Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hey guys just joined!

I am thinking of getting the surgery with Dr. Chris and having read through the comments here it seems the price is no reason to be suspicious!

Quick question... my BMI is 30.5 so it would be on the lower end of the scale to be getting the surgery.

However I have struggled with my weight my whole life and am getting nowhere using traditional methods... and this has been going on for years and years. I work in an environment where there are snack kitchens everywhere and free lunches that are really delicious, and as my willpower is appalling I am really finding it difficult and have been consistently gaining wait over a few years now.

My self confidence is pretty low at the moment however having read around it does seem unusual to get the surgery at this BMI.

I mean I am "obese" by BMI standards anyway and in order to reach my ideal weight I would probably need to lose about 4 stone.

Do you think it's too drastic a step to get at my BMI? My willpower is a major issue and as diets tend not to work for me I can just see myself continuing to gain without it.

Any advice appreciated!

:)

Hi there,

I was banded in January this year and have currently lost just over 5 stone , since being banded (6 in total).

The only advice I can offer is that the band, whilst marvellous (i honestly don't believe I could have done it without it) is only an aid to weight loss. There are days when I long to be able to eat food with ease and without worry of getting 'stuck'. It also seems that 'bad' foods, ice cream, chocolate, other 'high calorie, low satisfaction' foods are often easier to eat than good, heathy foods....for instance I can no longer eat salad, I find it difficult to eat Pasta unless cooked to death. I still have an overwhelming mental desire to eat. That said I absolutely do not regret having the op, quite the opposite. It has allowed me to regain my life. Not only do I look better, mentally I'm in the best place I've been for years despite personal dilemmas that would have crushed me a year ago.

What I have come to realise through this journey of an initial huge weight gain (8stone in 4 years!) before having the op, is that I have always been mentally 'fat' even at 5'7" and a size 12. But like a self fulfilling prophecy, I had to become truly morbidly obese in order to appreciate that my weight problem was in my head not my body!

Only you have the power to change your life, do it....with or without the band.

Xxx

Hey guys, thanks for all that so far.

I am living in Ireland at the moment (potentially moving to the UK within the next year or so).

Just wondering does anyone have experience of Dr. De Bruyne's aftercare in Ireland or the UK, for fills and appointments etc?

Thanks!

Thanks Hazard.

I am currently in the very early stages of looking into this and am also keen to give diet and exercise one last try but they do say the definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results! I think this is definitely a last resort for me, and also a preventative measure - to make sure I stop gaining.

I agree it does fundamentally come down to the need for a change in behaviour but I find it difficult to imagine I'll have the discipline to see it through when I haven't in the past.

If I do decide to get the surgery it'll be a long way off - also I think it would be tough for me to get support from friends and family as they may see the surgery as a very extreme measure.

Time will tell - thanks for the input!

Any other thoughts?

There are clinics apartly that do the fills

Hey guys, thanks for all that so far.

I am living in Ireland at the moment (potentially moving to the UK within the next year or so).

Just wondering does anyone have experience of Dr. De Bruyne's aftercare in Ireland or the UK, for fills and appointments etc?

Thanks!

From what i read from the UK people who went to Belgium the fills are done in varying centres around the uk, not expensive at all and there is a telephone help line based in London i think, i know its a long thread but if u go back to the older posts on this thread i remember many people having the same questions u have and people posting answers to them. I dont think anyone has had problems getting fills in the Uk, Ireland i am not so sure about, but the help line numbers would be able to give u that info.

Good luck with your surgery Dr. Chris really has nothing but great reviews on here, so it would be safe to assume he comes highly recommended :)

Hello everybody, just wanted to see how everybody getting on?

Really good thanks! I've lost 2 stone 11 lbs since my op on oct 9th 2012. Really happy with how my fills have gone. Very happy! How are you getting on?

I cant believe its been so long since I came here.

I have gained loads, due to having the defills and also because of these damn hormone pills I have to take for the next 4 years to keep the cancer at bay.

Its just a losing battle. I cant eat much, about half a mug full at one sitting, but still the weight drags on. I had a fill back up to 7mls 2 weeks ago and have lost 3 kilos. I lost that the first week, and it hasnt shifted since.

My port hurt so much having the fill, its still very tender now. Chris and Freddyboy both say its because it has twisted, Typical for me. But it has put me off getting any more ins or outs for some time.

Hope everyones good and losing weight, speak soon. xxxx

I forgot to mention, for people that dont know me, that my band surgery was not done by Chris in Belgium, it was done in Southampton at the Bupa.

hello everyone, hope everyone is well. its been a while since I have been on here.its been over a year since my last fill. have booked my wedding for March 2014 so the motivation is back for me to lose weight again!! love reading everyone stories of success! !

hello everyone, hope everyone is well. its been a while since I have been on here.its been over a year since my last fill. have booked my wedding for March 2014 so the motivation is back for me to lose weight again!! love reading everyone stories of success! !

Hi Mand,

I am interested to know why you are under pressure to lose weight again after being banded?

Has the banding failed to keep the weight off?

Are you able to get around it?

Haz

i had surgery with Dr Chris last year in march, he did a Tummy Tuck for me and did a really good job for me. said he had gone further round my side thatn he would have done normally although he knows how much i have pushed myself to loose the 14 stone i lost so he tried to match my effort he said.

He had some bad reviews regarding an incident where he had banded someone and he was critrsized for it cos their weight wasnt high enough to warrent it but he is very good at what he does.

Hello has anyone got any up to date info on this? I'm 19 years old and I'm booking in with dr de buryne next month. Xx

Hi everybody, it looks like nobody come on this blog anymore.

Three of my friends got bands with that doctor they all lost some weight it was a successful op and no complications but they all have had to pay another five grand to get the bands removed they had many health complications and never got to goal it wasn't the doc but the band it doesn't work