Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Food Stages Lists Suggestions

Here are the lists that my nutritionist gave to me for the different stages of eating after having surgery. The moderator may want to make this thread a sticky for those who don't get defined lists, as I've noticed a lot of questions about this topic in the past.

*STAGE 1 - liquids

START: When you return home from your surgery

DURATION: For 2 weeks post surgery, or until your next dietitian appointment.

DIET: Clear and full liquids

GOAL: Aim for at least 64 ounces of Fluid for the day by continuous sipping.

LIQUIDS RECOMMENDED:

Water

100% fruit juice (No sugar added)

Bouillon

Strained Soups or broths

Skim or 1% milk

Soy milk

Milk shakes - thinned

Gatorade or equivalent sports drink

Yogurt smoothie drinks - not including homemade

Crystal Light

sugar free beverages

Herbal or decaffeinated tea or coffee

Popsicles (Pedialyte)

LIQUIDS TO AVOID:

Citrus juices (orange, grapefruit, pineapple)

Acidic liquids (tomato juice, Tomato Soup, buttermilk)

Caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea)

Carbonated beverages (any soda pop, seltzer, or tonic water)

Homemade fruit or yogurt smoothies

Anything that seems liquid but is not (Jello, yogurt, pudding, ice cream) *Do pour test*

*STAGE 2 - MUSHIES

START: 2 weeks post surgery

DURATION: Up to 2 weeks post liquid stage

DIET: Soft food

GOAL: Aim for a meal capacity of about 1 cup (8 ounces) for 3 meals per day. Aim for Fluid intake of 48-64 ounces per day.

FOODS RECOMMENDED:

Milk (skim or 1% only)

Cottage cheese

eggs (poached, scrambled or soft boiled)

Blended cream Soups

Yogurt

Low Fat cheese - unmelted

Peanut Butter

Tofu (silken only)

pudding

Applesauce or other fruit sauces

Canned fruits

Mashed potatoes

Cream of Wheat or oatmeal (diluted with milk)

*STAGE 3 - SEMI SOLIDS

START: 4 weeks post surgery

DURATION: 2 weeks post mushies stage

DIET: Semi-solid food

GOAL: Aim for a meal capacity of about 1 cup (8 ounces) for 3 meals per day. Aim for fluid intake of 48-64 ounces per day.

FOOD RECOMMENDED:

Deli cuts of meat

Canned flake meats such as tuna or chicken

Ground meats like ground beef or ground turkey

Beans

Tofu

Baked fish or crab meat

Pasta, rice, and corn

Fresh fruit - eliminate skins

Cooked vegetables - avoid celery, asparagus or broccoli stalks

Low Fat melted cheese

FOODS TO AVOID FOR MUSHIES & SEMI SOLID STAGES:

Caloric beverages - sweetened tea, soda, lemonade, juices

Ice cream, frozen yogurt, milkshakes, & smoothies

Regular Jello

Dry solids like breads, cereals, crackers, high Fiber foods

*STAGE 4 - SOLIDS

RECOMMENDED FOODS & SERVING SIZES:

Protein GROUP:

1 ounce lean meat, poultry or fish

1/4 cup yogurt

1/4 cup pudding

1/4 cup cottage cheese

1 egg, 2 egg whites

1/4 cup egg substitute

1 tbsp. Peanut Butter

1 ounce tofu

1 ounce cheese

1/4 cup canned flake meat

1 slice deli meat

2 tbsp. grated cheese

1/4 cup shredded cheese

1/2 cup Beans

1/4 cup hommus

GRAIN GROUP:

1/2 slice toast

1/4 bagel or english muffin

1/2 cup Cereal (cooked or dry)

1/2 cup broth-type Soup

1 oblong graham cracker

1/4 cup rice, Pasta, or potato

1/2 small baked potato

1/4 cup corn

4 crackers

FRUIT GROUP:

1/4 cup canned fruit (in its own juices)

1/4 cup grapes

1/2 piece fresh fruit

1 tsp. jelly or jam

1/4 cup dry fruit

VEGETABLE GROUP:

