Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When everyone else is drinking

What do you like to drink when everyone else is drinking and you dont want to make it obvious your not?

I made something yesterday I call "fauxjitio". Its mint muddled with splenda, lime and Water. Its refreshing and dressed like a mojito in a highball glass I doubt anyone would notice.

HW 385 SW 359 CW 338 Sleeved 10/5/16

What do you like to drink when everyone else is drinking and you dont want to make it obvious your not?

I made something yesterday I call "fauxjitio". Its mint muddled with splenda, lime and Water. Its refreshing and dressed like a mojito in a highball glass I doubt anyone would notice.

That sounds good! It sounds better than the original Mojito! I'll definitely try that over the holidays :)

I come from a family who loves, loves loves wine. Central Coast California winos, we are! So, scaling back or not participating will be interesting.

Edited by The New Kel

I'm glad that it's okay for me to say "no, thanks" or "just Water please" and not take a ribbing from my friends.

We're not 17 anymore. I don't need to provide a reason why I'm not drinking.

Most of my friends and family dont drink. I figured that with the holidays coming people might like some ideas for events where they dont ness want to share their medical histories or keep answering the same questions, like company parties.

Sometimes I'd do Water w lime in a low ball glass so it looks like vodka soda. I like the cranberry juice idea too, anything pink is assumed to be a cape cod! Honest I don't think it's that people care if you drink alcohol per say, it's as long as you have any drink you're ok....culturally, we feel like bad hostesses if someone doesn't have food or a drink bc we associate it w comfort. We want people around us comfortable especially when hosting a party. I'm likely skipping most parties this hear anyway, as I was just sleeved 11/4, but this is a great topic.

I drink bottled Water. No one cares. Sometimes I drink coffee. People seriously don't care what I drink, I am the most fun and outgoing anyway. I don't need liquor to turn up.

Nowadays I will usually have a glass of wine in social settings because I want one and enjoy it. If I don't want one, I order Water with extra lime. Prior to being allowed alcohol on my plan, Water with lime.

Maybe I am old but I don't feel the need to make an excuse for what I am eating or drinking or what I am not. Your non alcoholic mojito sounds good. If at a function or restaurant, a bartender can make many kinds of drinks and leave out the alcohol.

Drink what you want and is healthy: ice Water, tea, infused Water, Tomato juice, whatever.

I am not in the habit of feeling the need to apologize or explain my choices. If you do, you may want to get a better class of friends.

I just drink Water right now, but taking the Crystal Light Iced Tea to-go pack would make the water look like a brown-liquor drink if looking like you had an alcoholic drink was important...

You can't drink? A lot of my friends (were in our 20,s) who have had the sleeve do drink they don't drink as much bc apparently they get drunk fast.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Its not I cant drink, I am choosing not to drink. I could barely handle one cocktail preop so I am choosing not to post op.

Ice tea unsweetened with a gang load of lemon or lime. I have never liked alcohol so it's same ol' same ol' to me when I go to happy hour with a client and/or co-worker.

I am not in the habit of feeling the need to apologize or explain my choices. If you do, you may want yo get a better class of friends.

That comes across pretty harsh. My friends would never question my choices, but a well meaning coworker, or the spouse of my husband's boss, might get a little noisy.

I am only looking for and offering up ideas for people who want to be part of a festive occastion without alcohol. Maybe they dont want questions or maybe they just want some ideas for beverages other than Water or tea. Sometimes its easier to carry the proverbial solo cup.

You can't drink? A lot of my friends (were in our 20,s) who have had the sleeve do drink they don't drink as much bc apparently they get drunk fast.

Its not I cant drink, I am choosing not to drink. I could barely handle one cocktail preop so I am choosing not to post op.

mocktails/ virgin cocktails ??