Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-operative cramps?

I had my surgery on Monday. I finally had a bowel movement Wednesday evening after taking some milk of magnesia. Since last night, I've been experiencing 6 or 8 powerful, painful abdominal cramps an hour. I've gone to the bathroom a few more times, but not always after a cramp (they seem somewhat unrelated). Is this to be expected?

Also, I'm feeling some dull, mild pain just under my ribs, such as with a deep breath or if i forget not to lay on my side. Anyone else experienced that?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Some of it, the pain that feels but isn't always related to bowel movements, could be intestinal spasm...did your surgeon prescribe Levsin or something else for bowel spasm?

The pain under your ribs...hmm. Could be the unfamiliar tightening as you consume, even if you're just on Clear liquids. Could be the sleeve healing, all that tissue working to knit itself together. It could also be acid; are you taking a PPI like omeprazole (I can never spell that!)?

Last thing - I also had weird pains that I think were related to the actual little incision areas healing deep under the surface. One felt like an easily-triggered stitch in my side, the kind you get from sprinting or something.

I had weird pains post op unrelated to eating; I think it helps to remember that your sleeve is healing and so are those incision sites. Take the anti-spasm med and PPI if you have them.

If you're worried, call your surgeon's office!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Post 15 days here. Off and on muscular pain on the left lower quadrant, front and back, especially if I bend over. It feels similar to over working out my abs or someone taking a stick and poking me. If it gets bad, I may take a tablet of Hyocyamine (one of my surgeon's prescriptions, a muscle relaxer), and it helps.

I developed some labored breathing and called the surgeon, who directed me to the ER. Five hours, bloodwork, an X-ray, and a CT later, I'm fine. Everything is normal, no leaks, no PEs. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks for your replies.

Glad to hear it!

What type of pain meds do they give us to go home? Are the pains so that you need to take something for them or can you get get by

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

One more piece of info about cramps -- in my post above I described a feeling like a stitch in my side. Well, today I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon, and when I described it to her she immediately understood what I was describing and said that it had to do with a nerve getting pinched during the healing process, and that stretching helps get it back into place. I asked her if it was common and she said "It's not COMMON, but it's certainly not uncommon or abnormal." This isn't about intestinal cramps or tightness in the chest but rather a feeling like you get in your side if you're running too fast or are out of shape or whatever, feels like it's very deep in the muscle. Just a lil FYI here in case anyone else has this kind of cramp-like pain.