Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help I went in for my initial consultation and wanted the Gastric Sleeve the doctor suggested the Duodenal switch surgery

Help I went in for my initial consultation and wanted the Gastric Sleeve the doctor suggested the Duodenal switch surgery. I'm 6ft2 450lbs and it took me a lot to take this first step and I was confused and disappointed. My bmi was like 60 and I was wondering what your thoughts are. I read the pros and cons and I know the DS has more risk but he seemed to push it. I have mild diabetes and sleep apnea and major knee problems and blood pressure otherwise healthy. Age is 58.

I'm a newbie just joined tonight and read lots of encouraging stories.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by BigJohn58

Perhaps have a 2nd opinion. Just to see what another surgeon thinks. Do you have GERD? I have heard people with severe GERD don't usually get the sleeve but bypass instead (I think?)

Help I went in for my initial consultation and wanted the Gastric Sleeve the doctor suggested the Duodenal switch surgery. I'm 6ft2 450lbs and it took me a lot to take this first step and I was confused and disappointed. My bmi was like 60 and I was wondering what your thoughts are. I read the pros and cons and I know the DS has more risk but he seemed to push it. I have mild diabetes and sleep apnea and major knee problems and blood pressure otherwise healthy. Age is 58.

I'm a newbie just joined tonight and read lots of encouraging stories.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I honestly do not know the answer to this but I agree you should have a second opinion and research this yourself. My husband and I went to WL seminars over fifteen years and were never willing to risk it until we heard about the sleeve at a wonderful similar. Less invasive was the main reason. We had an easy time in the hospital, 8 hours, barely any pain, no nausea, nothing. It was if did we really have surgery? My husband has had a wonderful easy experience losing over 100 lbs. (320 to217). Health is tremendously better. Sleeved at age 67, you need a medical expert to guide to convince you. Good luck!

My surgeon recommended that if you wanted to lose more than 100 pounds, gastic bypass was the way to go. I was only interested in a restriction only type of surgery, nothing mal-absorptive, so I stuck with the sleeve.

I think it would add value to get a 2nd opinion for sure. That being said, did he say why he felt that was the better surgery for you? Usually there is a reason.

I had a similar experience. For whatever reason I thought the sleeve was the way i wanted to go and had done a ton of research. When I went in for my meeting with the surgeon they immediately recommended Bypass but that was because I had severe Gerd. initially I was devastated because I had only researched the sleeve thinking of course that I knew best.

When i left that appointment i made an appointment with my gastroenterologist who confirmed that the way to go for me was absolutely bypass. then i began researching the heck out of it and became very very comfortable with that plan.

It has been two years now and I lost all of my weight and currently am a normal BMI. I lost 152lbs and I fluctuate between 157 & 162 which is below my goal weight. I have been in maintenance since March 2016 and I got rid of all my comorbitities including that severe gerd thank goodness.

I personally would get a second opinion but for me, I would absolutely take the advice of my doctors. Mine was expert in his field and I trusted him after performing research.

Thanks so much for the great comments I really think I'm going to call the surgeon and tell him I want the sleeve and from what I read I can do the second half at another date after I lose more weight

Hi Big John I'm Rosey I have GERd and a weaker cardiac sphincter so I will be a RnY when my surgery comes. I also have a moderate hiatus hernia to complicate the already murky waters. Where are you located? I would get a second opinion maybe at x teaching hospital at nearby university. I'm 70 myself so don't consider you're too old to do this. Its your time if you feel ready, we'll have a new chance at life. BMI is 45 and I'm almost as tall as you. Yep a big girl, mama only had me so I got it all including food is Love philosophy, now I have to lose those gravy lumps on the rump.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

I think it would add value to get a 2nd opinion for sure. That being said, did he say why he felt that was the better surgery for you? Usually there is a reason.

