Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone regret surgery

"Regrets are a waste of time. They're the past crippling you in the present"

--Frederico Fellini

@@queenbee88

Just a point: I absolutely looked and was unhealthy before surgery. Again, it's about healthy whatever that looks like for each of us.

No regrets if you choose surgery or on your own. This is not an easy decision.

I had this surgery for weight MAINTENANCE, not weight LOSS. I have been a pro at losing weight my entire adult life. I joke that if weight loss was an Olympic sport, I'd be a multi-gold medal winner. Keeping the weight off is a whole other story. I SUCK at it. Badly! So when I finally decided to have WLS, it was because I wanted to keep the weight off for good and it has!

I was 2 years post-op in September. I have been at goal and maintaining for over 15 months. During that 15 months I have moved twice, gotten divorced, started dating again, and had just ALL SORTS of stress in my life. But when any one of those things might have had me gaining 25 or 50 pounds in the past, I haven't gained any, thanks to my sleeve. And on top of that, I am more physically fit than I have ever been. I ran a full marathon in September!

Definitely have ZERO regrets about my sleeve. I had the same "buyer's remorse" in the first few weeks that everyone goes through, but it soon became clear to me that it was one of the best choices I ever made!

Don't mind me I'm really just here to read the comments because I had the same feeling years ago.... And now here I am 5 years older! And I got the ball rolling at the end of November. So yes Diet and Exercise does work..... Of course but you have to stay consistent regardless if you have the surgery or not. That's what I constantly tell myself, so this is a life change but it will better assist me in Portion Control. I hope you make the Best choice for your self : ) Good Luck

19 months out. First 6 months were awesome. Then the next 3 months I started drinking and stopped paying attention to what I was doing. Didn't lose any weight and got chewed out by my team. Started focusing again and hit goal 3 months later, losing 90% or so of excess weight. I've maintained for 7 months now. I weigh 2x a week and if I swing more than 3 pounds either way I course correct for a few days. I don't count or weigh, and I do drink liquor, but I still focus on Protein first which leaves little room for junk. Example, had an 8oz filet on Saturday. Ate it first. Then 2 small bites of baked potato and 2 small bites of bread and I was done. My surgeon says my stomach is at its normal size going forward unless I consistently over eat, which I don't do. If this is my steady state and I remain vigilant I have the tool I need for long term success, which as a couple other posts said is why I also did it in the first place. I freaked out early on that I wasn't losing enough and all that, but looking back, except for when I screwed up, it melted off.

I think with me sometime when I look back at all the complications I had to deal with post surgery that puts me in a mind frame of regretting having the surgery done. But over all, no I wouldn't change what I've done. My health and outlook on life are more positive now than they ever have been in my entire adult life. I for the most part feel better and can do things that I couldn't even imagine I would ever be able to do just a few years ago. If I could go back I would still have the surgery for sure, but I would better prepare myself for the changes I was about to embark on and maybe removed some toxic people out of my life months instead of weeks before I had the surgery.

I had my surgery on 12/12/16. The first week was rough. On Christmas Day at my daughter's house for dinner I ate a couple bites of ham and knew I could'nt tolerant so I had brought egg drop Soup which has been one of my favorite things. I also brought sugar free pudding to eat when everyone was having dessert. It's now been almost a month since surgery and I able to eat scrambled eggs with cheese, tuna with light mayo. 3-4 ounces of roasted chicken, white Parmesan fish and of course I'm still eating the egg drop Soup, delicious! I loss 14 pounds before surgery and 13 pounds after surgery. Also taking my Multivitamins, B12, Calcium with Vitamin D and Biotin.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My regret is not getting it done sooner.

Same.

I think with anything this huge & life-changing there is always going to be some sort of regret. I got sleeved 2 weeks ago today (I am 36), I have lost approximately 22 lbs, which is fantastic. However, there were and are days that I felt regret. I wondered if I made the right choice, I did not have a waiting period, I made the decision and less than 2 weeks later I was having surgery. If you aren't 100% sure, I would say don't do it. If you are confident you can change your life without the surgery, then why change your body so much. You have to remember, this is a serious surgery, and it can have its complications. My regret comes from, I know I could have lost the weight without the surgery, however, I am not sure I could have maintained it. I cannot tell you how many diets I have been on since I was a kid, more than I can count. Yes I miss food and eating all of the yummy things, however, I am changing my relationship that I have with food and that is something that I can't 100% say I would have been able to without having the surgery. So to answer your question, there are days that I still have regret, but the bigger picture of me being healthier and being able to spend time with my kids/husband and not being worn out, takes that regret away. I am sure you will make the decision on what is best for you, because you truly know in your heart your strengths. Good luck! <3

@@seagrin8899 I am confident your regrets will diminish over time. The early days and weeks are rough. There is a lot to get through. But once you settle into your new "normal" after you've moved through the food stages and get a handle on your restriction and what foods you can handle, it becomes a lot easier. The pounds continue to drop, you start to actually reap some of the benefits of the weight loss (new clothes, fitting into amusement park rides, being able to do more activities) and the regret completely disappears.

I have posted in the past about severely regretting this surgery. I am now 5 months out and def am so happy I did it!

I am not controlled by food anymore!!! What a dream! As far as going out and enjoying food-- I get a huge thrill everytime I am out and don't stuff my face like I use too but eat a little amount and am satisfied!!!' I mean I don't sit there and think- " i sure Do wish I could finish off that bowl of queso" - it's more Like- oh my gosh I had three bites and am so satisfied and don't want more!!!!!!! It's what I always wanted to be able to do for myself--- say no to food ---a lot. It's so empowering to me to really not be that interested.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I have to agree with the poster who said his only regret was not getting the surgery sooner. I feel it's the best thing I have ever done for myself. Before surgery, dieted on and off my entire life. Lost some, gained more back, lost some again, repeat. For the first time in my life, food is really not an issue for me. Can I eat the same way I did before surgery? No. But I don't want to. I no longer crave carbs or sweets. I also cancelled my surgery several times over the years after reading horror stories about others who took the plunge, but finally went ahead with it two years ago. It's rough in the beginning, but totally worth it.