Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody else feel like they are starving?

Hi all. I was a band to sleeve conversion on 9/12. I am feeling great. Didn't feel much pain at all post surgery. The only issue I felt on day 2 and 3 was discomfort in my chest and shoulders from the gas. I notice that a lot of people on this site have completely different instructions than what my surgeon uses. Example, the first 4 weeks post op is strictly hydration period and working on getting clear fluids into my body. I see others who are 1 week post op talking about already eating puréed foods. Is there anybody on the same regimen as me and if so, are you hungry at all? Actually I'm not really hungry I'm just having mad cravings for solid food. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Band to Sleeve revision on 9/2/16. My program is strict. It was 3 day Clear liquids, then switch to all liquids for next couple of weeks. Seen many programs on the net that they begin puree on day 8th and end that stage on the 21st day. Creamed Soups help as they are pretty comforting and filling. Campbells Soup to go has no bumps or lumps, for example. I know I get head hunger a lot though. Also, one of the nurses told me that a healing stomach will often mimic hunger, that makes sense and also when our stomach produces more acid it mimics hunger too.

Edited by Sai187

If you aren't hungry, ignore the cravings. :D Head hunger is the biggest downfall (IMO) for WLS patients.

If you are hungry, follow your plan. Take your PPIs as acid often mimics hunger, drink your fluids, brush your teeth, gargle with Listerine (cuz that crap is nasty and nothing tastes good after) and keep busy.

You can totally do this.

I am now 12 days post op and unable to start pureed foods until 2 weeks out. Thank god I am close because I am so ready for something resembling real food. I heard all the time that I will not experience real hunger during this time. I must be the first because I have definately experienced hunger several times during these last 12 days and it was very real. For me eating things that are warm and savory helps a little. I mix Unjury chicken flavor Protein with broth and even strained creamy Soups.< /p>

Thanks for the positive suggestions and encouragement ladies. I knew going into this wasn't going to be easy and I'm definitely not giving up. Im very grateful for this site because reading others stories and their suggestions is motivating. I have my eye on a healthy future. Best wishes to all of us on our journeys. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Band to Sleeve revision on 9/2/16. My program is strict. It was 3 day Clear Liquids, then switch to all liquids for next couple of weeks. Seen many programs on the net that they begin puree on day 8th and end that stage on the 21st day. Creamed Soups help as they are pretty comforting and filling. Campbells Soup to go has no bumps or lumps, for example. I know I get head hunger a lot though. Also, one of the nurses told me that a healing stomach will often mimic hunger, that makes sense and also when our stomach produces more acid it mimics hunger too.

When you mentioned creamed soups, are you talking about the Campbell's cream of mushroom and creamed of chicken types of soups?

Band to Sleeve revision on 9/2/16. My program is strict. It was 3 day Clear Liquids, then switch to all liquids for next couple of weeks. Seen many programs on the net that they begin puree on day 8th and end that stage on the 21st day. Creamed Soups help as they are pretty comforting and filling. Campbells Soup to go has no bumps or lumps, for example. I know I get head hunger a lot though. Also, one of the nurses told me that a healing stomach will often mimic hunger, that makes sense and also when our stomach produces more acid it mimics hunger too.

When you mentioned creamed soups, are you talking about the Campbell's cream of mushroom and creamed of chicken types of soups?

Yuppers, and then put them through a strainer to make sure all the little bits and pieces are strained out. Many say preferably the fat free soups but I have no issue with fat, well, not as much as carbs anyway hehe. Campell's Soup to Go has no lumps or bumps, and gets ready in 1:15 min in a microwave. Those are pretty good.

Ah and another suggestion is get a tub of Miso Soup base (I get mine from Amazon or the local Asian grocery store). It tastes waaay better than regular chicken broth... I dunno, maybe I'm bias because I'm asian pacific islander but it's far more tastier, and it's really healthy. There is an organic red miso paste on Amazon that I highly recommend, there is also a white miso paste.

I needed variety at the early stages because otherwise, I'd go crazy. o.O

Ah and another suggestion is get a tub of Miso Soup base (I get mine from Amazon or the local Asian grocery store). It tastes waaay better than regular chicken broth... I dunno, maybe I'm bias because I'm asian pacific islander but it's far more tastier, and it's really healthy. There is an organic red miso paste on Amazon that I highly recommend, there is also a white miso paste.

So funny that you mentioned this. I've already been making the miso broth. I'm going to check Amazon for the red miso paste and give that a try. :) Being married to a Filipino for 20 plus years I would go crazy without some sort of Asian based soup. I have made a couple of his favorite tamarind based soup dishes (broth only for me) and it's helping a bit. Also I have individual servings of hot and sour soup made by Mishima. I just have to strain the goodies out, but it does seem to help with the head hunger. Does the sodium have any negative effect on you? I would think all the Water we consume would just flush it out. Going to try creamed Soups next as mentioned above.

