap-bands-unbuckle.html

u might find the pictures here useful regarding the process if how a band actually ends up slipping :)

hope that helps .. good luck with it !

Dear Crazy,

That's what he called it a pouch!

Thank you for sending me the link, that's what my xray looked like. Chris didn't really explain anything to me, except just to drink. Have you had this? Do you think it can go away on it's own?

I'm not sure what I should be doing!

Fatpants

Well if you read that link i sent u i think u will find that u have to go back on liquids for 2 weeks and cross your fingers as it stands a chance of righting itself. I havent had a band slip or dilate but i like to arm myself with info for those 'just in case' moments :)

'removing the Fluid from the Lap-band and placing the patient on a full liquid diet for one to two weeks can resolve this issue 80% of the time. However, sometimes it recurs'

this is what i read u need to do and from what u say is Dr. Chris method too so i would be very dilligent and go back to full liquids for at least a week if not 2 weeks and see if that resolves things for you

good luck :).

Thanks for the reassurance. What boggles my mind though is Chris gave me a fill that day, instead of telling me the band needs defilled to give the pouch a chance to reactify itself!

I am quite cross, I do not think we are properly educated in the care of living with the band, that speel he gives us after the op and at consultations isn't enough, how are we supposed to remember everything he says. I also think that they should explain why we can't eat certain thinks, for example bananas? I asked him on my last visit and he explained that things with high protien take longer to digest and therefore must sit in the stomach longer, ok that makes sense. What about the other things...rice swells, meat is too chunky? Celery and citrus..perhaps too acidy? Who knows, but I would rather understand why then it is easier to handle.

Educating our selves on the forum seems to be how most of us have gotten through the process, but I don't think this is enough. I did mention it to one of the secretaries that we need a booklet with questions and answers on it so as that we have more of an understanding.

Fatpants

Well i never had dr chris do my band i just hang out here as the UK people are here mainly :) had mine done at Nuffield Hopsital which are soo awesome ..

i agree with you tho the information for all lapbanders not just us is actually a game of hit and miss in relation to how that information is shared

and so many surgeons disagree with what is right and wrong u have to sort of become your own expert, which is what i did, i know what works for me and what doesnt .. i weigh myself every day , the same as i used to monitor my sugar when i was diabetic every day and initially 2 hours after every meal, to me i would rather know i have put a lb on over night than wait till a week or a month and get a shock .. not weighing ourselves is what got us fat in the first place lol .. so that to me is an example of how i do what I need to do to make this successful .. others will manage their weight loss differently.

Celery can be stringy and hard to digest so can stick unless u slice it wafer thin so its translucent .. u can eat it then, bananas not sure why u were told no on them but they are very hard to digest and are full of carbs and sugar so i always avoided them anyways, citrus fruit like oranges are full of sugar fructose raises your blood sugars and can put on weight unless u are very very careful with the calories and carbs being included in your daily allowances .. I know some just eat smaller portions of normal type food and do fine, i was never lucky like that i had monitor everything and exercise like crazy.

Might be worth u speaking to Frederik about getting the unfills to maybe allow your pouch to go back to not being dilated .. i would certainly stick to liquids while u are sorting this out tho :)

Dear Crazy,

Thank you for your support and kindness, don't you just love being slim! I know I couldn't live without my band, as each time I had a blockage and had to have an unfill it was like opening the flood gates, slowly but surely bad habits resurfaced, and the weight went straight back on....but in different place than before!!!

takecare

Fatpants

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while - hope you're all well!

After nearly 7 months of feeling no restriction 9and having fills up to 7ml), I am now happy to report that I FINALLY feel something...LOL.

Although I didn't feel much restriction after my last fill in March (to 7ml), when it came to my 'time of the month' (sorry fellas), my band suddenly cinched in to the point I could only manage liquids! After a week it relaxed a small bit - but I'm still nice and restricted and am happy to say that at last, it's starting to work for me.

My only concern now is that if I go for another fill, what'll happen next time I'm due? Will it end up getting so tight that liquids will even be a problem? I tried emailing Fred but he never got back to me. Anyone else experience similar?

Wishing you all well on your journeys!

R

hi big daddy i always call the office in london a lot too, I am surprised there not sick of hearing my voice lol.I do think its great that even through chris is abroad there is a office in the UK you can call for advice. Glad your doing so well is great to have a man on here! it seems more ladies are worried about there weight than men,

natalie I keep doing like you ding really well and then I fall back into bad habits, but over time the weight as still slowly come off I don't think I could do this with out the support i get from people on here and my partner. I think its paobably alright to eat things like chocolate every now and again as long as you keep yourself in check like you are doing and stop again.

how you getting on happy flower :) its good to have you as a friend on here because we went to Brussels at the same time, this is a great way of staying in contact! hope you not been eating too much chocolate. For me I feel things are going well. The weight has slowly come off and for once in my lift what has come off is staying off. I agree the aftercare with fredrick and chris is very good just having to go to london is easy for me and being able to call the UK europe surgery number whenever your worried is great too.

when do you think you will go to london again, I wondered if you fancied meeting up in between just for a chat about things? I am only working part time at the moment so can fit in around you.

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while - hope you're all well!

After nearly 7 months of feeling no restriction 9and having fills up to 7ml), I am now happy to report that I FINALLY feel something...LOL.

Although I didn't feel much restriction after my last fill in March (to 7ml), when it came to my 'time of the month' (sorry fellas), my band suddenly cinched in to the point I could only manage liquids! After a week it relaxed a small bit - but I'm still nice and restricted and am happy to say that at last, it's starting to work for me.

My only concern now is that if I go for another fill, what'll happen next time I'm due? Will it end up getting so tight that liquids will even be a problem? I tried emailing Fred but he never got back to me. Anyone else experience similar?

Wishing you all well on your journeys!

R

mine was quite full last time i had it done and then it just eased off. Maybe you don't need any more fills at the moment? maybe this is about right for you? You don't really need it too tight just so that you can only drink fluids you just need some resistriction so you can't over eat. Thats what i found anyway it just slowly come off and stayed off over time. I not really found its increased its tightness during my period but somedays it does sort of feel like its tighter than others. Maybe it just depends on how well you feel i am not sure really.I just call 02081445254 when i want to know anything and they get back to me about what the surgeon thinks.

how you getting on happy flower :) its good to have you as a friend on here because we went to Brussels at the same time, this is a great way of staying in contact! hope you not been eating too much chocolate. For me I feel things are going well. The weight has slowly come off and for once in my lift what has come off is staying off. I agree the aftercare with fredrick and chris is very good just having to go to london is easy for me and being able to call the UK europe surgery number whenever your worried is great too.

when do you think you will go to london again, I wondered if you fancied meeting up in between just for a chat about things? I am only working part time at the moment so can fit in around you.

hi yes lets meet up I get incontact with sharon and jane as well and see if they want to come. It be good for all us banders to meet up and talk about how we are getting on even if its not fill time.

I agree with you about just calling the london office if your not sure of anything thats what there there for! its a lot quicker than waiting for an email.

how about we meet next week thursday and then if anyone wants a fill they can go at the same time?I don't think i need one myself at the moment things are about right for me.

hi all i had 7ml in my band and could barley eat i went and got 1.5ml out and how wonderful does an omlette taste lol i dont mind if i put a bit of weight on i just want to eat a bit,because i can always go back and get a fill but not for a few months yet food glorious food lol