Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Decision->Switching from getting the Sleeve to RNY and Scared

Hi All,

I've been a member of this site since March 2016, but have spent most of last year doing research on all 3 surgeries: sleeve, bypass, and lap-band. I'm in the home stretch of this journey. I have only 1 more NUT visit to go.

• I knew I didn't want the lap-band because I didn't want the foreign object and corrosion.
  • I wanted the sleeve because the procedure seemed not as bad to use a bougie, run the stapler and "over-sew" the .
  • I didn't think of doing the bypass because it seemed really complicated, scary and and mortality rate seemed high to me. I only said this because since I've made the decision to do WLS,two people have told me that they knew someone who didn't make it through the RNY surgery. And, this freaked me out.

Earlier this year, I went to 3 surgeons. The first surgeon suggested I have the RNY because I have mild GERD and I eat sweets, the second surgeon suggests I have the Sleeve and he's great (this is the surgeon I've been going to for the past 5 months.) he says to have the sleeve because my BMI isn't that high, and the third surgeon recommends the RNY because the dumping will keep me in check and I have mild GERD.

Saying all of this leads me to the reason for switching surgeons. I'm deciding to switch surgeons for 2 reasons: I'll need $250 in order to submit my paperwork to the insurance. I knew this in the beginning, but my money is getting tight, so I won't be able to do it, maybe I can wait until tax time. The second reason is because I do not like how the front office operates. They are hardly available to answer my calls, return emails, etc. And, if they can't answer the phone's now, they probably won't answer them when it comes time for the surgery. I've put up with this for so long, I'm just tired of it now...I prefer to have the Sleeve surgery, but 2 doctor's recommended the RNY. The first surgeon is just out of the question. Too much is going on at that facility.

I'm so confused. I need to know everything will be ok. Sorry to ramble...I'm nervous about switching from the sleeve to the RNY.

I'm in GA: I'm going with Dr. Hart at John's Creek. He suggests RNY. I'm HT: 5'4, HW: 240, CW: 215, age: 37

Hi All,

I've been a member of this site since March 2016, but have spent most of last year doing research on all 3 surgeries: sleeve, bypass, and lap-band. I'm in the home stretch of this journey. I have only 1 more NUT visit to go.

• I knew I didn't want the lap-band because I didn't want the foreign object and corrosion.
  • I wanted the sleeve because the procedure seemed not as bad to use a bougie, run the stapler and "over-sew" the .
  • I didn't think of doing the bypass because it seemed really complicated, scary and and mortality rate seemed high to me. I only said this because since I've made the decision to do WLS,two people have told me that they knew someone who didn't make it through the RNY surgery. And, this freaked me out.

Earlier this year, I went to 3 surgeons. The first surgeon suggested I have the RNY because I have mild GERD and I eat sweets, the second surgeon suggests I have the Sleeve and he's great (this is the surgeon I've been going to for the past 5 months.) he says to have the sleeve because my BMI isn't that high, and the third surgeon recommends the RNY because the dumping will keep me in check and I have mild GERD.

Saying all of this leads me to the reason for switching surgeons. I'm deciding to switch surgeons for 2 reasons: I'll need $250 in order to submit my paperwork to the insurance. I knew this in the beginning, but my money is getting tight, so I won't be able to do it, maybe I can wait until tax time. The second reason is because I do not like how the front office operates. They are hardly available to answer my calls, return emails, etc. And, if they can't answer the phone's now, they probably won't answer them when it comes time for the surgery. I've put up with this for so long, I'm just tired of it now...I prefer to have the Sleeve surgery, but 2 doctor's recommended the RNY. The first surgeon is just out of the question. Too much is going on at that facility.

I'm so confused. I need to know everything will be ok. Sorry to ramble...I'm nervous about switching from the sleeve to the RNY.

I'm in GA: I'm going with Dr. Hart at John's Creek. He suggests RNY. I'm HT: 5'4, HW: 240, CW: 215, age: 37

Hello lovely!

We have *almost* the same stats, I'm 32, 5'3", and 220 lbs

I had the lapband, went down to 127, it flipped, almost killed me, and had it taken out. Gained all the weight back.

