Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Small weight gain

Hi everyone. Up until this point (9 months post op) everytime I've had a weigh in (only weighing at a doctor's appointment, I've had weight loss. Tuesday I had a pcp appointment about 30 days after my last weigh in and I had gained 3 lbs. I know that the rest of the world thinks it is insignificant but as we all know, it is huge. I am still very vigilant about what I consume. I weigh just about everything I eat and if I can not, I usually only eat a couple of bite and fill very full. I haven't had fast food (maybe a few fries from a friend's meal) since before the surgery. I sometimes have candy but try very hard to make sure it is sugar free and low caloric.

Has anyone else experienced this and what can I do you reverse this and continue with weigh loss? Guaranteed, I had already hit my goal weight and just a couple of lbs of it right now but I can no loss this momentum.

Thanks everyone

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Because you aren't a daily weigher, you don't see the absolutely normal, natural fluctuations in weight that happen to everyone for various reasons.Let me give you the reasons I've seen my weight fluctuate not only in the past almost 2.5 years post op, but for most of my adult life:

Everytime I travel, I gain a couple of pounds. Water retention.

Hormone imbalances with Water retention.

Too much salt, so water retention

Constipation (I think you can figure out what your body is retaining ;) )

I am ALWAYS 2 pounds heavier in the evening.

I am ALWAYS a heavier weight on my doctors scale than my own. All scales are different, so I record my weight on ONE scale only.

When I've had a good workout or really start building muscle, I gain weight.

When I don't eat enough, my body goes into starvation mode and stores glycogen, I gain weight.

When I have too many clothes on from the last time I weighed, I weigh more.

Get the picture?

If you KNOW it's not because you're just eating too much or the wrong stuff, no worries. Chalk it up to one of those many, many reasons our bodies fluctuate in weight and keep doing what you're doing and it will correct itself in a couple of days.Really.

Because you aren't a daily weigher, you don't see the absolutely normal, natural fluctuations in weight that happen to everyone for various reasons.Let me give you the reasons I've seen my weight fluctuate not only in the past almost 2.5 years post op, but for most of my adult life:

Everytime I travel, I gain a couple of pounds. Water retention.

Hormone imbalances with Water retention.

Too much salt, so water retention

Constipation (I think you can figure out what your body is retaining ;) )

I am ALWAYS 2 pounds heavier in the evening.

I am ALWAYS a heavier weight on my doctors scale than my own. All scales are different, so I record my weight on ONE scale only.

When I've had a good workout or really start building muscle, I gain weight.

When I don't eat enough, my body goes into starvation mode and stores glycogen, I gain weight.

When I have too many clothes on from the last time I weighed, I weigh more.

Get the picture?

If you KNOW it's not because you're just eating too much or the wrong stuff, no worries. Chalk it up to one of those many, many reasons our bodies fluctuate in weight and keep doing what you're doing and it will correct itself in a couple of days.Really.

Thank you for the encouragement, it is greatly appreciated!

... had a pcp appointment about 30 days after my last weigh in and I had gained 3 lbs. ... the rest of the world thinks it is insignificant but as we all know, it is huge. I am still very vigilant about what I consume. I weigh just about everything I eat and if I can not, I usually only eat a couple of bite... haven't had fast food (maybe a few fries from a friend's meal) ... have candy but try very hard to make sure it is sugar free and low caloric.

...I can no loss this momentum.

You've reached you goal weight, which is fabulous. It's understandable that you think the three pounds are a huge change, but they really aren't. When there is apparent weight gain, there's a reason. There are also two possibilities that you haven't gained anything:

- You were on a different scale. Not all scales are the same.

- Your menstrual cycle might account for the gain. It doesn't necessarily happen each month.

If the regain is real, your own words suggest that you may no longer be as diligent with food-tracking as you think.

- Weighing "just about everything" is not the same as weighing everything. Have you not been measuring more often than you realize?

- Depending on what the food is, "only a couple of bites" can be a whole lot. It matters how you define "couple". It matters whether you're biting broiled chicken or fettuccine Alfredo. The frequency matters, too.

- There's a definite difference between "haven't had fast food" and "maybe a few french fries..." Those few fries can amount to a mountain over a short time.

- To "try very hard" to stick to sugar-free candy is more of the same vagueness.

Those extra bites here and there add up. They sneak up. While you're wanting to maintain your weight, it's just as important to keep exact records as it was to lose the weight from the beginning. It's fine to have some candy or fast food if you like, but whatever the amount, they should be included in your tracker.

You know all of this because you learned how to lose weight. Keeping it off is an ongoing project.

Try not to focus on weight fluctuations, as @@Babbs said, it changes daily. My scale said I was one pound heavier this morning than yesterday, which after an 800 calorie day with all Protein and Water goals met and an hour of walking is physically impossible. The variable: no bowel movement since yesterday's weigh-in. (this is why most people advise you not to weigh daily, it will drive you insane)

Try not to focus on weight fluctuations, as @@Babbs said, it changes daily. My scale said I was one pound heavier this morning than yesterday, which after an 800 calorie day with all Protein and Water goals met and an hour of walking is physically impossible. The variable: no bowel movement since yesterday's weigh-in. (this is why most people advise you not to weigh daily, it will drive you insane)

This is why I have chosen to not have a scale at home. The two last weigh ins have been on the same scale.

... had a pcp appointment about 30 days after my last weigh in and I had gained 3 lbs. ... the rest of the world thinks it is insignificant but as we all know, it is huge. I am still very vigilant about what I consume. I weigh just about everything I eat and if I can not, I usually only eat a couple of bite... haven't had fast food (maybe a few fries from a friend's meal) ... have candy but try very hard to make sure it is sugar free and low caloric.

...I can no loss this momentum.

You've reached you goal weight, which is fabulous. It's understandable that you think the three pounds are a huge change, but they really aren't. When there is apparent weight gain, there's a reason. There are also two possibilities that you haven't gained anything:

- You were on a different scale. Not all scales are the same.

- Your menstrual cycle might account for the gain. It doesn't necessarily happen each month.

If the regain is real, your own words suggest that you may no longer be as diligent with food-tracking as you think.

- Weighing "just about everything" is not the same as weighing everything. Have you not been measuring more often than you realize?

- Depending on what the food is, "only a couple of bites" can be a whole lot. It matters how you define "couple". It matters whether you're biting broiled chicken or fettuccine Alfredo. The frequency matters, too.

- There's a definite difference between "haven't had fast food" and "maybe a few french fries..." Those few fries can amount to a mountain over a short time.

- To "try very hard" to stick to sugar-free candy is more of the same vagueness.

Those extra bites here and there add up. They sneak up. While you're wanting to maintain your weight, it's just as important to keep exact records as it was to lose the weight from the beginning. It's fine to have some candy or fast food if you like, but whatever the amount, they should be included in your tracker.

You know all of this because you learned how to lose weight. Keeping it off is an ongoing project.

When it comes to my food, the only things I do not weigh are the items that I didn't forsee I was going to eat away from home. Everything I eat at home or pack for my lunches are weighed and tracked. Those items that I eat just a bite or two of are tracked as well.

I've had a couple of fries twice in over a year.

Weigh naked first thing in the morning in your own home. Throw the scale in front of a window and excite your neighborhood!

lol

The above is one of the many reasons why I don't live in town.

Weigh naked first thing in the morning in your own home. Throw the scale in front of a window and excite your neighborhood!

:o :o :o LOL

Hahaha love it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App