Edited by Sinta

I made my own broth. I bought a couple of grocery store rotisserie chickens and had my husband remove the meat from the bones. Put the bones in a pot with about 1 quart Water and 1 quart of store-brand chicken broth, half an onion, about 5 stalks of celery (roughly chopped) and a couple handfuls of mini-carrots. I let that simmer, covered, for about 3 hours. Strained out all the solids, then strained the broth through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Chill and remove fat. It tastes DIVINE.

You can do the same thing with beef bones- just roast them in the oven, covered with foil, for about 2 hours at 350, then substitute beef broth for the chicken broth. It's also amazing, and they are both LIGHT YEARS better than any canned or boxed broth. You can control the sodium content this way, too!

I made my own broth. I bought a couple of grocery store rotisserie chickens and had my husband remove the meat from the bones. Put the bones in a pot with about 1 quart Water and 1 quart of store-brand chicken broth, half an onion, about 5 stalks of celery (roughly chopped) and a couple handfuls of mini-carrots. I let that simmer, covered, for about 3 hours. Strained out all the solids, then strained the broth through a cheesecloth-lined sieve. Chill and remove fat. It tastes DIVINE.

You can do the same thing with beef bones- just roast them in the oven, covered with foil, for about 2 hours at 350, then substitute beef broth for the chicken broth. It's also amazing, and they are both LIGHT YEARS better than any canned or boxed broth. You can control the sodium content this way, too!

Sounds delicious and definitely going to make this within the next couple of days. Thank you for sharing.

Band to Sleeve revision on 9/2/16. My program is strict. It was 3 day Clear liquids, then switch to all liquids for next couple of weeks. Seen many programs on the net that they begin puree on day 8th and end that stage on the 21st day. Creamed Soups help as they are pretty comforting and filling. Campbells Soup to go has no bumps or lumps, for example. I know I get head hunger a lot though. Also, one of the nurses told me that a healing stomach will often mimic hunger, that makes sense and also when our stomach produces more acid it mimics hunger too.

When you mentioned creamed Soups, are you talking about the Campbell's cream of mushroom and creamed of chicken types of soups?

Yuppers, and then put them through a strainer to make sure all the little bits and pieces are strained out. Many say preferably the fat free soups but I have no issue with fat, well, not as much as carbs anyway hehe. Campell's Soup to Go has no lumps or bumps, and gets ready in 1:15 min in a microwave. Those are pretty good.

Perfect! Thank you so much. My only other question is like you, I'm on a 4 week all clear liquid diet. Do these creamed soups fall under that category?

I get Campbell's Soup and filter them through a strainer. If it weren't for those, I wouldn't eat because I don't like much of what is on my menu, being barely 2 weeks out. My husband made pancakes for our 9 year old son this morning and I had to leave the kitchen.

I used to be able to eat an entire batch all on my own.

So funny that you mentioned this. I've already been making the miso broth. I'm going to check Amazon for the red miso paste and give that a try. :) Being married to a Filipino for 20 plus years I would go crazy without some sort of Asian based soup. I have made a couple of his favorite tamarind based soup dishes (broth only for me) and it's helping a bit. Also I have individual servings of hot and sour soup made by Mishima. I just have to strain the goodies out, but it does seem to help with the head hunger. Does the sodium have any negative effect on you? I would think all the Water we consume would just flush it out. Going to try creamed Soups next as mentioned above.

hehe cool. I love a good sinigang soup :P. It's actually my favorite soup of all time!

Re: Sodium

I track the sodium in my fitday.com and the miso soup isn't too salty at all. With one soup a day, I rarely even hit 100% RDA daily sodium. Like you said, we drink a lot a lot of Water so that should also offset it as well. No longer do we consume tons of salt through chips (cry lol) and all those salty goodies.

Also, since most of us are low carbers (at least during the liquid phases), the higher salt is actually a good thing since low-carb diets lower insulin levels, it forces our kidneys to excrete excess sodium and if you don't intake enough, you can get a sodium deficiency.

https://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/

I get Campbell's Soup and filter them through a strainer. If it weren't for those, I wouldn't eat because I don't like much of what is on my menu, being barely 2 weeks out. My husband made pancakes for our 9 year old son this morning and I had to leave the kitchen.

I used to be able to eat an entire batch all on my own.

I know the feeling. I've been practically living in my bedroom far away from the kitchen. lol