Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Food Stages Lists Suggestions

i do not suggest:

Skim or 1% milk

Soy milk

Milk shakes - thinned

Gatorade or equivalent sports drink

Yogurt smoothie drinks - not including homemade

these all have carbs and will not allow you to loose weight as quickly as you want

gatorade is a deff NO NO.

drink propel. you get the flavor without the like 30+ grams of carbs and sugar.

milkshakes? i think not

smoothie drinks.... dont think so. loaded with sugar and carbs. the low carb ones arnt even worth drinking they taste bad and dont sit for long so you are hungry within the hours

im not going to go thru the whole list

but basically

if you want to loose the weight, use your brain and stay away from the carbs. They fill you up fast but you will not remain full and the second they go down you'll want more. which only makes ur liver fat and your body will just burn the carbs your storing in your liver and not the ones your storing in your fat

This is from my surgeons patient handbook

LAP–BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System Diet Instructions AFTER Surgery

• Stay away from carbonated or citrus drinks to decrease nausea – “sugared” drinks are OK for a source of carbohydrates at this time

• No foods that are “doughy” or “sticky” - like soft white bread, coconut, chips, popcorn, or dried fruits - they could obstruct the band

• Very fibrous foods such as broccoli, asparagus, celery, artichokes, pineapple, and rhubarb could also obstruct the band if not overcooked and cut into small pieces

food that is difficult to digest includes nuts, almonds, and peanuts

• Caffeinated drinks are not usually an issue

• Drink lots of Water (48 oz – 64 oz/day). Avoid gulping Water, sip small amounts slowly and gradually through a straw. You may find that cold water tastes better than lukewarm

• Do not drink while you eat or within an hour before and after eating

• If overeating occurs during the immediate post-operative phase, vomiting is expected with an increase risk of having the stomach tissue slip up through the band.

IMMEDIATE POST OP DIET: Ice chips, 30ml of water every 15 min or nothing by mouth. A barium swallow (Upper Gastrointestinal study) is scheduled the next morning after surgery.

DAY ONE: Clear liquids only (liquids you could see through), broth, Jell-O, apple juice, tea or popsicles. There are also clear Protein drinks – Ultra Cal liquid (Mead Johnson), Isopur (GNC store – raspberry, punch, or orange, has O carbs and whey protein), and Enlive (Ross – 10g of Protein per 8 oz). It is common to have post-op swelling around the Band as a result of surgery. Do not be alarmed if you are unable to tolerate or swallow liquids easily. You will be monitored for this in the hospital, then discharged.

FIRST TWO WEEKS: Transition to liquid diet including skim milk and Tomato juice (a good source of protein and can be tolerated by LAP-BAND patients, unlike Gastric Bypass patients). Continue with full liquids such as creamed Soups and yogurt including a “protein shake” (Ensure Light, Boost, Instant Carnation Breakfast) at least twice a day. See detailed dietary guidelines for Lap Band patients.

TWO TO FOUR WEEKS: pureed or blended foods (for example, applesauce, yogurt, creamy Soups, cooked cream of wheat, farina, cream of rice, pudding). Patients can puree the following foods with skim/soy milk or broth: • Vegetables • meats • Casseroles *Patients who eat solid food too soon run the risk of dislocating the band, thereby developing an enlarged upper gastric pouch.

Transitional Period to solid food on or about the FIFTH WEEK: Regular diet until first scheduled assessment for adjustment (sixth week post-op). Continue “Sugar-free” products. Expect to eat ½ cup of food at a time or 1 ounce – 1 ½ ounce by the 5th week Beware: the majority of patients will find it difficult, if not impossible, to eat whole chunks of meat, although ground beef is generally tolerated if well chewed.

Food must be chewed well. It is important to make good food choices. To avoid hairloss eat protein-rich foods first at every meal (3 meals a day). Alcohol has a lot of calories, and therefore should be avoided.

