Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all!

Getting close to surgery and throughout this process I've only told my kids (8 & 10) that the reason for my many appts is that the doctor is helping me lose weight. I have no clue what I'm going to say to them about my hospital stay/recovery. The 8 year old would accept a simple "the doctor had to fix something in my belly" explanation, but the 10 year old is much more likely to want details. I think I'm going to just stick with the simple explanation and tell them it's nothing to worry about, but I don't want to scare them either way. I've already drastically changed my eating habits so that shouldn't be anything new to them.

For those with kids - what did you tell them?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I have a 6 year old and 10 year old. From the mo.ent my appointments and classes started I told them the truth. In full detail. (Not saying that what you're doing is wrong).. they were worried at first, but they had lots of time to get used to it and ask all the questions they wanted. By the time surgery came around they were more than prepared.

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I told my 21 and 16 yr old the truth. But my 11 yr old, I told her there's something in my stomach that has to be removed so I can be healthy, because she already knew I had tummy issues prior to surgery (I had polyps on the portion of the stomach being removed. Not cancer thankfully).

I have health problems such as diabetes, RA, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. My 11 and 7 year old know about these problems, so I told them I am having surgery on my stomach to help me lose weight and that will help make my health problems better.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using the BariatricPal App

I have a 9 year old and a 12 year old. I was 100% honest with them and answered all of their questions honestly (Just what I did...not judging). It has made for a closer relationship with my kids because they understand that I am taking steps to be more present and involved in their lives. They are very aware of why we don't do things like go for pizza, as often. my 12 year old struggles with her weight as I did at her age. It has allowed us to have deeper conversations about making good choices now to avoid the struggle later.

Oh, I haven't lied! They haven't asked beyond "why do you have so many appts?" - and I say "my doctor is helping me lose weight so I can be healthier". I just haven't gone into detail on what I'm leading up to yet ;)

Thanks for the replies! :)

I have a 4 and 6 year old. The 4 year old was 3 when I started my 6 month diet. She likes to sit on my lap and lay on my "belly pillow". I told her when I started the diet that in a little while my belly pillow was going to get a lot smaller. She asked me why and I told her it was too big so I needed to make it smaller. She looked at me and said "That's OK daddy, I love you just the way you are." How freaking cute is that??

I didn't mention it again until the day before my surgery. That evening I told both girls that they weren't going to see me the next day because I had to go to the doctor's and I'd be there overnight. They asked why and I told them that my tummy was too big and they needed to take out part of it. They said OK and went back to watching TV. After the surgery my wife and I told them several times that they had to be very gentle with me and not to touch my stomach since it would hurt for a while. My 2nd day out I think, my 6 year old went to give me a hug but went too fast and slammed her head right into my main incision and it was pretty bad, she got very upset and now she's very cautious around it. They ask me every day how daddy's tummy is and they give me gently hugs and kiss my stomach. I told them pretty soon it would be all better.

@@SarahSleeve I hope I didn't come off as implying that you were not being truthful. All of this is very personal and you know the best way to handle this for you and your family.

I have been thinking about this with my surgery date getting closer. I have a 10 and 5 year old. My son told me that dad told him today. Lol, well I guess I don't have to worry anymore. Dad did a good job. I think the strange part will be mom disappearing for 5 days.

@@SarahSleeve I hope I didn't come off as implying that you were not being truthful. All of this is very personal and you know the best way to handle this for you and your family.

Not at all :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using the BariatricPal App

I have a 10 and 11 year old and I kind of went the opposite way. I told them that I was having some surgery first and then when they asked why I told them it would help me lose weight. I then proceeded to tell them things I was going to be able to do with them (amusement parks, Water parks, etc) once I lost weight. Once they found out that they were excited for me and of course themselves.

I think if you tell them how it can affect them positive ways they will support and encourage you.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I have a 6 & 12 year old I am not saying anything. The day of surgery my husband will let them know I had a minor surgery and have to stay a night in the hospital. I grew up with a mom who had many surgeries it would give me extreme anxiety. I couldn't focus in school that day it was terrible. I just don't want them to feel unneeded stress. This is just my opinion for my own reasons I know others share it's a personal choice I think of what you're comfortable with for your family

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I was very open with my 9 year old son about my surgery. I discussed the diet stages with him and have included him in the process where I can...he likes to taste test my Protein shakes for example. This is just my experience but I know as a child I always knew about the things my parents didn't discuss with me, I would go as far as listening at their bedroom door, listening in on phone calls, etc to get the information. I had more anxiety when they tried to keep a secret.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App