I had a similar experience. For whatever reason I thought the sleeve was the way i wanted to go and had done a ton of research. When I went in for my meeting with the surgeon they immediately recommended Bypass but that was because I had severe Gerd. initially I was devastated because I had only researched the sleeve thinking of course that I knew best.

When i left that appointment i made an appointment with my gastroenterologist who confirmed that the way to go for me was absolutely bypass. then i began researching the heck out of it and became very very comfortable with that plan.

It has been two years now and I lost all of my weight and currently am a normal BMI. I lost 152lbs and I fluctuate between 157 & 162 which is below my goal weight. I have been in maintenance since March 2016 and I got rid of all my comorbitities including that severe gerd thank goodness.

I personally would get a second opinion but for me, I would absolutely take the advice of my doctors. Mine was expert in his field and I trusted him after performing research.

I have no Gerd he just thought I would lose more weight with the DS I'm at 60bmi.. Tonight I read on the 400 plus forum plenty people lost 200 and 300lbs with the sleeve. I read with the bypass there is more maintenance and post op doctor visits than the sleeve.

I'm petrified of having my stomach rerouted. Thank goddess for this forum and all you great people.

Hi Big John I'm Rosey I have GERd and a weaker cardiac sphincter so I will be a RnY when my surgery comes. I also have a moderate hiatus hernia to complicate the already murky waters. Where are you located? I would get a second opinion maybe at x teaching hospital at nearby university. I'm 70 myself so don't consider you're too old to do this. Its your time if you feel ready, we'll have a new chance at life. BMI is 45 and I'm almost as tall as you. Yep a big girl, mama only had me so I got it all including food is Love philosophy, now I have to lose those gravy lumps on the rump.

Sent from my S55 using the BariatricPal App

Love you Rosey you made me laugh tonight with the gravy lumps on the rump. Yes I'm from a long line of great Italian cooks and big eaters lol I'm in New Joisey ;)

@@BigJohn58

Make sure you really research. I am not sure about your statement regarding more follow up. The sleeve requires an annual nutritional panel same as bypass every year for the rest of your life. In addition both require Vitamins for life...

I go once per year for a nutritional panel. I take a multi Vitamin, Calcium citrate, Vitamin D daily and then B12 once per week. Other than that nutritional panel which is done during a normal physical, I don't need to go to the doctor because I had bypass.

I know you are just getting started, all I am suggesting is that you research before setting your mind on this. The sleeve is a fantastic surgery and people get great results. Bypass is the gold standard. I am not certain about DS as I have not researched that fully.

I don't know many people that really want to go through this type of surgery twice. It's not fun so I would go in with the mindset that this will be the only tummy surgery.

But....thats just me....

Best of luck to you.

How much weight are you wanting to lose? I was 51 BMI and want to lose 200lbs so went with RNY

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using the BariatricPal App

@@BigJohn58

Make sure you really research. I am not sure about your statement regarding more follow up. The sleeve requires an annual nutritional panel same as bypass every year for the rest of your life. In addition both require Vitamins for life...

I go once per year for a nutritional panel. I take a multi Vitamin, calcium citrate, Vitamin D daily and then B12 once per week. Other than that nutritional panel which is done during a normal physical, I don't need to go to the doctor because I had bypass.

I know you are just getting started, all I am suggesting is that you research before setting your mind on this. The sleeve is a fantastic surgery and people get great results. Bypass is the gold standard. I am not certain about DS as I have not researched that fully.

I don't know many people that really want to go through this type of surgery twice. It's not fun so I would go in with the mindset that this will be the only tummy surgery.

But....thats just me....

Best of luck to you.

Great comments again he suggested the duodenal switch not the bypass I do agree I probably wouldn't want to go back for another surgery. Thanks

How much weight are you wanting to lose? I was 51 BMI and want to lose 200lbs so went with RNY

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using the BariatricPal App

Well it looks like if I lose 200 lbs it should do the trick for me so again the option he gave me was duodenal switch not RNY I had done research on the gastric sleeve so we shall see. Thanks