Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all,

This group is pretty buried within the forums, so I can see how I missed it until now (and I can also see why it's pretty inactive). I would have really liked to read a story like mine from someone else while I was researching the sleeve surgery.

So, here's my story and I hope it helps someone. I would love to hear from anyone and try to pump some life into this forum! I'm a newbie, just 12 days post-op, so I am still learning everyday and ask the veterans dumb questions all the time. But I still think my experience just coming to terms with knowing the sleeve was for me might help another low BMIer in a similar situation.

I'm 31 years old, 5'6" and started at 180lbs (29 BMI). I had a lot of backlash from friends and family when I made my mind up to go forward with this, but ultimately everyone ended up being supportive after they realized there was no talking me out of it and the surgery was done. For low BMIers wondering if the sleeve is too drastic for them, I'll tell you it's a personal choice and a lifelong commitment.

That being said, I was a major yo-yo dieter. I binged on food for weeks, gain 35 pounds, then went vegan cold turkey (cold tofu? Lol). Lost 30lbs. Then went on a binge, gained 40lbs, then did Atkins (extreme difference from vegan), lost 35lbs. I've been repeating this cycle of bingeing then dieting (insert any fad diet here: HCG diet, Orange Theory obsession, phentermine, personal trainer 3x, vegetarian, back to Atkins, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers...) since I was 12 years old. Anyway, the highs got higher and I never made it back to my pre-binge numbers.

I got exhausted from dieting. Frustrated with myself and my lack of impulse control. I looked into WLS. My mom is the same as I am, just add another 100lbs. I went with her to a weight loss seminar and learned about the sleeve. I was ready to sign up then and there; finally, I found something that could be a real tool to help me maintain a healthy weight for life - you can't binge if you can only eat a half a cup of food at a time!

Unfortunately, the US healthcare system wanted me to be a 35 BMI to get the surgery. And, if I wanted to waste a couple years of my life, I guarantee I would've made it there, and I would have brought along my new friends diabetes, high BP, and joint pain.

Instead, I researched getting the sleeve in Mexico where I could pay a fraction of the cost of surgery in the US, and they were willing to do the surgery within 2 weeks of my filling out paperwork and a deposit for just about anyone BMI 28 or higher.

I went w/ Dr. Ortiz at OCC. I was THRILLED with the entire experience. When I arrived in Mexico I began having doubts, but the staff and the other patients put me at ease. There were several very low BMI patients with my same issues. An interesting fact the surgeon told me is that once you gain 30 pounds the likelihood of you losing the weight and keeping it off without surgery is 10%. I already knew I didn't fall into that 10%. So I did it on 7/22/16. After my pre-op diet (which was absolutely the hardest part of this entire process!), I weighed 173 pounds on date of surgery.

I'm 12 days out and weigh 163lbs now. I really think that being low BMI and healthy were 2 major reasons I had such an easy surgery. Aside from a little nausea caused by the anesthesia (I never threw up, just felt icky for about an hour) and getting the gas out, I had no complications. My incisions are all tiny. I have no pain in my abdomen. I'm a stomach sleeper and can sleep on my stomach. I was only on pain meds a couple days past surgery (and I just took what I was told, not sure I even had any pain ever).

Getting 64oz of liquid in the first 2 days didn't happen for me, but as soon as I could introduce the Protein Shakes, this process became totally workable. I'm currently drinking 3 Premier Protein drinks p/day and get 90g of Protein per day. I drink 48oz of regular Water and 16oz of Vitamin Water. I enjoy Tomato Soup with almond milk and yogurt drinks (the yogurt adds another 12g of Protein, bringing my count up to 102g) as my Snacks. I mix my Vitamins with the Soup and the yogurt, because I'm not supposed to take them as pills yet.

The biggest issues for me are mental. At this point, I haven't had solid food yet, so I just miss eating. I get to start my pureed phase on 8/5, so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm very excited for cottage cheese, poached eggs and the ricotta bake!

My dr's goal for me is 150lbs, because that puts me in the healthy BMI range, but my goal is 130lbs.

Here's my before shot, I'm going to update it on the 22nd of each month:

post-296589-14701618450306_thumb.jpg

post-296589-14701618865268_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Congrats. I am a year out, and am now a 22bmi .... I as well started at 29 vim And 7 lbs from nut goal,

Congrats! That's awesome. I lost 10 pounds in the first 12 days and imagine I'll probably end up losing a pound or two a week after this big drop. Was that your experience? And, did you have any issues with hair loss?

Great story! And you are right ... No one really understands when you are a low BMI (like us - I am 31.5). I'm scheduled for 8/30 and for all the reasons you'll understand I haven't told anyone but my closest family. I'm tired of not having a tool like VSG will provide. Thanks for sharing!

@@NewAdventure2016 keep us updated on your progress! You'll do great in surgery - just be tough through the horrible pre-op diet! Hopefully you aren't stuck on that too long :)

@@NewAdventure2016 keep us updated on your progress! You'll do great in surgery - just be tough through the horrible pre-op diet! Hopefully you aren't stuck on that too long :)

I started weaning off caffeine, sugar and carbs 8/1 (yesterday) and plan to go to 2 Premier Proteins and 1 lean meal for the 2 weeks prior to surgery and then up my over-all Fluid intake as high as possible. Dr said all I need to do is 24 hours pre-op liquid, but I'm working hard to make post-op bearable, so hopefully this will help.