1/2 cup cooked vegetables

1 cup raw vegetables

1/2 cup tomato juice

1/4 cup tomato sauce or salsa

OTHERS GROUP:

1 tsp. oil, butter, or margarine

1 tsp. Mayonnaise

1 tbsp. Miracle Whip

1 tbsp. sour cream or cream cheese

1 tbsp. salad dressing

2 tbsp. guacamole

4-6 almonds, cashews, or pecans

1 ounce cheese

2 tsp. peanut butter

1 tbsp. tahini

1/4 cup Cool-Whip

1 tsp. sugar, honey, or Syrup

COMBINATION FOODS:

1 or 1 1/2 cup per meal

1/2 cup per snack

CORE PLAN:

BREAKFAST:

1-2 Proteins

1 fruit

2 grains

1 other

LUNCH:

2-3 Proteins

1 vegetable

2 grains

1 other

SNACK:

1 fruit

1 Protein

DINNER:

2-3 proteins

1-2 vegetables

2 grains

1 other

SNACK:

1 vegetable

1 grain

I hope that this helps those who are researching getting the band, with knowing what your eating habbits will be like after surgery. I also hope that this will help those who are never given a clear eating plan after surgery too.

Please know that this is just the plan that was given to me, and I do not expect all bandsters to follow this plan. It is simply a guidline for those who need one/are not given one.

Please remember to follow exactly what your surgeon/nutritionist says, even if it is different than this list.

Thanks...this will really help me, my surgery date is 10/27/08.

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site. My banding is scheduled for Nov 18. :cool2: I start the liquid diet Tuesday. I'm excited and scared at the same time. For the time being, I'm wondering what type of Protein Drinks you found to taste good. I don't do well with a lot of liquid sloshing around in my tummy. It was suggested to me to get a Protein Drink and add some sugar free pudding to it... would thicken it up. Plan to try that, but the Protein drinks seem to come in huge containers and I really don't want to spend $$ on something that I might not like. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:Thanks

hi trishcruise...I am on day 8 of my 25 day preop liquid diet. I am using muscle milk light for my Protein Shakes, either the chocolate milk or Cookies and cream. The cookies and cream isn't great but the chocolate is very good I think. I've also heard Premier Protein from costco is good as well, and that might be a better deal $$$ wise. I got the muscle milk light from the Vitamin Shoppe. Good luck, my surgery is a day after yours so I am excited to see how we do!

I love the bullet- its great, it can blend, puree, chop. You should try the fruit shakes that Isopure Perfect Low carb makes. You might like those. I got mine off of Vitaminshoppe.com. Good luck.

Thanks for this posting- it's really helpful. I've gotten pretty general instructions..."eat small portions". which was well-intentioned but I need more definition. I've been eating solid food for 3 days now- and your list will help me greatly in menu planning!

THANKYOUTHANYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!! I'm getting my band on the 19th and have been really trying to get prepared and make sure that I have all the right foods in place so that I can be as successful as possible. I was just getting ready to post the exact question that you ansewered!

How many calories should we be eating a day

Once you're competely healed I would say 1000 to 1200 calories per day.

Calories are helpful- at least to me- in addition to quantity. How much can you eat?

My doctor relies on patients' abiity to recognize the new version of fullness and for us to stop eating at the right point...provided you've started with a "small portion."

Protein is top of the list for what to eat but having some rice or Beans and green veg gives one a good feeling. I love to have a bit of tossed salad as a between-meal snack.< /p>

Phil

Phylis,

My program is 3 meals a day, 15 minutes each, 20 grams of Protein, i.e. hard boiled egg, 2 oz of cheese, small fruit/veg. eaten in that order

OR

Protein Slam (25 grams of protein), From Wal-mart

64+ oz of Water each day, usually 100 oz.

Never with meals,

CARRY water with me always

3 small snacks; i.e.: Peanuts, 1/8 cup, Tablespoon Peanut Butter, ALWAYS protein, 1/4 cup Cottage cheese, 1 oz of reduced fat hard cheese

The minute I feel full, STOP

30 minutes of exercisex2 per day, Attempting to reach 15,000 steps per day

Have a great Day!

K