Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting pre-op liquid diet tomorrow. Nervous AF

Hey everyone, first post, nice to meet y'all. My surgery is set for 10/28 with Dr. Schwack at NYU. I start my liquid pre-op diet tomorrow and I'm really nervous. My food cravings can get a little out of control during the day. I'm really scared if the overwhelming anxiety strikes. Does anyone have any tips to help out? And as much as I appreciate the kind words, I really need actionable tips, not just encouraging "you'll be fine!"'s

thanks again,

Mike

I have had food cravings too. My dietitian allowed me to have a salad with no fat dressing at lunch time and steamed vegetables at dinner time (no carbs e.g. Potato). I can also have no sugar ice blocks and jelly. This gave me the sweet taste which helped to kerb my cravings. Diet soft drinks are also okay too.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The only thing that got me through the pre-op diet was sheer willpower and determination. I knew how important it was to the success of my surgery that I follow the surgeon's directions though, so I did. After a while, I started taking a lot of pride that my will was stronger than my mind, which has controlled me for so long when it comes to my eating. I decided that I was setting a tone with that diet, in embracing the change and getting my mind right before I had the surgery. I had made the decision to permanently alter my digestive tract in order to get my life back, but I knew from reading success stories that the journey is more mental than physical. I had to get my mind right about it, and that two weeks of liquid diet was the start of it.

It's a test of your dedication to this process. You are giving up the old way of eating, the old patterns and habits, forever. This is the start of it...so embrace that, because you will struggle even more post-surgery if you don't, mentally. You'll be thinking of nothing but getting back to the old way of eating, and that is a recipe for failure at this. You have to be willing to change...a lot. You're getting the physical part taken care of, but the mental part is all you. But you can do it. If I did, you can too.

Hey everyone, first post, nice to meet y'all. My surgery is set for 10/28 with Dr. Schwack at NYU. I start my liquid pre-op diet tomorrow and I'm really nervous. My food cravings can get a little out of control during the day. I'm really scared if the overwhelming anxiety strikes. Does anyone have any tips to help out? And as much as I appreciate the kind words, I really need actionable tips, not just encouraging "you'll be fine!"'s

My best advice is to tackle some projects and keep busy. Clean the garage. When the mind is at rest it races! My husband has lost 100 lbs, from 330 or to about 217. He is thin for the first time in his life. It has truly been easy, compared to what he went through in his life. It was the scariest thing ever, and if Inhad not pushed him through it by doing it first, not sure he would have done it. We have been to WL seminars over 15 years. Three years, it is the best years of our life. Best advice - Relax, it will be 10 times easier than you expect!!!!

Wishing you the best. I, too just started my two week pre op 675 calories per day....OMGaud! But with sheer faith and knowing this is a life changing decision....I am ready.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I just finished day 8 of my preop diet and I was terrified of becoming hypoglycemic and starving. I have to say it's been much easier than I ever imagined. I get over 90g of Protein in a day and stay just under 700 calories and all I feel is a slight hunger at times and of course some head hunger, but it's not bad. You got this! You. Can. Do. It!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using the BariatricPal App

I think it's important to find the right Protein shake. A variety if you can. I'm not sure what your surgeons requirements are . But I love premier Protein shakes. 1g sugar. 5 carbs. 30g of Protein. I get the pre-made shakes. (Costco) My opinion: They are delicious. The chocolate takes like a chocolate milk or shake.. he helps with my sweet tooth:) I also really like the strawberry and cream... i hope this helps and the best of luck!! My pre op starts soon as well..

thanks again,

Mike

Once you get past day 3 and 4 the diet isn't that bad. The first few days I had a horrible headache and it really hurt to not have caffeine. I just finished day 6 of preop and I'm actually getting turned off by the smells of food and when others eat food around me. On day 1 I wanted the food, now I just want it away from me. I feel more energetic each day and the hunger feeling left me days ago. I also try to keep busy and focus on my surgery and how much better the recovery will be because I didn't cheat.

One tip the nutritionalist gave me that has helped was to drink chicken broth out of a mug at work. It gives me a full feeling and the broth is savory so it's better than tea or Water.

Good luck!!!

Edited by Rudy126