Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When does the hair falling phase end? and Should I dye my hair?

I am 6 months post-op, my hair has been falling at the same rate since month 3. For you when did hair falling stop? or begin to significantly slow down?

I take hair Vitamins and Biotin, but I want to dye my hair..I am afraid its going to increase the hair fall rate.

I didn't lose any hair, so I can't help you with that part, but from reading these boards my take-away is that it's fine to dye it.

I need to call roto-rooter for my hair loss...

In a word-intense.

Thankful for the vast amount of thick, naturally curly hair I used to curse. Decided I'm going au natural for the duration. Not noticeable to others this way. But OY! It's almost SCARY!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I dyed my hair during heavy loss...it didn't increase the rate of loss...I'm almost 7 months PO and mine has slowed down considerably...it started at about 4-5 months out for me....I bought some Nioxin Shampoo and conditioner and that really seemed to help a lot

Get it professionally done bc the box dyes you can buy from local grocery store are contaminated with an extra chemical or even just more Water. Not to spam you, but I do hair for a living lol. My hair is failing out after two and a half months post op and I dye mine still, it helps it to feel thicker and fuller honestly. It's almost Autumn! Get a sweet fall color!! Paul Mitchell has a new Shampoo and conditioner duo out for thinning hair, I've been using it and it seems to help. You see with these shampoo and conditioners you gotta use the almost every day or at least every time when you wash your hair to actually see it work and to make it work.

This is my experience and i lost at least 2/3 of my hair volume. I got all my Protein starting at week 4 and my Protein levels were normal for all of my labs. Same with Iron which can also cause such a thing.

I did a ton of research on this because it scared me both before and while it was happening to me.

I am Italian and have a very thick head of hair. My hair started shedding what i thought was bad by month 3 and it progressively got worse as the months ticked by. I spoke with my surgical team, my pcp and my dermatologist who also deals with hair. my PCP was completely useless. Both my surgical team and my dermatologist told me the same thing,

My Hair loss would stop when the massive weight loss slowed way down. As scared as i was about my hair loss, i became even more scared that my weight loss was going to stop before i got to my ultimate goal.

My hair loss slowed way down at month 13 post op. given how much hair i was shedding i seriously could not believe that i wasn't bald nor did i have bald spots. You could see my scalp!

The thing is, your hair will grow in all while this is happening. I did take Biotin but i am not convinced it did much of anything and everything i have read basically told me i was right to question it. Biotin helps with regrowth but it will do nothing for the shedding. If you are someone who is prone to hair loss during weight loss or following stress to your body, you will likely lose some hair.

Now......for the crazy part. My hair came back and i swear it is even thicker than what it was. I have new Hair growth further down my previous hairline! Also, it came back very very very curly and it is even a bit frizzy.

While this was going on, i decided to have my hair cut short and cute and it made me feel better. I did get my hair professionally died every 4 weeks as usual and honestly nothing bad happened.

Most people that lose a lot do end up cutting it short for a while until it comes back in. it is less noticeable. The other thing i would tell you other than your husband and your stylist, most people don't even notice. We are just much more focused on it than we should be.

Best of luck to you!

For me, I lost the majority of my excess hair around 3 months up to about 5 or 6 months. Then it stopped. My hair hasn't grown back as thick all over yet(mainly because my hair has always grown slowly), but it is growing back and my brilliant plan to get a volumizing hair cut has left me with mushroom head [emoji38] I actually have to flat Iron it down a bit to live with it. When my hair started falling out, my NUT had me increase my Protein and as long as I keep up on my protein, it has stayed put. There have been a few times where I fell short too long and dealt with a couple weeks of she'd in til I upped my protein again. I know I'm one of the lucky ones though.

Thank you all for your comments. For those who are wondering,yup dying your hair increases its hair fall rate.

I am not sure how to slow or end the hair fall process? I always had very thick rich hair, and my Protein intake is of that of a healthy person, bordering on that of an Atkins person. Biotin, hair Vitamins, Multivitamins...what can I take to slow down the hair fall process?

Thank you all for your comments. For those who are wondering,yup dying your hair increases its hair fall rate.

I am not sure how to slow or end the hair fall process? I always had very thick rich hair, and my Protein intake is of that of a healthy person, bordering on that of an Atkins person. Biotin, hair Vitamins, Multivitamins...what can I take to slow down the hair fall process?

You can take Vitamins, Biotin, use special Shampoo and see if it helps with regrowth. There's very little if anything you can do to prevent loss though.

This was an excellent question, as I too was curious about this. My hair is already very fine and super thin and to know I will most likely lose more of it, just frightens me. But it's expected.

Like @@Djmohr, I will probably get my long hair cut short too. I want to go gray naturally and this may be my way to do it.

My hair started falling out around 3 to 4 months and has slowed down at 6 months now, about a month ago I had my hair cut in a a-line and lightened and it feels and looks much better and thicker....

I experienced Hair loss month eight and also experienced extreme fatigue. I called the doctor they checked my blood work and my Vitamin levels and I was low on zinc which was resulting in the fatigue and the hair loss. Have you had your vitamin levels checked?

My hair loss was from 3-6 months. Now that my weight loss has slowed down so has my Hair loss. I took the Biotin , still do. It's thinner but the only ones that noticed was me and my hairdresser. I had chunks coming out it really freaked me out. Now it's been coming back there are short hairs sticking out all over the place ugh!! I control them with a serum #10 and hair spray. I never stopped coloring my hair , every 5 weeks , I refused to look gray and depressed, and coloring my hair always made me feel better .

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App