Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower starting BMI and weightloss

I was barley a 40 BMI the day I went into surgery. It took me a year to lose 85 pounds to get to my goal of 150, and continued to lose for several more months until I stopped at 143. So steady, but definitely on the slower side. But I'm also a bit older, so that may have been part of it too.

Try not to get too caught up in comparing your weight loss rate with others. As soon as I let that go, it made the process so much easier and enjoyable. The next thing I knew, I was where I wanted to be and doing maintenence. Now maintaining my weight for a year, how fast or slow I lost it doesn't matter at all.

I just had my surgery on Oct 5th, but I was was around 37 BMI on the day of surgery. I lost about 30 lbs from the start of my pre op diet until 2 week post op. I've been in the infamous 3 week stall since then (16 days).

The rate of weight loss is dependent on the type of surgery. I had RNY gastric bypass and I lost my weight quickly and leveled off at 7 months. Individuals who have sleeve surgery tend to lose weight at a much slower pace but they are in the weight loss phase for a significantly longer period of time, sometimes 2 years, until they transition into the Maintenance phase. The total weight loss can be the same for both types of surgery. Sleeve patients can experience many stalls, so be patient.

I am actually hoping for slow weight loss. I know that sharing of this surgery would be received negatively by family and friends, therefore I am keeping it to myself. I am hoping that if I am able to loose the weight slowly, it will be both healthy and raise less eyebrows. I just don't want the negativity in my life from nay sayers.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using the BariatricPal App

I went in to surgery just below 34 bmi. I was told to expect to be a slow loser and not to compare my weight loss numbers with others. Surgery was almost 3 weeks ago and I've only lost 10 lbs, but overall I'm down 26 lbs from my first consult, mainly due to the pre-op liquid diet. I don't mind a slower loss. Fewer raised eyebrows and likely fewer skin issues.

@@RJrocks

I had BMI of 37.1

Was sleeved 8th March 2016.

I lost 70Ib in 6 months. Now I have been stalled for the past 6 weeks, at the same weight.

Not too far from goal, but finding it harder now to lose weight, at 8 months post op.

I had the VSG in mid-August 2015 with a BMI of 32 and have s l o w l y lost 80 pounds since then. My BMI is now 19 (which suits me because I have a narrow frame). I had several lengthy stalls (more than two months long), and experienced a few pounds of regain when I changed medicine I was taking for PCOS and my hormones went haywire. I agree with the advice above to just focus on your own progress and not compare your rate of weight loss to anyone else's, as tempting as that may be to do. My goal all along has been to cultivate better habits so I can have sustainable weight loss. I've lost rapidly in the past, only to gain it back fast.

For me the perks of losing weight gradually has been absolutely no loose skin - it's actually firmer now that I've become more toned, minimal hair loss, and not having to buy new clothes as frequently.

Edited by Clementine Sky

I had a 38 bmi I think

I had vsg march 29th this year have lost 39kgs to date 5kgs to go to get to goal I have virtually no lose skin my surgeon did tell me I'd almost be at goal within the first 6 months I was like what ever couldn't see it being possible but it was

Sent from my iPhone

I agree with above posters. Losing more gradually allowed me to have very little loose skin (only in upper arms) and completely no hair-loss.

My hair actually got healthier.

I also agree with others' advice to Not compare your own weight-loss with other people. It is a very individual journey.

I am wondering what are people's weightloss experience who started with a lower BMI? Say 35 to 40 BMI. How quickly was your weight loss? Thank you :-)

On my first consult, my BMI was 40. On my first nutritional visit, I stayed at my BMI of 40. Now, I just had my 5 month nutritional visit, (only 1 month to go), it's now at 36.9 and I have sleep apnea.

I've lost 25 lbs. So, it's best you not lose alot of weight during the process or you'll need to gain some back or you won't be eligible for surgery if you're using insurance.

Edited by teedsg

Starting out - my BMI was at a 37, and after the pre-op diet, I was at 34.7 the day of surgery. My progress has been very very slow. However, I am 14 pounds away from goal, and I am a year 6 months out. I don't have a lot of loose skin, but my boobies look SAD! And I've always had a panniculus so I see a Tummy Tuck in my future. (I did have insurance - my insurance approved based on my BMI at the time my file was submitted, which was 3 months before surgery).

Edited by lexiemustang

@@lexiemustang you mentioned that you were below 35 however your BMI was above it at the time of approval. Has anyone ever heard of insurance denying because you fell slightly below 35 on the day of?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am wondering what are people's weightloss experience who started with a lower BMI? Say 35 to 40 BMI. How quickly was your weight loss? Thank you :-)

On my first consult, my BMI was 40. On my first nutritional visit, I stayed at my BMI of 40. Now, I just had my 5 month nutritional visit, (only 1 month to go), it's now at 36.9 and I have sleep apnea.

I've lost 25 lbs. So, it's best you not lose alot of weight during the process or you'll need to gain some back or you won't be eligible for surgery if you're using insurance.

This is not accurate. I was BMI 36 at first consult. I could not gain, but could not lose UNTIL my comorbidity sleep apnea was diagnosed (at month 2) and then I could lose. Dr. Said I could lose 50 lbs it wouldn't matter, I would still qualify. This could be insurance dependent. I am with BCBS. My surgery is tomorrow, and BMI is 32.

Sent from my SM-G928P using the BariatricPal App