Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@priscillaparker my eyes watered. I didn't even think about because you know, I was happy to be alive, happy to be at church and just overall just in the moment but as soon as I took that sip I was really trying to hold it together.

Idk why this keeps coming up? Search alcohol and it's all the same on here also do a google search or no take an anatomy class! Point blank you want to drink then do it see what happens, see how you might be lucky a few times but then one day, one day you wake up with a clot in your liver, you wake up with stomach pain so bad it's hard to get up bc of a cyst, let's not forget the kidneys! One day you could wake up with kidney disease not bc it was inherited but bc you drank alcohol!! Vitamins forget that they won't help you after you pop them in your mouth... But go ahead drink them sips of alcohol see how lucky you can be!!! It's only up to you not us

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I love Catholics who say they had communion wine, yada yada. Hello, if it is soo important to you to have the Blood of Christ, then stop with the I had wine, NO YOU DID NOT! Ask your Priest, you had the blood of Christ, if you think it was wine then you are a fraud taking it in the first place! I me clearly says when handing you the cup "The body of Christ" he doesn't say that and wink! He doesn't say Carlo Rossi pretending to be the blood of Christ. If you have faith, then no, you did not have wine, at all, period!

There are lots of reasons doctors have no alcohol or a fairly long wait on drinking.

First and foremost. Empty calories. Your goal is to lose weight, I assume. Drinking your calories is a really bad idea. And once you've had that alcohol, many people tend to make bad decisions on what they put in their face. Are you (general/plural) really going to reach for SF puddding (sic) or greek yogurt or are you going to finish off that bag of popcorn or the infamous box of Cheez its? ;)

Secondly, your stomach has a fresh incision and it takes time to heal. The acidity in wine, soda, and jooce (sic) mixers can irritate that tender tummy. No bueno.

Third, you don't know how alcohol will affect you. I got totally blitzed off a glass of wine, and was dead sober an hour later with my first drink. (And the heartburn that commenced had me rolled up on the floor in tears for an hour.) You really shouldn't be eating and drinking at the same time, so there goes the option for foood (sic) in the tummy to soak up some of the booze.

But you are an adult and only you can decide for yourself. I am sure you will make exactly the right decision for you. :D

I agree with @@LipstickLady, but I did have my first drink 6 weeks post opt and gradually returned to social drinking by month 3. At this point I was 10 pounds from my goal. It took two months to hit my goal along with social drinking and it probably would have been one with no alcohol.

I researched medical advice and found ZERO consistency. In Europe most surgeons have no limits while others say never.

I did drink extra Water and take an extra antacid when I drank. I stuck to low calorie drinks and logged them along with everything else I ate that night. I also started with weak V-8 bloody Mary's or bourbon and water.

I think it's a personal choice, but proceed with due caution, particularly if you still have a lot of weight to lose.

Edited by Cape Crooner

Idk why this keeps coming up? Search alcohol and it's all the same on here also do a google search or no take an anatomy class! Point blank you want to drink then do it see what happens, see how you might be lucky a few times but then one day, one day you wake up with a clot in your liver, you wake up with stomach pain so bad it's hard to get up bc of a cyst, let's not forget the kidneys! One day you could wake up with kidney disease not bc it was inherited but bc you drank alcohol!! Vitamins forget that they won't help you after you pop them in your mouth... But go ahead drink them sips of alcohol see how lucky you can be!!! It's only up to you not us

I love Catholics who say they had communion wine, yada yada. Hello, if it is soo important to you to have the Blood of Christ, then stop with the I had wine, NO YOU DID NOT! Ask your Priest, you had the blood of Christ, if you think it was wine then you are a fraud taking it in the first place! I me clearly says when handing you the cup "The body of Christ" he doesn't say that and wink! He doesn't say Carlo Rossi pretending to be the blood of Christ. If you have faith, then no, you did not have wine, at all, period!

Well, that re-escalated in two bizarre (one being &%$& BIZARRE) directions, didn't it?

I had a few sips of champagne at three weeks post-op. It was a dinner in my honor and it would have been rude and entirely unnecessary to not be polite and sip tiny sips at toasts. I didn't really drink anything again until probably about a year later, which was a few shots of tequila. After that, my next drinking night was about a year later, which then led to a summer of having a darn good time and probably too much tequila. It was fun, I was careful with how much I consumed, and I was just fine. It's now been a year since that time and since then I've had a few glasses of champagne, 1-2 cups of scotch, and a giant shot of tequila- all of which got me supremely blitzed, very quickly, and ensured I had a fabulous time, for very cheap, without a hangover.

You can have a sleeve and drink. You can have a few sips of booze shortly after surgery. You will be fine. Don't do shots, keg stands, or beer bongs....save those for a few months from now, hahahaha.

Why would it have been rude not to drink champagne? You could have put Water in your glass. Or, just lifted your glass. Or, any number of things. No one, not a pregnant woman, recovering alcoholic, someone recovering from surgery, teatotaler, Baptist, etc., etc., should EVER be forced to drink alcohol or anything else because of politeness or for any other reason.

It is possible to politely and tactfully set boundaries for ourselves. Learning to do so is an invaluable skill and seems like it would be a great topic for a pre-op workshop or bariatric support group meeting.

Well, then. Is it better if I say 'dang, the Blood of Christ burned like it was cheap Merlot'?

Well, then. Is it better if I say 'dang, the Blood of Christ burned like it was cheap Merlot'?

If so, then can you say "The plain version is ok but I prefer the parmesan and rosemary flavored body of Christ" (Communion Wafers)? Or, "Does anyone have a little "Guac" to go with this?"

:)

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

I am 57 and working on improving health, so didn't really drink much before surgery either. First alcoholic drink was a wine glass of (still/non-bubbly) hard cider - very similar to white wine, at about 4 months. Maybe 8oz at the most. It was good tho, and I had no ill effects :-)

Edited by Barry W

Oh no!! I just snorted in quite the unladylike manner.

If so, then can you say "The plain version is ok but I prefer the parmesan and rosemary flavored body of Christ" (Communion Wafers)? Or, "Does anyone have a little "Guac" to go with this?"

:)

WAIT!!!

Is it sacrilegious to put the blood of Jesus in the little Dixie cups with jokes printed on them? That's what MY Catholic Sunday School did. Hmmmm....

This thread is causing me to rubberneck. Just when I am ready to look away, something new catches me.

On my doctor's plan alcohol after a month is permitted if it isn't carbonated and if the patient wasn't a heavy drinker before. The plan says nothing about Cheezits or Catholicism, however.