Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was trolling Facebook this morning and so many people were questioning their decision... It got me to thinking about my life and how I got to where I am.

I am 50. Yes 50! This is gonna be my best year ever! I am the mom of two preteen boys! I am a happily married, Christian, stay at home mom. I trust my husband and his decisions and opinions. And he loves me no matter what. But it hasn't always been that way.

I was in a 17 year abusive marriage, I got married at 18 and it was downhill starting on our honeymoon... I spent the years running to food to eat away the pain. I would yoyo, lose, gain more, and ended up depressed and angry. My highest weight was about 325, maybe more, I was too ashamed to weigh myself...

So, when I turned 50 I decided to take care of myslef for the first time ever. This Jan or Feb I am getting sleeved! My husband, of 13 years now, is totally supportive, He wants me to stay by his side as we grow older together! My kids are worried, but my 12 year old said "Mom I just want you to be healthy and stay with me".

So for the first time in my life, I'm saying yes to me. I'm saying yes to life. I'm saying yes to taking control and taking care!

No one is taking my control away or talking me out of this. I want to do this for me

I''m Vlogging on YouTube under 50 year old me. I want to be held accountable. I want to surround myself with like minded people <3 I am so thanful to have found this site and to have found others who struggle with life the same way I do, and who have made the decision to fight for ourselves for the first time ever <3

Wow! You are truly a life inspiration. ALL things are possible through Christ who strengthens me!!!! You are rockin' your new life for 13 years and saying.. "Yes, Lord" it is my turn! Will keep you in my prayers!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You are headed down the right road. I'm 55. Had surgery in August. HW 271.5 (4/16) SW 246.9 CW 205.1. I'm about 50 pounds from goal and I should easily be there by the time my oldest graduates from high school in June and my youngest graduates from 8th grade the week prior.

I was tired of being tired. I was tired of being in pain from carrying the extra weight. I was depressed because I looked like a freak. I didn't want to be the fat mom anymore. This was the best decision I ever made. I'm wearing clothes I haven't worn since before I was pregnant with my oldest.

I was scared before surgery and I'll be honest the first few weeks on liquid and purees are a challenge, but it was worth all of it.

YOU are making the best decision for YOURSELF!! I am 53. I had surgery Nov 1st. I started the post surgery diet a few months before my surgery, and restricted it even further 2 weeks before surgery. Since mid-September, I have now lost 51 lbs. HW: 242, SW: 215, CW: 191. I'm wearing size 12 pants today!!!! My joints don't hurt, I don't have labored breathing and sleep apnea is no longer an issue. Life is beautiful!!!

So for the first time in my life, I'm saying yes to me. I'm saying yes to life. I'm saying yes to taking control and taking care!

No one is taking my control away or talking me out of this. I want to do this for me

There's the kernel. Always remember.

Hello and welcome! I am 50 and a little over 10 months post op. Wish I'd done this 20 years ago, but at 50 I have no complaints. Best decision I made! Good luck, you will do great!

Never believe what you read on Facebook. Facebook brings out the attention wh0re in everyone.

"When all is said and done, usually more has been said than done. "

You Go Girl! I'm like you! I'm taking my life back! Me and God beat up breast cancer 3 years ago and me and God got out of a horrible marriage of 20 years! I am a beautiful 60 year old woman that has raised 5 children and have 3 beautiful grandsons! And I am doing this surgery for me ! So I can live a long and healthy life and get all the GUSTO that life has for me! I'm moving forward not backward! To God Be the Glory!

To God be the Glory for all he has done! siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87332]BariatricPal App[/url]

Wonderful OP, very inspiring... Congratulations on making your decision! I will save you a space on the loosers bench!!!

Kate :D

@@Diana_in_Philly Hi I was sleeved on Dec.27th 2016. I have maybe lost 6 pounds since surgery. To be honest I was hoping it would be more. I am feeling a little discouraged. Did it take a few weeks before you started to notice weight loss? I am starting to feel like I am the only one getting a sleeve surgery did not work on. Looking for encouragement and hoping you can help. Thanks for your post.

@Little_Lulu - remember that it will take your body at least 6-8 weeks to heal from the surgery - for the excess fluids and swelling to come down. Your body has been through a major trauma. Do you realize how much Water you are retaining now from the IV fluids yet? Do you know how much Water weighs? It will take some time. Be kind to yourself. Some days you will see changes on the scale, others you will see them with the tape. Right after surgery, my measurements went up due to Fluid retention and I was actually "bigger" than before surgery.

For what it's worth, I have steadily lost weight since my surgery on August 23. I am now down 70 pounds from my high weight in April 2016 and 45 pounds since surgery. I am 1 pound away from Onederland. I haven't been this thin since I was between child 1 and child 2 (15 years ago). Was I perfect over the holidays - no. Am I getting back on track now, yes.

But be kind to yourself and let your body heal. Drink what you can. Get in your Protein -- that is so important. Get in your fluids. Walk, stretch and move your body. And try to be patient. You didn't get to your high weight in two or three weeks - so its not going to disappear that fast. Please be patient with yourself. This is a journey -- it is a marathon not a sprint.

@@Diana_in_Philly Thank you for your post. It's funny how much I need to hear just be patient. It is hard to not see immediate results. I will keep trying to be patient and look forward to warm summer months when I will be excited to buy a new swimsuit. Thanks again