Hey, everybody! I just had my band put in last week by Dr. Jorge Rincon (San Antonio)! I've lost 8 pounds in 9 days! I feel pretty good! Anyways, I'm in stage 2 now and I've made a Soup recipe that's pretty good to be a full liquid:

cream of chicken Soup

chicken broth

salt

hot sauce or other seasoning

~Put these ingredients in the blender, then in the microwave for about a minute, and it takes pretty much like a real meal!

ok im like on day 14 and ready to go to the next food stage,but i have to say i barley made it to this stage...I cant eat one more can of Soup or broth..i was Starving towards the end....well heres what im confused about..according to my packet i got from the hospital im on the pureed diet which gives me a small list of foods i can eat..heres what it says.Pureed food choices are pureed skinless chicken or fish,mashed potatoes with skim milk,skim milk with rice krispies,cheerios,or cornflakes. Now if i can eat rice krispies and cheerios why cant i eat tuna in a can?? I started to eat tuna thinking it was ok,but after reading the packet some more it says thats on the Next stage(day29 to 42) im just stressing on this dam list of things to eat..im trying my best to stick to it.

I guess the thing that surprises me most about the original post is that it says '1 or 1 1/2 cup per meal'...my understanding was that the pouch could only hold about 1/4 cup at a time...? I'm still on mush food for another week, so haven't gotten to the real food stage. I'm eating 4 oz. of food/meal and not starving, so I guess the band is tight enough to give me some restriction without being filled yet.

THANK YOU, :clap2:THANK YOU, :clap2:THANK YOU:clap2:!!!! I have looked everywhere for a list to no avail. Since I'm a self-pay I have been fast tracked with just an initial visit, then the pre-op and surgery on June 19. I will print your list out and use it as my bible reference. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to type it all out.

Jeri :)

Thank you so much for a wonderful list of healthy food that I can actually eat! :confused: this is very good- excellent!

blended meat

What about Underwood chicken Spread? It is "potted meat" in that it is minced and sold in a can. Quite frankly, I love the stuff.

Darr

FYI: my lapband doc's guidelines (it continues on to stages 2, 3, 4, and 5: covering the first 6 weeks post-op and week 7 and beyond) if you are interested, let me know I will PM it to you. These guidelines are so similar to others I have seen on this post--but, I find it interesting to compare ALL information.

LAP BAND SURGERY GUIDELINES

DAY ONE

Clear Liquids:

Including diluted juice (anything you can see through), Water, broth, Jello or Popsicles

STAGE ONE: WEEK 1 & 2

Liquid Diet:

Choose liquids tha have calories and protein for meals (see box below). You can have uo to 6 liquid meals per day: each 4 oz (1/2 cup) over a 30-45 minute period. At other times of the day, choose only non-caloric beverages. The following choices will NOT be appropriate long-term.

• Ready made liquid supplements: Slim Fast, Ensure, Boost
  • Carnation Instant Breakfast made with skim or low fat milk
  • Yogurt smoothie
  • Skim or low fat milk
  • Creamed Soups ie: Tomato Soup made with skim or low fat milk

Can you please explain why you can have yogurt but not frozen yogurt (fat free, sugar free)?? Many thanks

I bought the bullet. So far I love it but have only used it for Protein Shakes that I blend w/ ice to make them more milkshaky. I am only on day 2 full liquids. After 2 weeks on full liquids, according to my doc, I will be able to eat pureed foods. Then I think my bullet will come in very handy because

i can make one meal for my family (a meat, a veggie, and a starch) and I can puree mine w/ the bullet. The bullet seems great and will have many other uses too. I can even make my own hummus...No I am not a Magic Bullet salesmen.

Ellen

Can you please explain why you can have yogurt but not frozen yogurt (fat free, sugar free)?? Many thanks

Excellent question! Anyone??

New Hope, the nutritionist told me that mashed potatoes and oatmeal were ok, which are starches? So I guess I assumed Pasta would be about the same?? But during this period, I'm to continue my Protein Shakes. Once I graduate to solids, if I can get enough Protein in through my food, I won't have to drink the yucky shakes. I don't think I could eat blended meat. :/

Don't worry though. For lunch, I had scrambled eggs! Yum! And for dinner, I am having cottage cheese.< /p>

But I am DYING for a salad. I need veggies so bad...maybe I'll make some sweet potatoes!

Shrinkingviolet,

My doc. said that I would be on the protein shakes til I reach my weight goal. Isn't it sooooo weird how all our doctors have diff. opinions. But then again you know what they say about opinions. LOL

My doctor told me that I would only be eating 2 oz. meals but it seems that, that would be impossible to get all your food groups. That's not even a bite each. Have I misunderstood?