Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all- I was sleeved on 8/1 and while perusing the forums I noticed a lot of people who live by the numbers on the scale, getting weighed everyday, etc.

Weighing yourself everyday is terrible and should be stopped immediately.

I don't even have a scale because how my clothes fit is more important than those numbers, in addition to the fact that muscle weighs more than fat.

I am extremely concerned for people who live by the scale, it is a disordered behavior, and can set you up for more serious problems.

Please, I know there is a goal to be reached, but please, everyone, try to only weigh yourselves once per week at the same time of day.

Focus on getting healthy and the weight WILL fall off, I promise.

Also, if you just had surgery, please don't even step on a scale until your post-op follow up appt.

I am just having it rough I am not loosing any weight as a matter a fact I'm gaining and I am afraid to have surgery again this surgery did not work for me at all sleeved in August haven't even lost 30lbs

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't feel that "weighing yourself everyday is terrible and should be stopped immediately". Everyone is different so what works for some may not work for others.

When I was newly post op I only weighed a few times a month because I liked seeing a larger weight loss. Plus weighing infrequently I didn't notice the stalls nor did I stress about numbers.

Now that I am over two years post op and have been at goal and in maintenance for the last 16 months I weigh almost everyday- this approach helps me maintain my weight loss within a few pounds. For me maintaining is trickier than losing and I have to fine tune my activity and intake. Without the scale at this stage in my process the pounds could easily slip back on, especially as I can eat more and I am more hungry than I was during my weight loss phase.

Everyone has to find what works best for them.

My post op instruction was to weigh myself daily and notify my surgeon of any weight gain.

My post op instruction was to weigh myself daily and notify my surgeon of any weight gain.

Does your surgeon understand Water weight/retention and the changes a woman goes through monthly? I cannot imagine a doctor recommending that.

I weigh myself daily to keep myself accountable. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I weigh myself everyday too and not going to stop. Totally able to cope if the scale goes up a few lbs.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

A pound is a pound. A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, just like a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. I have ALWAYS hated that argument. Muscle does not weight more than fat. Also, I find that weighing myself everyday keeps me accountable. To each their own. If you find it toxic and it does not work for you than do what works best for you.

Ami23- hopefully most women know that they gain and lose Water weight based on their cycle given that they probably had a cycle pre op. Maybe if I had weighted daily pre op, I wouldn't have gotten to 263 lbs. Post op, I sure as hell weight myself daily. Not weighting is a good way for me to let the pounds creep up. I can gain or lose 10 pounds and still fit in my clothes. I do all kinds of things daily, none of which are "disordered". You may need to learn what disordered means. Allow me to direct you to the DSM 5, I assure you that checking your weight once a day is not in there.

Ami23- hopefully most women know that they gain and lose Water weight based on their cycle given that they probably had a cycle pre op. Maybe if I had weighted daily pre op, I wouldn't have gotten to 263 lbs. Post op, I sure as hell weight myself daily. Not weighting is a good way for me to let the pounds creep up. I can gain or lose 10 pounds and still fit in my clothes. I do all kinds of things daily, none of which are "disordered". You may need to learn what disordered means. Allow me to direct you to the DSM 5, I assure you that checking your weight once a day is not in there.

Considering your use of improper grammar, erp, I won't take offense to the tone of your response, however for shits and giggles I have provided the dictionary definition of disordered for you.

"disrupt the healthy or normal functioning of."

And thanks, I do know and have read the DSM V (not 5).

Please don't respond, erp, as your poorly written statements are an embarrassment.