Congrats! That's awesome. I lost 10 pounds in the first 12 days and imagine I'll probably end up losing a pound or two a week after this big drop. Was that your experience? And, did you have any issues with hair loss?

I got down to 160 within 30 days , and then a pound every week, I got down to 142-146 in 6 months from 179 surgery date, and am struggling to lose the last 5-10 lb to 135 but it's just a number, and I know I look pretty decent, no lose skin issues , I want to start back in weights again next month and focus on strength training

Hair loss - yes it started at about 4 months out to about 9 months, I layered the hell out of my hair and have cut a lot off as it comes back , I did the Biotin , and 80 grams Protein for most of this time.

By the way I just turned 40, and have an athletic build and previously worked out a lot so when my nut said 135 , she also said depending on my muscle tone I could end up at 140.

Feel free to pm if anyone wants information and doesn't want to post

Thank you ladies for sharing this. I too have a low BMI of 27. However i have gained quite a bit of weight and i know my family wouldn't understand my decision to fly to MX today & have WLS tomorrow. This is what i want and feel good about it!!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using the BariatricPal App

Good luck!! We're here for you!! Keep us updated on how you're doing tomorrow. Just try to get up and walking as quickly as you can. The sooner you're up, the sooner you feel better ❤️

I was a bmi of 33 and had surgery on 1/5/16. SW was 212 and CW is 145. After losing 14 lbs in the 1st two weeks, I steadily lost 2 lbs a week for the 1st 6 months. I have been 1-2 lbs a week for the last 2 months. I think those of us with low bmi do better with sagging skin issues and general bounce back of skin and tissue. My end goal is 135, which I hope to hit in the next month or 2. Overall, I am absolutely thrilled with my VSG results. My only complaint is heartburn issues, but even that is getting better with time.

It's been a great summer to wear a bikini, yoga pants and feel great about my body again. That says a lot for a girl who will be 47 in 2 weeks!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by teaqueen

Wow!! @@teaqueen you are so inspiring!! I wish I could just fast forward to where you are!

@ LowBMISleever thank you for your post. I can relate to you however I'm 9 years older and BMI is 35. My friend diabetes is knocking on my door and I'm terrified to let him in. I'm waiting for insurance approval and if I'm denied I will be considering my options w/Dr. Ortiz.

I am not ashamed to share my plans of surgery with friends. I am disappointed in some of their reactions but expected some to be negative. This is my life, my choice and have the support from family and doctors. It seems crazy for me not to pursue ......otherwise I will have a life long battle with weight loss, disease and endless prescriptions.

Thank you again for your post and good luck in your journey for a better healthier you.

@@Colleenslife

I wasn't ashamed to tell either, even though there was zero support pre-surgery.

Post-surgery has been a complete turn around. When I went to Mexico, I made a whatsapp group of everyone I told and kept them updated on everything. It's amazing to see how involved they are in my success now since they really understand the after surgery process. I don't have friends inviting me out to eat, because they know right now it would be too much temptation for me. I also don't have a problem visiting friends - they are so cute - they make sure the house doesn't smell like food for my benefit! I think since I involved them they all feel like they are part of my success.

If you've done your research, talked to other sleevers, drs, you know, mentally prepared for the surgery, nothing anyone says will steer you the other way.

My mom is going to get it done now. Even though she qualifies under medicare to have it done here inFlorida, she's going to Dr. Ortiz. She went with me when I got the surgery, and we all agree he's the best/ most experienced in the world. (My surgery took 15 minutes, zero complications, no drain, no catheter!) Explore your options, but rest assured if you end up in Mexico with Dr. Ortiz, you've ended up with the best. :) The other really nice thing was how quickly you could schedule the surgery. I called at the end of June and was sleeved and home by July 26th. That was a big deal to me. I can't imagine a 6 month waiting period!

This is the best thing I've ever done for myself and it sounds like it will be for you too.

Good luck! Keep us updated! Xoxo

Edited by LowBMISleever

Holy moly!! I just had my first egg. I only made it halfway through eating it and I was full. I'm saving the rest to heat up later. I used to eat 2 eggs with pancakes and hashbrowns...maybe some toast!!

#ILoveMySleeve

Today is 15 days out from surgery. I weigh 162lbs. Down 11 pounds, 18 w/ pre-op. I weigh daily. I go down 1/10th of a percentage in bodyfat daily and after the initial 8 pound drop, I drop a pound about every 3rd day at this point. Really hoping to be 155 by the end of the month. That would be a one month loss of 18 pounds, total loss of 25lbs - which I think would be incredible for such a low BMI. Keep you posted!

I started with 31.3 BMI and sleeved on 8/1. I don't check my weight due to PST issues, I will have it monitored by my Dr or therapist. I'm more concerned about fitting into smaller pants than a smaller number on the scale IMO.