I was between the sleeve and the RNY, my surgeon recommended the sleeve also for the relatively lower BMI and because the band *worked* for me (both restrictive and not malabsorptive)

However, when I told him I USED the band to throw up, and that I only lost weight because of that not because of *restriction* and feeling full, belt the bypass is better for me, so the pouch won't dilate.

Also, the bypass is better for gerd and I used to wake up in the middle of the night choking with the band because of GERD.

I'm going now for the mini bypass (one anastomosis bypass) in Jan.

Hope this helps?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

This is great for me to read as I'm in 2 minds too & I use to always bring up food with the band especially at night time so much so me teeth started to suffer. Could I ask what GERD is please?

This is now making me wonder if bypass is the way forward x

This is great for me to read as I'm in 2 minds too & I use to always bring up food with the band especially at night time so much so me teeth started to suffer. Could I ask what GERD is please?

This is now making me wonder if bypass is the way forward x

GERD is gastroesophageal reflux disease.

Obviously everybody is different, and I know myselfC if I have the sleeve, it might work at first but if I don't CHANGE my habits and way of eating/snacking I will gain the weight back, and need to have it revised.

I don't want another surgery

I mis-used the band, and I acknowledge that. I am willing to change forever ;)

I was leaning towards sleeve. Sadly, in Canada I don't have the option so if I want it covered I have to go RNY. The more research I do about obesity, and why it is so hard to loose weight and keep it off it comes down to gut flora and microbs. This is one of the reasons RNY is more successful for large weight loss.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

Hi All,

Hello lovely!

We have *almost* the same stats, I'm 32, 5'3", and 220 lbs

I had the lapband, went down to 127, it flipped, almost killed me, and had it taken out. Gained all the weight back.

I was between the sleeve and the RNY, my surgeon recommended the sleeve also for the relatively lower BMI and because the band *worked* for me (both restrictive and not malabsorptive)

However, when I told him I USED the band to throw up, and that I only lost weight because of that not because of *restriction* and feeling full, belt the bypass is better for me, so the pouch won't dilate.

Also, the bypass is better for gerd and I used to wake up in the middle of the night choking with the band because of GERD.

I'm going now for the mini bypass (one anastomosis bypass) in Jan.

Hope this helps?

Cool, I didn't know the mini bypass is still available. My surgery date will probably be in February. I hope to know something within the next week or two.

Our stats were very similar, like you also considered the sleeve, and my dr explained how much better the RNY bypass would be for me. I trusted him and had the bypass 7 weeks ago, and am very thankful I did. On my first visit I asked him what the mortality rates were for this surgery, he said "your risks of dying are higher with a hysterectomy than a bypass".

I also had some well meaning friends who claimed to "know" someone who had died, funny they couldn't give me a name for me to verify it. So my point is sometimes friends mean well, but don't really want you to have surgery and sometimes they are just simply jealous. I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I had the sleeve in 2011.In 2015 I started having terrible acid reflux. Nothing helped.I had a a revision to bypass done Nov.22,2016.I'm glad I did.No more reflux,plus I protected my esophagus.If I didn't have the revision done might of eventually been eating from a feeding tube.

I learned that 30 to 40 % of people who have acid reflux before end up with a revision.

I too was scared to have bypass done the first time..Now I'm 5 weeks out and doing good.

Our stats were very similar, like you also considered the sleeve, and my dr explained how much better the RNY bypass would be for me. I trusted him and had the bypass 7 weeks ago, and am very thankful I did. On my first visit I asked him what the mortality rates were for this surgery, he said "your risks of dying are higher with a hysterectomy than a bypass".

I also had some well meaning friends who claimed to "know" someone who had died, funny they couldn't give me a name for me to verify it. So my point is sometimes friends mean well, but don't really want you to have surgery and sometimes they are just simply jealous. I wish you the very best of luck with whatever you decide.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Thank you so much for your response. Did you watch any of the RNY procedures online? I probably shouldn't have. Watching those videos I'd probably intimidating me as well.

I need to pray about this even more. You also have given me another perspective on it too.

@@GmaDiana, I take it that you didn't have reflux before the sleeve?